Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1.    #1  
    I'm having a problem with the webOS 1.4 update in that when my screen locks, it freezes so i cant unlock my phone unless i pull the battery out.

    i have run EPR and done a command line removal of all previously installed patches.

    obviously a major inconvenience

    can someone help me??
  2. #2  
    i have the same problem but mines just restarts its self after being freeze for about 20 sec.
  3. #3  
    I just had it this morning for the first time when I pulled it off the touchstone. Lock froze and phone rebooted on it's own. I'm pretty sure I read about this issue somewhere, just have to do a search.

    Have to get ready for work so don't have time at the moment.
  4. #4  
    try to uninstall package manager service and preware if installed. And then reboot...
    Palm Prē + Touchstone + iGrip PerfektFit...
  5. #5  
    I'll try that but I did remember that I installed the multi-mod place holder right before the screen froze. I wonder if that had anything to do with it since this is the first time I had that happen?
  6. #6  
    Multimod doesnt work with 1.4. Uninstall it for now.
  7. #7  
    Package manager service/Preware is causing the issue it seems, uninstall and all should be fine.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by FesterTreo View Post
    Multimod doesnt work with 1.4. Uninstall it for now.
    Yes, I realize that multi mod doesn't work but there is a "place holder" available to download so that when the patch is updated it will notify you. I downloaded the place holder, not the actual patch.
  9. #9  
    I had uninstalled Preware/package manager and re-installed. A little while ago, I installed one of Jason's new file name format for photos. The one I installed was "Improved Photo Naming - Pre".

    Shortly after I installed it, my Pre went to sleep. When I went to wake it up, the screen was frozen with the lock icon at the bottom as well as all the other launcher icons. I tried swiping the lock icon, it moved a little and then the Pre rebooted on it's own.

    Not sure what is causing this behavior.
  10. #10  
    Ok...the screen froze for again for the 3rd time when I swiped the lock. It eventually rebooted on it's own.

    All 3 times it happened shortly after I updated/installed an app/patch via Preware.

    1st time: Installed Multi-mod place holder via Preware. Shortly afterwards screen froze when I swiped the lock symbol to unlock.

    2nd time: I installed the "Improved Photo naming - Pre app" via Preware. Shortly afterwards screen froze when I swiped the lock symbol to unlock.

    3rd time: I updated the JStop app via Preware. Shortly afterwards screen froze when I swiped the lock symbol to unlock.

    Once the phone reboots, I've never had the screen freeze when unlocking, which I do many times a day. The 3 times it's happened to me is right after an app/patch update/install via Preware.

    I've tried removing & re-installing the package manager and Preware but it still happens.

    Hopefully this information may offer some clues as to what the cause is. Also I should add, this has only happened after the 1.4.0 update, I've never had the screen freeze before, as far as I can remember.
  11. #11  
    Happened to me once,was using the phone alright, switched it off and after a min tried to power it on but the screen remained black. It surprised me and I pressed power btnn like 10 times then tried to press on the face button and the screen turned on like for a second and then the phone rebooted.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-360 View Post
    Package manager service/Preware is causing the issue it seems, uninstall and all should be fine.
    This is a bug in the proprietary Palm LunaSysMgr binary. Have a look in /var/log/lunasysmgr.log to see it.

    It is triggered by a number of applications, Preware being one of them.

    Note that there is a post on the Palm developer forums where this has happened to a developer who has never installed Preware or homebrew, and it happened while they were using the official Palm app catalog application.

    We have no way of debugging why it happens - it's in a closed Palm binary.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post

    1st time: Installed Multi-mod place holder via Preware. Shortly afterwards screen froze when I swiped the lock symbol to unlock.

    2nd time: I installed the "Improved Photo naming - Pre app" via Preware. Shortly afterwards screen froze when I swiped the lock symbol to unlock.

    3rd time: I updated the JStop app via Preware. Shortly afterwards screen froze when I swiped the lock symbol to unlock.
    Ok...I'll add a 4th time to that. Just updated JStop again via Preware. Less than 10 minutes later I swiped to unlock and the screen froze, so the issue is definitely repeatable, at least for me.

    I saw Rod's explanation and I guess we'll just have to wait for Palm to fix it. As a workaround I may try rebooting the phone after each update since that's what I end up doing anyhow when it freezes.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Ok...I'll add a 4th time to that. Just updated JStop again via Preware. Less than 10 minutes later I swiped to unlock and the screen froze, so the issue is definitely repeatable, at least for me.

    I saw Rod's explanation and I guess we'll just have to wait for Palm to fix it. As a workaround I may try rebooting the phone after each update since that's what I end up doing anyhow when it freezes.
    Interesting. I updated JStop this morning and did not experience this problem. I wonder why the difference?
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    Interesting. I updated JStop this morning and did not experience this problem. I wonder why the difference?
    I don't think it's the JStop app itself, it just happened to be updated twice and were my last 2 updates. See Rod's explanation...it's a bug in Palm's software.

    It definitely started with the 1.4.0 update. Not sure why some people see it and others don't. I thought it was interesting because it seems somewhat repeatable for me.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    Interesting. I updated JStop this morning and did not experience this problem. I wonder why the difference?
    It's an unaligned read access bug in LunaSysMgr. It could happen to any running application at any time. Preware just happens to be a big application using a lot of memory to display lots of information about 3000 packages, so it's more likely to trigger the Palm bug. People have reported the bug occurring with the app catalog app itself, so it's not even limited to homebrew.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  17. #17  
    Have you guys tried restarting your pre with your keyboard. I had a similar experience that you guys had. After re-starting with with the keyboard my phone was fine
  18. #18  
    Just wanted to report this is happening to me several times per day, and it started just after updating to 1.4.
  19. #19  
    Many people reporting this reboot issue that have never installed Preware/patches, think it's time for 1.4.1 update.
  20. stubbs's Avatar
    Posts
    425 Posts
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by JERAVICIOUS View Post
    Have you guys tried restarting your pre with your keyboard. I had a similar experience that you guys had. After re-starting with with the keyboard my phone was fine
    Of course it'll be fine after a reboot, that's not the issue. We just don't like Luna crashing on us. Hope they'll release a little fix soon.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions