Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys, I know I'm new to this forum, but I figured I'd make a thread about this issue.

Since yesterday, I've seen others (including myself) experience a problem with WebOSQuickInstall and Preware giving a "Memory Critical, Too Many Cards Open!"

At this point, the phone locks up and the only thing you can do is pull out the battery and turn it back on.

Another Member named tmm0f5 figured out a fix for this. I give him all the credit for fixing my phone.
    Open WebOS Quick Install. With phone attached go to Tools then Linux Command Line.

Type:

ls -l /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/lists

It will list some files. Find the one that is very large. Mine was precentral. Then type (using precentral as the example):

rm /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/lists/precentral
    I hope this helps every one that is experiencing this issue and stops people from posting the same topic over and over. This should come up as a search as well.
    i found just uninstalling and reinstalling preware/package manager service also works
    this is all great and everything.... but what if your Pre is so loaded down that it won't respond to commands especially those on the touch screen? and getting it into "charge only" mode so that I can actually use webOS QI (and pray the USB connection is recognized) is nearly impossible. I've been working on this thing for two hours already and no dice.

forget Preware. Ill never use it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by chadrudolph View Post
    this is all great and everything.... but what if your Pre is so loaded down that it won't respond to commands especially those on the touch screen? and getting it into "charge only" mode so that I can actually use webOS QI (and pray the USB connection is recognized) is nearly impossible. I've been working on this thing for two hours already and no dice.

Restart right before plugging into the computer...should give you enough time to hit just charge.
    this does not help if you cant even load preware lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    for the record, WOSQI does not use the ipkg lists, so WOSQI is not one of the causes of the issue
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    for the record, WOSQI does not use the ipkg lists, so WOSQI is not one of the causes of the issue
    is it diffstat thats the problem or gnu patch??
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    is it diffstat thats the problem or gnu patch??
    neither. My understanding is that the issue is with the ipkg lists, created/managed/used by preware
    will WebOS QI work with the Pre in restore mode (with the big USB symbol on front)

that is at least one thing I can do with the phone... that and use it as a paperweight
    haha.. oh yeah. and to use webOS QI DEV mode has to be enabled. and I don't leave DEV mode on; on my Pre... so somehow I'm supposed to get it turned on while it's behaving like this.

this is such BS
    haha.. oh yeah. and to use webOS QI DEV mode has to be enabled. and I don't leave DEV mode on; on my Pre... so somehow I'm supposed to get it turned on while it's behaving like this.

this is such BS
    You need to learn some civility and be grateful. Preware and webosquickinstall and all webos internals is done by volunteers. They are volunteering their time and efforts with no personal compensation. They are doing this for the community to be helpful. No one is forced to donate. It's there free for the taking. So if you can't be part of the solution at least appreciate the effort that's being put into it.
    my civility went out the window when a program I use voluntarily rendered my phone absolutely useless. pardon me if I'm not in a thankful mood because of this.

any other options other than taking my phone to Sprint for a replacement? because as of yet I have to see any.

the problem appears solved so long as my phone is in Dev mode and I can actually get it to connect to my computer so that I can use webOS QI.
    This trick also worked for me, but my problem was the Palm catalog, not Preware. I didn't have Preware installed, but was trying to install it. Now I'm good to go
    well, I finally got webOS doc to work. so adios with the old, hello to the new
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kkumar99 View Post
    i found just uninstalling and reinstalling preware/package manager service also works
    meeeee too!:d
    After countless times of resetting the phone, it appears to have turned on without the critical memory notification. I was trying to beat the notification by going into the developer mode to confirm if I had turned it on recently(as I thought I did). The developer mode was on(to my understanding, it has to be on to allow webOS quick install to function. well i typed the above -l /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/lists . However after typing this in, I received msg that permission was denied.

and now after 5 minutes of just sitting there my phone has once again given me the critical memory notification...though i can confirm the developer mode is on.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxxpowerr View Post
    After countless times of resetting the phone, it appears to have turned on without the critical memory notification. I was trying to beat the notification by going into the developer mode to confirm if I had turned it on recently(as I thought I did). The developer mode was on(to my understanding, it has to be on to allow webOS quick install to function. well i typed the above -l /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/lists . However after typing this in, I received msg that permission was denied.

and now after 5 minutes of just sitting there my phone has once again given me the critical memory notification...though i can confirm the developer mode is on.
    if you have internalz on your phone you can go through the same steps (of sorts)
    just opne internals and navigate to the dir /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/lists

and search for the largest file and delete it... also to my understanding the latest package manager fixes this issue so uninstall PM ans reinstalling the new one from WOQI shgould resolve this problem
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmNSH View Post
    Hey guys, I know I'm new to this forum, but I figured I'd make a thread about this issue.

Since yesterday, I've seen others (including myself) experience a problem with WebOSQuickInstall and Preware giving a "Memory Critical, Too Many Cards Open!"

At this point, the phone locks up and the only thing you can do is pull out the battery and turn it back on.

Another Member named tmm0f5 figured out a fix for this. I give him all the credit for fixing my phone.

I hope this helps every one that is experiencing this issue and stops people from posting the same topic over and over. This should come up as a search as well.

Here is how you can see what the size of each list should be:
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Look at the size of the Packages file in each of the feeds at Index of /feeds/

-- Rod
    Rod, mentioned that they are not able to replicate this issue and if anyone has an abnormally large file that it would be of great help to let them trouble shoot it via IRC....

Here is the thread with the discussion: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...aning-var.html
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
    Probably a good idea.
    Well, here is the skinny: Too many cards crashed my phone. Just would not do anything. I mean anything. No phone calls will be recd, no nothing. And when I plug it in it will charge but will not be recognized even to doctor it. Now, my phone is critical ( so is everyones' ) so went to the store and after some serious discussions, the store mgr took the phone and asked for time. Went without a phone for half a day and it was replaced. They could do nothing with it!
    So what caused this? The new phone was updated to the new 1.4 already and have been looking at it. It appears that 1.4 already comes with many pages enabled although there is no option to open a new one. I wonder if this - already enabled multiple pages along with the preware patch to add new pages made the old one crash?
    Would like to hear from those who were affected.
    Also Rod to note and investigate.
    Just doing what little I can to help solve.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast