Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chadrudolph View Post
    this is all great and everything.... but what if your Pre is so loaded down that it won't respond to commands especially those on the touch screen? and getting it into "charge only" mode so that I can actually use webOS QI (and pray the USB connection is recognized) is nearly impossible. I've been working on this thing for two hours already and no dice.

forget Preware. Ill never use it again.
    Thanks for your support. Please find enclosed your refund

Quote Originally Posted by MLJones8 View Post
    Here is how you can see what the size of each list should be:

Rod, mentioned that they are not able to replicate this issue and if anyone has an abnormally large file that it would be of great help to let them trouble shoot it via IRC....

Here is the thread with the discussion: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...aning-var.html
    We're able to replicate the issue where an erroneously large feed database cache file causes Preware to suck up huge amounts of memory, and this is fixed by a correct reinstall (i.e. not with fileCoaster or PreLoad or PreUpdate) of the latest Package Manager Service.

We are unable to replicate any issue that occurs without running Preware. In particular, we are unable to replicate the issue stated by the poster above where there is an issue in being able to boot the phone or connect to it to reinstall the Package Manager Service.

There is a new version (0.9.38) of the Package Manager Service in the alpha testing feeds now which deletes any erroneously large feed database cache files on each reboot. Once a few other people have tested that, I'll release it.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Rod, for me, at least, I could not connect it via USB to be recognized and could not even use the doctor. Had to pull the batt out so many times that I did not bother to put the back cover on. But the moment the device is done booting up, it freezes up and the "too many cards" **** came up. I wish palm came up with a way to reset the device to factory defults like the old palms did. Hold up and power thing, if you know what I mean.
    There was no way to go into any thing to delete "large database cache files" .
    I love Preware and was the coolest thing on the pre. I did not like WOSQI because it still reqd a PC to do its thing. Nothing against Jason either.
    And am willing to help fix it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    Rod, for me, at least, I could not connect it via USB to be recognized and could not even use the doctor. Had to pull the batt out so many times that I did not bother to put the back cover on. But the moment the device is done booting up, it freezes up and the "too many cards" **** came up. I wish palm came up with a way to reset the device to factory defults like the old palms did. Hold up and power thing, if you know what I mean.
    There was no way to go into any thing to delete "large database cache files" .
    I love Preware and was the coolest thing on the pre. I did not like WOSQI because it still reqd a PC to do its thing. Nothing against Jason either.
    And am willing to help fix it.
    Jason and I both use both tools, so I doubt either of us will take offense

I need someone who has the problem, but can get to the Linux command line to debug.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    For what it is worth, My wife's Pre is a virgin. No dev mode and no preware. It is bone stock. Well after the 4.1 update, she reports that she saw the too many cards warning as well. With no cards open at all.
    Had no answer for that. She did not see it today!
    My daughter's Pixi was just as jailbroken as my old pre and after update to 4.1 has no issues. She has updated the preware after the 4.1 and has zero issues. I have asked her to not touch the preware until we get all this sorted out.
    Hope all this makes some sense. Trying to help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    For what it is worth, My wife's Pre is a virgin. No dev mode and no preware. It is bone stock. Well after the 4.1 update, she reports that she saw the too many cards warning as well. With no cards open at all.
    Had no answer for that. She did not see it today!
    My daughter's Pixi was just as jailbroken as my old pre and after update to 4.1 has no issues. She has updated the preware after the 4.1 and has zero issues. I have asked her to not touch the preware until we get all this sorted out.
    Hope all this makes some sense. Trying to help.
    Thanks, that is all very good information.

The big files problem seems to have been caused by the server overload making the server return huge files back to the Pre, which it then stored in /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/lists, and sucks up all the memory when Preware is loaded. So it will only affect some people, and correctly reinstalling the Package Manager Service will fix it (since as of 0.9.27 it deletes all such cache files on install).

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    if you have internalz on your phone you can go through the same steps (of sorts)
    just opne internals and navigate to the dir /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/lists

and search for the largest file and delete it.
    Internalz does not let me delete any of those files. There is no delete function unless I'm missing it. All I get is Info, Open and Copy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Internalz does not let me delete any of those files. There is no delete function unless I'm missing it. All I get is Info, Open and Copy.
    Internalz won't let you delete outside of /media/internal
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Internalz won't let you delete outside of /media/internal
    Thanks...I didn't think so, I was wondering if sketch42 (poster who I quoted) had found a way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    for the record, WOSQI does not use the ipkg lists, so WOSQI is not one of the causes of the issue
    The cause of the issue is the overloaded web server during the 8 hours after 1.4 was released, which caused devices to get erroneously large list files cached on the device.

I've just confirmed that if you have such a situation, then running either WebOS Quick Install or Preware will cause the underlying ipkg command to be run, which will read that erroneously large list file, and cause all memory to be exhausted.

So the fix is to use the WebOS Quick Install Linux CommandLine and cut and paste (do not type it manually, cause you don't want any errors) the following line, then hit the enter/return key:

Code:
    rm -f /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/lists/*
    Then update Preware and the Package Manager Service to the latest versions.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Thanks, that is all very good information.

The big files problem seems to have been caused by the server overload making the server return huge files back to the Pre, which it then stored in /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/lists, and sucks up all the memory when Preware is loaded. So it will only affect some people, and correctly reinstalling the Package Manager Service will fix it (since as of 0.9.27 it deletes all such cache files on install).

-- Rod
    hi. same issue here. actually Im trying to start the phone, but the not enought memory issue, its not letting me go very far...my pre locks up.
    I guess my intent to update to 1.4 began my path to this problem. I initially attempted to open preware to prepare for update by removing patches and theme. From that moment I was unable to open preware as my phone would hang and freeze. The final straw appeared to be an attempt to download the nba scores app. The phone froze on installation. I threw away the "installing" card or maybe reset the phone. I don't remember if the phone was slowly chugging along or completely frozen.

Well yesterday after doctoring the phone I immediately got the 'critical memory' msg again. After a couple of resets the phone did turn on with a message stating xx amount of apps failed to load. From this point the phone functioned enough to make calls, send/receive txt msgs. When I had time I sat down and attempted to update one of the apps that did not load properly. The apps which failed had a blue ring on the right top corner of the app icon. I attemted to redownload the weather channel app. Of course the phone ended up hanging on installation again.

Now my phone is once again getting "critical memory" notifications on startup.
    I doctored my phone again to no avail. After reseting and within 5 minutes of just sitting there it gets the critical memory notification.
    If you have to doctor try doing it this way

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...008-rules.html

This should give you a "clean sweep" if i understand correctly and sprint told me they did a "clean sweep" to get my phone working again. This method should work as a normal dr visit doesn't seem to take care of the problem.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! what an easy fix (for me because all i had to do was type the code in the command line). you guys are truly amazing. keep up the great work. i will donate when i am not broke!
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The big files problem seems to have been caused by the server overload making the server return huge files back to the Pre [snip] correctly reinstalling the Package Manager Service will fix it (since as of 0.9.27 it deletes all such cache files on install).
    This appears to be my situation last weekend. I tried to use Preware Saturday morning when the poor web server was clearly overloaded. I had many problems, mainly the phone randomly crashing within Preware and within the Palm app catalog. I was eventually able to upgrade the package manager service and that seems to have cured it.

I still have phone instability ("memory critical/too many cards" and random crashes) but at a rate much reduced from last weekend. Preware runs just fine now.

If there were some way to back up all of my application data, I would just doctor the phone, but I have too much irreplaceable application data to consider doctoring the phone unless I truly have no other option. At some point I'll have to use WebOSQI to try to copy all of my important application data off the phone (not just the Palm profile, but saved game data, saved passwords, application preferences for a dozen applications, and more).
    so this fix works for the to many cards error everyone is getting ??
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    anyone??
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    How large is an "erroneously large feed database cache file" ... ?

Internalz shows precentral at 726KB, webos-patches at 283KB, palm-web at 270KB, palm-beta 100KB and every other feed (that I follow) well below 100KB.

The precentral feed seems a little big to me, but it's certainly not outlandish. 256 Mega Bytes should handle that easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post

Internalz shows precentral at 726KB, webos-patches at 283KB, palm-web at 270KB, palm-beta 100KB and every other feed (that I follow) well below 100KB.

The precentral feed seems a little big to me, but it's certainly not outlandish. 256 Mega Bytes should handle that easily.
    i put that code into my linux command line and it gave me no info at all????
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post

See post #18

But for the record... those sound like typical sizes to me. The one time I had a problem Prethemer package was something like 100mb's
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast