1.    #1  
    I'm pretty anal about the condition of my phone, so I was pretty sick to my stomach yesterday when someone else dropped it, and put a nice little 1mm x 1mm gash in the middle of the screen.

Any thoughts on how to repair this? Someone suggested acrylic nail polish, but I haven't see anything online about this, so I don't want to try it until I research it a bit more.

Do the displays have any sort of coating on them? They're plastic, right?
    I havent had a pre apart, yet, but I personally think the entire front cover is laid over the screen and could be replaced. Most phones Ive taken apart have some kind of plastic of the screen istself.
    Do you have ins to cover if nothing else?
    And I couldnt see nail polish actually working in this situation. dunno though!
  3.    #3  
    I have insurance, but I don't think sprint techs are allowed to repair these phones. And as flakey as the hardware is, i'd be scared to get a refurb.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinHoMi View Post
    I have insurance, but I don't think sprint techs are allowed to repair these phones. And as flakey as the hardware is, i'd be scared to get a refurb.
    I replaced my launch day Pre with a refurb a couple of weeks ago, and the refurb has by far way better build quality than the one that developed a crack by the USB port.

Mine was replaced through Sprint and not insurance. Don't know if there is a difference, but if there isn't, don't be afraid to get a refurb.
  5.    #5  
    Well... My experience has been much different. We ordered 2 Pre's and one Pixi, and ALL were defective. The replacements weren't perfect either, but are better than the originals. Needless to say, I'd rather try to repair or hide the problem rather than risk another major hardware issue.

I'm not even sure that insurance would cover a relatively minor issue like this (as annoying as it may be to me).
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I found this on another forum;
    I might be able to help somewhat...

I've done a lot of plastic restoration (antique fountain pens of all things). Use Simichrome, a soft cloth, a little pressure and a bit of patience (watch TV so you don't get too bored), and you will smooth away those scratches on the plastic and the metal.

Also, for greater smoothness, to remove very light scratches AND to put on a protective coating, use MeGuiar's Plastic Cleaner/Polish.

You can look up both online. McGuire's is available at local auto supply stores. Simichrome should be as well,(I get Simichrome from a staind glass supply store) it's officially a chrome polish, but it's a very mild abrasive, excellent for smoothing out scratches.

For extreme scratches, start with a very fine sandpaper, almost a polishing grade, move to the Simichrome, then to the MeGuiar's.

I use the Meguiar's to protect my SWATCH watch crystals and bang them into things all the time with little or no effect.

Hope this helps!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    I replaced my launch day Pre with a refurb a couple of weeks ago, and the refurb has by far way better build quality than the one that developed a crack by the USB port.

Mine was replaced through Sprint and not insurance. Don't know if there is a difference, but if there isn't, don't be afraid to get a refurb.
    Same thing for me, had a crack in the lower right corner and I wasnt sure if Sprint would exchange it but they did.

Im very happy with the quality of the refurb.
    Quote Originally Posted by leftyman View Post
    Same thing for me, had a crack in the lower right corner and I wasnt sure if Sprint would exchange it but they did.

Im very happy with the quality of the refurb.
    Did you have TEP? Was there a copay, or was it completely free?
    Quote Originally Posted by pamisano View Post
    Did you have TEP? Was there a copay, or was it completely free?
    I have insurance but the store rep swapped it instore, no deductible.