1.    #1  
    Okay Boys and Girls,
    We spent the past month + waiting for this 1.4 update, and while it did not cure cancer, bring world peace, or any of that jazz, I have to say it still is a pretty darn good update. Yes....I know....the 1.4 update added some new features that the phone should have had since day one, but that's really not the point is it?
    There seems to be too much time and energy spent complaining for the sake of complaining, and bashing for the sake of bashing. I just don't get that. How do we expect Palm to succeed if we keep bashing everything that we possibly can. It's counter-productive.
    All I am asking for is for people to be OBJECTIVE, and OPEN-MINDED. We have a great opportunity here. How many of you used the first WinMO phone (probably not many), how many used the first iPhone (probably a bunch), and how many used the first Android (perhaps a bunch)? Those devices all had their own quirks, and problems, but the users plowed through and made their phones successful.
    We are part of the FIRST WebOS group EVER. And when the day comes where we have all contributed and made this platform successful, it'll feel good to look back and see how far we've come.
    We are all here for the same reason...to learn and to help each other. Instead of just complaining, look around and see what answers are out there. Don't just start a thread for the sake of starting a thread. Shoot one of the developers PM, and see if they can help you with your problem. Chances are that they can. Ask other members for help. Use the search feature and choose both choices when you do a search. Sometime what you are looking for is NOT the title of the thread, but may be CONTAINED inside another thread.
    We have a chance to be a part of a historical move in the world of mobile devices and operating systems. I for one am proud to be part of this community.
    Okay, that's all I have for right now....remember, we're all on the same team. Be a part of the SOLUTION, not part of the PROBLEM!

CHEERS!
    Robert
    Last edited by powerbyte; 02/28/2010 at 07:26 PM. Reason: forgot the M in Palm
    I likey take apart thingies....
    i personally have tried to convince myself along these same lines but being a pioneer isnt easy especially when the other os's have such incredible hardware
    finally someone with a brain... thank you! i mean people for god sakes we purchased a phone called the Pre... ("Pre" means "before". As in "predecessor" or "prehistoric".) i for one new what i was getting when i purchased this phone.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    i personally have tried to convince myself along these same lines but being a pioneer isnt easy especially when the other os's have such incredible hardware
    I'll agree with that...but nothing good ever came easy....
    Sounds good except people are being bashed just for discussing issues that they just want to learn more about. There are complainers and then there are those that are just looking for solutions or work arounds for specific problems.

There are quite a few people going into legit threads and bashing everyone just because they are discussing problems. That makes no sense and I'd ask anyone who doesn't want to be apart of those discussions to stay out of those threads. I don't know how many times I've seen the "negativity" police (there are people in this thread who are guilty of this) come rushing in proclaming that it's not right to discuss issues, that we should be happy palm even added certain features etc. That's great and all but by having the discussion people are trying to learn how to better use their devices. That's a lot different than you average "this phone sucks" thread.

Just another point of view...
    i just got my pre this month, and i really want it to have staying power. they are clearly fightintg an uphill battle contending with iphone and android phones. i dont have another upgrade until next year, hopefully we will look back and see that we made the right choice in palm and webos. if not then i will move on to a brand that has the staying power.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3721 View Post
    Sounds good except people are being bashed just for discussing issues. There are complainers and then there are those that are just looking for solutions or work arounds for specific problems.

There are quite a few people going into legit threads and bashing everyone just because they are discussing problems. That makes no sense and I'd ask anyone who doesn't want to be apart of those discussions to stay out of those threads. I don't know how many times I've seen the "negativity" police come rushing in proclaming that it's not right to discuss issues, that we should be happy palm even added certain features etc. That's great an all but by having the discussion people are trying to learn how to better use their devices. That's a lot different than you average "this phone sucks" thread.

Just another point of view...
    But I would say MOST of the issues that people are having with their phones could be solved just by looking around the board. SO MANY THREADS are started without the OP even beginning to look properly for an answer, nor turning to anyone else. They just scream "EVERYONE LOOK AT ME". What I am suggesting is that they try going about getting an answer a little differently. I actually saw a thread started recently about phone shutting off when they closed the slider (a problem that was addressed and solved back in late summer). Those are the kinds of things I am talking about. That and the "this phone sucks" threads are garbage.

While I understand that this is a world where free speech is the law of the land, this board has rules and regulations too. If we all tried to work within those rules and in the spirit of helping each other, then maybe we'd all be better off.

Cheers!
    Robert
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    sheds single tear*

also, cosign everything you said
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by CarloJ View Post
    i just got my pre this month, and i really want it to have staying power. they are clearly fightintg an uphill battle contending with iphone and android phones. i dont have another upgrade until next year, hopefully we will look back and see that we made the right choice in palm and webos. if not then i will move on to a brand that has the staying power.
    THIS BRAND can have staying power if we all work together to make it happen.
    Usually the bashing occurs mostly after unresearched for pretentious posts. Sometimes I'm a little curt but I believe the info I'm giving even in such cases is valuable feedback to the OP. It might help if search here did not default to "tags" by default (which it seems to do). There will always be users who legitimately try, but there will be others that complain without first asking for community help. At the risk of putting words in his mouth, I think PowerByte is simply asking people to be fair in their evaluations of the device, and to seek help before going into bashing mode. If that's the case, I second his motion!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    I love P/C. I've had problems and yes P/C had the answers.

I do agree that their is a bunch of garbage threads out their but their is also a lot of good here as well.

My thanks to P/C and all of the great developers and people who make this site so good.
    good post, but i only have one thing to say the pre is awsome but if it only had flash it would be the Floyd Mayweather of phones
    didnt he get beat up by that one giant guy
    Great post....you are right we need to use our energy to promote the community and help the build the webos family!!!
    All very great suggestions. I like seeing things like this, but I just think it'll fall on deaf ears. All some people know how to do is run around like a chicken with its head cut off. I've seen a lot of discussions, many angry, and that's to be expected if you can't find your solution but you're trying. But some people aren't even smart enough to try, they just scream "this sucks" or "omg help me" in as large a font as possible, but don't even explain their issue. It's like the people who rate apps low because they can't install it. I don't understand it.

I also don't understand the complaints about what the phone doesn't do or the rate of its development, knowing when or after you bought it that it didn't do squat. I've only had mine since last fall, and was surprised to find no video camera, no voice recorder, no option to even set your own ringtone for text messages. I found PreCentral and learned that my phone was basically being built from the bottom up, and I was fine with that. It's turning out to be the best phone I've ever had. But if I wasn't fine with it, pretty sure I would've taken it back and said give me something that's nice and polished right now.

I think it takes a little more than just being a consumer to be a Pre owner. I'm happy with my every other month updates and my 4.1 update. I'm happy that suddenly my camera disappeared and none of my videos played, and that I spent a full day looking for a solution. I'm happy about all of it because I feel that Palm and many, many Pre owners are dedicated to making the phone better and always having a solution to things that go wrong. I wish more people could take powerbyte's advice, but...some just aren't cut out for this ride.
    I am sure enjoying the PROGRESSION RIDE!!!!
    +1

Good post powerbyte, I agree. Not much else to say as you pretty much covered it all.
    I don't really care if people complain or are bitter. I just wish they didn't start another thread when we already have 8 already. Christ, SEARCH next time and post it in the appropriate forum. You don't need to start a thread saying Scoop doesn't work, go to the effing Scoop thread or the WebOSQI thread or the Preware thread, get at peope via twitter or email, and post your problem there and stop being so trigger-happy.