Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Ok, I updated to 1.4 saturday morning and had no problems. Updated my patches with AUPT and the only problem I had was with the browser not working because of the multi-mod. I removed the multi-mod patch and everything was working fine. I read that Google Latitude was now working without the patch so I tried it out and sure enough, it worked like a charm.

However last night, Google Maps stopped working all together. What I mean is, when I would open the Google Maps app, the splash screen would pop up, it would take a while to load, and then I would get a white screen that says "Google Maps requires an internet connection" I had a 3G connection, wifi turned on and working, and GPS on. My browser is working just fine. I tried getting rid of terminal service plug in and the terminal app since I don't need them anymore but that didn't help. I tried aiming my browser towards Google Latitude but that didn't help. I tried clearing my browser's cache, but that didn't help.

I just learned by accident that if I open Google Maps and let it go to the "Google Maps requires an internet connection" page, then wait for it to go to "sleep" or the lock screen, and then unlock it, the Google Maps app is just a blank white screen which then refreshes, shows my map and my location and says loading friends (like it did with latitude) but then after a quick second goes back to the "Google Maps requires an internet connection" screen.

I have never installed the latitude work around patch, not before or after the update to 1.4. I even went back and removed the patches I had installed yesterday to see if that would help (Hide Nascar App and Ringer Switch Icon) but that did not help.

I am using a Pre on Sprint
    US
    WebOS 1.4
    Google Maps v1.4.0
    I do have patches and can list them if needed.
    I do not have any themes.

Please help
    hi im using an o2 uk pre, but i had the same problem. I switched the google background data collection on then rebooted and it now works
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    how'd you do that? I went to location services, then preferences and I have the option of "locate me using..." and I an choose GPS or Google Services but I didn't see anything for "google background data collection". I'm probably just looking in the wrong spot?
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    ok wow nevermind I guess... I just tried opening Google maps again and iit works fine... I didn't change anything but it's working. I haven't tried latitude again but maps is definitely working... Weird
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keatsseven View Post
    hi im using an o2 uk pre, but i had the same problem. I switched the google background data collection on then rebooted and it now works
    Mine was already on so I turned it off and rebooted. Tried Maps same problem. Then turned it on and rebooted. Still no joy.
    Try pulling the battery while it's on, then putting it back in and starting up again. Had the same problem, and this worked for me.

Edit: Just tried opening it again, and hey - same problem is back. Meh.
    Last edited by dgmarcus; 03/01/2010 at 05:02 PM. Reason: changed mind
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbode View Post
    Mine was already on so I turned it off and rebooted. Tried Maps same problem. Then turned it on and rebooted. Still no joy.
    Have you tried clearing your web browser's cache and cookies then rebooting? If that doesn't work, maybe check to see if you have any patches installed that might be messing with Google Maps
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I did have the Latitude patch but removed that after 1.4 update, waiting on a reboot
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Same problem, maybe Google's problem, but I'm going to call O2 tomorrow and complain.
    I can't open google maps since upgrading to WebOS 1.4.

For reference, there's a growing thread about this on Google's forums. I can't post links here yet, but you can find it if you google "palm pre google maps "requires an Internet connection".

Based on suggestions in that thread, I tried:
    • clearing browser cache
    • turning dev mode off
    • removing the latitude workaround patch (which isn't available for 1.4 yet anyhow)
    • changing language
    to Spanish and back to English

None of those worked for me.

Then I tried going to the google maps URL with mode=latitude, (see link in the google forum) in the Pre's browser. That opened the Google Maps app, and prompted me to log into my Google account. After I did that, Google Maps opened the map and showed my location, along with my Latitude profile picture and Latitude friends list. And now so far I can close Google maps and re-open it and it seems to be working. But- the reports on the Google forum indicate this might be short-lived. So... time will tell.
    Last edited by rigatony1; 03/06/2010 at 08:26 AM. Reason: updated info
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    yeah, with mine, it seemed completely random. As I said, it worked fine before and after the update to 1.4 then, boom. It stopped working. I tried all of the suggestions with plenty of restarts and still no go. Then after I got to work I tried one last time and out of nowhere, it was up and running just fine again. I have no clue how or what I did to fix it (or even if I did anything to fix it) but it's fixed. I can use Latitude and I've never had it stop working since then.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Not working on mine after the 1.4 update. I had latitude activated as well.

Just says "Google Maps requires an internet connection."

Help. :-(
    cool8man do like rigatony1 did, log in to your google account on the phone. If signed in already log out and sign back it. It worked for me also.
    Sometime you are the ball; sometimes you are the pins.
    Mine works ok with wifi connection, but has same problem with network data connection...

will try o2 tomorrow as it was also fine before 1.4....
    try turning airplane mode on then off again and see what happens
    like atl10pnr said...check this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...aps-broke.html

Just go to gmail.com or maps.google.com or any other google site that requires signin, and it should prompt you for your username and pw...enter it, and you're all set. If it does not, go to those, signout, then sign back in.
  17. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    OK, I've got my gmaps back . . . but no latitude. Any work arounds to make it work again since 1.4?
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dec View Post
    OK, I've got my gmaps back . . . but no latitude. Any work arounds to make it work again since 1.4?
    go to the following address in your web browser:

Google Latitude

that'll make latitude work again
    You have to go to a gmail page and log in again. Just bookmark the gmail page and login and you will be up and running like a champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by kdoggg View Post
    Mine works ok with wifi connection, but has same problem with network data connection...

will try o2 tomorrow as it was also fine before 1.4....
    so...
    I spoke to a person called an "O2 GURU" who informed me that if my sim card was old it would not reach the same data speeds as a new one... so one new sim card later and google maps is working a treat!

suggest anyone in uk struggling with it should check out the age of thier sim! new one was free!

;-)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast