Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    I'll be honest, this whole situation with the 800, 725, 600, and 550 cpu patches just bums me out.

Why does the Android community seem so willing to push their phone to the limits yet the Palm community is more concerned about warnings, dangers, fears, etc. You accept the risks when you install these things, you're OVERCLOCKING naturally there are risks. Thus the word OVER. A few phones will crash, a few others will get bricked, but that's when you call on your insurance. The fact of the matter is the hardware on this phone is not very good, it lags behind the snapdragon now. Build quality was lacking for most everybody.

This is a rant, but it's out of frustration. I hope that somebody picks up the 800 mhz project and even makes a GUI implementation for it. I love the WebOS it's the best platform available, bar none. It's efficient and fun to use. It's homebrew community is large as well, but I just wish there were more people beind the whole overclocking thing, like android. Why not make a phone faster?

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by NABRIL15 View Post
    you can stop the updates if you follow these steps: Blocking Updates - WebOS Internals

I did it yesterday, and it works beautifully. Still on 1.3.5.1 and no update warning.
    thanks for the info but I'm on 1.4 now with everything fixed lol I'm not going through all that stuff again ... Wow what a mess that was.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Using Pandora and Wifi drains 10.77% per hour... (screen turned off)... doesnt seem to drain the battery any more than before!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodwing96 View Post
    Using Pandora and Wifi drains 10.77% per hour... (screen turned off)... doesnt seem to drain the battery any more than before!
    try the 800 patch one time and you will cry going back to 600 never mind 500 lol wow ... Really
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    you have no idea how tempted i am after seeing the video of it :/
    it's freaking amazing... Stock blows period.
    would someone mind pasting a link to that video?
    700-800mhz

thanks!
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hdc4 View Post
    700-800mhz

thanks!
    forget video I wanna try those tweaks on my phone already lol
    Quote Originally Posted by hdc4 View Post
    700-800mhz

thanks!
    I'd like to see the video as well.

I'm certainly content with 600... but if the 720/800 videos are THAT convincing... I still have about 8 months of my warranty left.
    Anybody running the 800 patch on 1.4? I still have the file from when I was a tester but did not install it since they said it was lacking the kernals. I do not feel comfortable sharing this one however.
    Quote Originally Posted by stir fry a lot View Post
    Anybody running the 800 patch on 1.4? I still have the file from when I was a tester but did not install it since they said it was lacking the kernals. I do not feel comfortable sharing this one however.
    There is a bug in the 1.4 kernel so that the 800 patch does NOT work with CDMA phones. It'll work without CDMA functionality, at least... so if you're a wifi-only user... there shouldn't be any issue.

GSM users should be able to install 800 patch normally after 1.4 update.

Noticed how I used the word *should*. Nothing is guaranteed.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    There is a bug in the 1.4 kernel so that the 800 patch does NOT work with CDMA phones. It'll work without CDMA functionality, at least... so if you're a wifi-only user... there shouldn't be any issue.

GSM users should be able to install 800 patch normally after 1.4 update.

Noticed how I used the word *should*. Nothing is guaranteed.

Damn it! I installed 1.4 over the 800 mhz patch and maintained the speed with no side effects. Only when i tried to uninstall did i botch it. I wonder if that is a method that would work?
    I've heard that the 600 MHz patch doesn't stick after a 1.4 update.... so I have no doubt that the 800 MHz would have been wiped after a 1.4 update as well. There's just no way that both the kernel and Luna Manager were not overwritten with the update.

The "maintained speed" you saw could very well have been a placebo effect of believing it stuck???
    I've just upgraded to 600mhz and I've already noticed a slightly quicker experience, but nothing mind blowing. I want to see the 800 in action! I've been looking everywhere for a video to no avail.
    +1

I'd like to see what a Pre cooking an egg sunny side up actually looks like.
    Does it use that much more battery if the phone is in standby most of the time. At my work i'm behind 8ft high density concrete so that really sucks for signal and my battery is horrible at work.
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    Android phones are built better..that's why
    Umm... Android is just an operating system. Has nothing to do with the hardware whatsoever.

The iPhone 3GS & Droid both have the same hardware as the Pre. They all have the same theoretical potential.
    the andorid hardware i've played with has been better than my pre. the moment, hero and droid feel more solid. I would expect that to run all the way down to the heat sinks on the chipsets.

My point being that there must be a reason android users feel more comfortable overclocking it.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Well, the Droid's keyboard absolutely sucks. The Hero has NO keyboard and forces you to use a terrible virtual keyboard (IMHO). The Moment.... Well, hardware might not be THAT bad... but you don't get the same awesome OMAP processor that's in the Pre, 3Gs, Droid, etc...

And the best part about Android.... good luck getting 2.0 or 2.1 anytime before the summer. Really, you're gonna need it.

It's amazing to me that people don't see the best blend of tradeoffs that Palm has given us with the FIRST Pre. Here we go... nine months later... and other phones are just NOW starting to catch up, but Android will NEVER be able to catch up to webOS OTA updates.
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast