1.    #1  
    I just upgraded to 1.4 and all seemed to go well. I tried to install some game apps and I keep getting install failed errors. I would like to do a nice clean WebOS install using the doctor but from all accounts I would lose all my texts and call logs. There are some long forum posts about attempts to back this stuff up but it sure doesnt make me feel warm and fuzzy after reading about people trying it. I cant believe after 8 months that Palm still REFUSES to give us any simple way to back up EVERYTHING!!!!! We were able to do this YEARS ago on the Treo. Dont palm employees or engineers use their own product? Surely they must want / need to back up stuff once in a while? This is just so stupid! And Palm wonders why their sales are far lower than expected? PALM - its not marketing - you forgot the basics!
    sorta agree...a medium like itunes to backup iproducts is really great. And yeah palm should make something similar...thats free too...all the 3rd party things that do this cost $30+ mostly
    agreed. but then I think about all the text I would still have if I could restore a backup after doctoring..... wow......
    Quote Originally Posted by srdiamond View Post
    I cant believe after 8 months that Palm still REFUSES to give us any simple way to back up EVERYTHING!!!!! We were able to do this YEARS ago on the Treo. Dont palm employees or engineers use their own product? Surely they must want / need to back up stuff once in a while? This is just so stupid! And Palm wonders why their sales are far lower than expected? PALM - its not marketing - you forgot the basics!
    While it may have been possible on the Treo isn't the issue. If they wanted to, they could create a desktop sync solution, I'm sure. They've taken a philosophical stance (whether you agree that's it's correct or not) that they want to rely on the cloud exclusively.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  5.    #5  
    I would welcome it if Palm relied on the cloud to backup our texts and call logs... but the bottom line is that they are not backed up ANYWHERE and there is no Palm or 3rd party application for backing them up either. Currently there are ZERO options, which is what really perturbs me.
    Last edited by srdiamond; 02/28/2010 at 06:34 PM.
    Get a different phone, then.
    I just reset my phone w/ webos doctor to start clean and it surprisingly backed up my calendar, synched accts, contacts, memos, pictures, tasks, app catalog apps, my web bookmarks, all my amazon and regular music. It was pretty nice.

And I don't care about sms and call log backup tho. So when nothing showed, I didn't care.
    sprint ats. Bleh.

palm pre
    cloud doesn't back up text. Why not?
    While I would like a way to backup my texts locally...

I ABSOLUTELY WOULD NEVER allow a third party to archive/backup my private texts. Bad idea.

I know phone companies might have that capabilty, but if Palm offerred backup and I couldn't opt out, this phone would go straight in the trash.
    OP, you can always get a different phone.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  11.    #11  
    Ok - I can relate to that reasoning to see a justification for Palm not allowing texts and call logs to be backed up in the cloud, although there is no reason it shouldnt be an option that we could opt out of. But the real issue is still why they dont have SOME WAY to back this stuff up - no way is not the correct answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    OP, you can always get a different phone.
    There seems to be a current of misunderstanding the point of a forum is one where a public discussion occurs so if you don't agree than write a thoughtful response instead of flaming. The issues that the op raises are very valid and it seems a lot of people are not getting the phone as a result of issues that palm has not addressed. The recent news about not meeting sales goal is the result of someone not listening and not having the resources to address them.
    I'm happy with the backup. Would rather palm spent the time and $$$ backing up txt and call logs and devoted it to the sdk and c40 instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    I'm happy with the backup. Would rather palm spent the time and $$$ backing up txt and call logs and devoted it to the sdk and c40 instead.
    +1, the mythical c40 is pretty much the only thing that is going to keep Palm from being bought.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by baby-huey View Post
    There seems to be a current of misunderstanding the point of a forum is one where a public discussion occurs so if you don't agree than write a thoughtful response instead of flaming. The issues that the op raises are very valid and it seems a lot of people are not getting the phone as a result of issues that palm has not addressed. The recent news about not meeting sales goal is the result of someone not listening and not having the resources to address them.
    The difference is that Palm is moving to the cloud as a philosophical choice that folks are aware of up front. Then a bunch of people buy the phone and are ****ed they can't sync everything to their desktops...That is not the direction they are headed, so you can either: Decide that you can live with it or get a different phone. Getting the phone and then *****ing constantly about it doesn't seem like the best course of action.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    What other phones allow backup of texts and call logs before the user reloads the phone? Just curious.
    Wait, my 755p backed up texts? Why do i not recall this?
  18.    #18  
    Every TREO I have owned since the 600 has had a simple PC backup of texts and call logs and everything. Its like Palm is having to relearn the basics all over again, but considering most of Palm is new management, maybe thats the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by srdiamond View Post
    Every TREO I have owned since the 600 has had a simple PC backup of texts and call logs and everything. Its like Palm is having to relearn the basics all over again, but considering most of Palm is new management, maybe thats the issue.
    Those "simple PC backup[s]" were all third-party software. Palm Desktop didn't back them up by default.
    Quote Originally Posted by baby-huey View Post
    Since when does offering a different option, flaming? Also, where is the documentation proving that many are NOT getting the phone because you can't backup everything?

Most ppl that I know who have opted to not get the phone related their choice to HW quality, not backup issues. Word-of-mouth if a very powerful way of advertising. When one peer describes poor hw quality issues to another peer, it doesn't bode well for the mentioned device.

Last point, Palm doesn't hide the fact that their backup solution is the cloud and not a desktop method. This has been the case since the Pre was first announced at CES in 2009.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!