Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am hoping to find some insight into whether or not the pre plus is for me. I've done all kinds of research, but thought coming here would be a great place to hear from some actual owners.

I have a blackberry and my husband has a droid. I like his phone but it is just to much for me. I'm currently looking for another phone and not sure I want to go with blackberry. I saw the pre plus and fell in love with its design, but am only familiar with blackberries.

So here is what is important to me.
    1. Text messaging How easy is it on the pre? Is the SMS threaded?
    2. Email I've read hotmail works, but I wanted to make sure it does?
    3. web browsing Are you limited in any way in web browsing?
    4. How is the music player? Playlist making?
    5. How good is the camera? My camera stinks on my bb.
    6. Tethering We are not able to get any other internet where we live, so I have to tether. How is the tethering?
    7. I read that you could not personlize your alerts and ring tones. Is this true? What about the background, can you use whatever you want? I love to personalize my phone, and this could be a big problem for me.

Wow, I know that is alot, but I'm very thankful for anyone who takes the time to respond!
    Hi link

1) Txt messaging is fully threaded and the msging app controls both the txt msgs and any IMs.
    2) Hotmail works fine. MSN messenger only works if you add a 3rd party plug in
    3) No limitations with webbrowsing - will be even better once Adobe releases the flash 10 plugin (webos is ready to go)
    4) Music player is pretty good. There are other players out there like the music player remix.
    5) Camera is very good. I personally have no issues taking family photos with it and video camera is very nice now
    6) Tethering on the Palm is very good. Thats one of its big selling points. On verizon you have to pay for that service but they allow 5 units.
    7) Alerts and ring tones have been adjusted with this patch allowing customization but there are other patches as well that allow you to customize it.
  3.    #3  
    Thank you for your quick response! I'm convinced to go with the pre plus. I was concerned with spending 150 on the pre not knowing anything about it. I look at my husband's droid and say to myself, that phone was definitely worth what we paid because it does so much. I want to make sure I'm going to feel that way with the pre.
    The big problem with most people who use the pre is that they just dont get the concept of multitasking. They open an app, close it, open another close it etc. You should open and leave open your 3-4 main apps you use all the time (dialer, msging, cal, browser) and then just flip between them.

Also notifications on the Pre rock.

edit: also the touchstones are god sends. Can't remember the last time I hooked my pre to my computer via a wire.
    The Pre seems smoother, easier to navigate and to know what programs are open and which ones are not (this info is not obvious on the Droid)

the Droid seems more confusing to me in the way that it works and is bigger so not as easy to carry around. I've heard that people who love gmail, love the Droid but if you don't use gmail as your everyday, the Droid is less attractive.

if you decide for the pre, you can always come back to this forum and ask questions, plenty of people around to answer
    So i'm on the same boat. I love WebOS and don't really care for the app count on webOS vs android. IMO, the android app count seems bloated since the majority of the 'apps' they count are themes.

Anyways, my major concern is the battery life. From what i'm hearing, the phone is unable to last the entire day under moderate use and this is a major problem. I don't mind if I have to charge it every night but having to charge it twice a day is just ridiculous.

So, my question to you is, if I were to get this phone, what would be required to get this thing to last an entire day with moderate use for texting and occasional internet usage?

also, would I be able to use my centro battery in the pre?
    The problem with getting the Pre Plus is that your husband will want one too. You better get in on the buy one get one free at Verizon.
    i'm quite sure you'll love it, especially if you like to customize. with the themes that you can have, it can be quite beautiful. and that goes way beyond just having a cool wallpaper.

in a way, the fact that you even have these questions speaks to how poor the marketing is for Pre. it will do everything you need as listed, and do it in a way that will make you wonder why it isn't outselling most other phones.

make sure to check out the threads on here for getting started with your pre, and look into preware. it really makes this phone into something amazing!

we'll see you back here soon.
    Texting and moderate internet usage should get the battery to last through the day. It also depends on the strength of the signal because if it has to search for a weak signal, it will eat battery life (same as any other phone). My phone is now lasting through the day with all the battery improvements from the software updates. I also bought a slightly larger battery to use when I am on trips and using gps heavily--it gives an extra bit of time, maybe an hour (1800 Amzer, search for it on the forums)

If you are at a desk during the day, you can just buy a touchstone and set the phone on that when you are not using it.

If you are in a place with a wifi network, you can turn wifi on and that will probably also help with battery.
    linkboom

A lot of your questions were answered. So I thought I'd chime in and touch base on the camera app.

I'm posting my flickr page. Every photo was taken with the Palm Pre and no photo was edited or manipulated in any way. They are all stock photos taken with my PRE.

Flickr: The Opus Fuller's Photostream

Hope you enjoy the Pre if that's the device you choose to buy.
  11.    #11  
    Wow! Once again thank you for all your responses! People on the BB forums are never this nice and quick to help.

I usually have to charge my BB halfway through the day anyway, so this won't bother me.
    FYI Link, if you do decide to purchase the Pre Plus. I checked Best Buy Mobile's website and the Pre Plus shows $99.99. Also, checked Amazon but it was $149.99 as well. Radioshack & Wal-Mart didn't even list the Pre Plus in their search .

For themes to customize the Pre, check out the theme section here on this site and also google Pre Themer (I don't have 10+ posts to post the link).
    Can you comment on the phone quality?

I use my phone as a phone more than anything else. (LG VX8700)

I also use it in speaker mode very often. Works pretty well.

How does the pre plus perform in that area.

Thanks,
    rusty
    Pre on Sprint works great and I can't think of why the Preplus wouldn't be the same. My preferred mode is speaker and people can hear me clearly even on conference calls, whether using speaker or not. I also use bluetooth (plantronics 903) and people hear me clearly on that as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by rtrain View Post

Thanks,
    rusty
    Very well! I cannot complain. I do conference calls, and all those other things daily and I haven't run into an issue yet. The multi-tasking is also nice if you wanna pull up a note or something like that while you're on the phone.
    I have owned my pre for about a month now and there are definitely some pros and cons. I also came from a blackberry and therefore compare the two experiences a lot. I would consider myself an average user, haven’t even downloaded preware yet-don’t worry, I’m doing it now since 1.4 is finally on my phone. I am sure some of my complaints can be fixed with homebrew stuff and if anyone wants to tell me how, I welcome any recommendations.

Clearly, it will depend on your needs, but if I could go back and do it all over again, as much as I want to love my pre, I would probably just go for the Droid or Eris (since it has Sense). Although, I hope that having PreWare and all it’s perks will change my mind.

THE GOOD
    Backup. My dog ate my phone mere days after getting it and when I got a replacement everything was there except my music and photos. It was amazing and wonderful.

Notifications are beautiful and don’t get in your way. You don’t have to close anything to see what the notification is.

Multitasking. It’s a beast, need I say more. No more having to re-enter that address into google maps just cause you had to send an email. It’s still there waiting for you.

SMS/IM. It’s so nice to have a clear conversation that can switch from SMS to IM and back with ease.

The music player. It’s better than blackberry but I still have not figured out how to make playlists. I feel like this shouldn’t be so confusing.

It is beautiful. Both the software and hardware and beautiful and nice to look at and touch.

The calendar. It’s so appealing and so organized. I love it.

The browser. ‘nuff said.

Storage. You can hold plenty of apps, especially compared to the blackberry where you can only have a few before it can’t handle it.

THE MEDIOCRE
    The battery. It makes it through a work day when I am not using it all that much but on the weekends, when I am constantly playing with it, I have to carry an extra battery.

The camera. Quality is fine for a camera phone but you can’t zoom, or if you can I sure haven’t been able to figure out how.

It’s slow. Not as slow as my old curve but slower than my husband’s Tour.

Getting a data signal. I don’t get as good a signal, in as many places as, my husband’s Verizon Tour.

The number of apps. It doesn’t come close to the iphone but compared to blackberry and android I haven’t been at all disappointed.

Personalization. You can personalize ringtones and anything else you might want, but to really customize you have to get preware patches and stuff, which is fine but not as easy as on Blackberry.

THE BAD
    The keyboard. It’s terrible. Once you get used to the buttons being not at all click-y, it’s slightly better but I CONSTANTLY get double letters and letters that I definitely pushed don’t register. It takes me twice as long to type a message on this phone as my blackberry and it’s not getting any better. Many other people have reported these problems as well.

Downloading content. There is a lot of content you simply cannot download directly. On my blackberry I often downloaded a lot of content from the web, whether it be free mp3s or ringtones from blackberry or whatever. It doesn’t work on the Pre. You have to download these things on your computer and then put them on your pre from there. That annoys me.

Gmail integration. You can get, respond to and forward emails but you can’t even archive. I end up using the gmail through the browser instead.

Copy and Paste. You can do it. For sure. Unfortunately there are SO many places where text cannot be copied including any menus, movie times in flixter, random places on the web, and even addresses you get from gmail CANNOT be copied and pasted. It’s a little ridiculous and even frustrating at times.

Call quality. Even my curve was better. Also, forget about holding it with your shoulder while you do other things. All you hear is scratching and static.

If your phone is on WiFi you cannot send any MMS (picture) messages. Frankly, it’s pathetic.

Apps aren’t robust enough or integrated enough, by a long shot.
    -First, apps aren’t integrated enough to notify you of things. Neither my twitter nor my facebook apps notify me when I have new content, wall posts, messages or whatever. I have to just keep checking. Same with the RSS feeds I have tried. Annoying.
    -Their robustness pales in comparison to blackberry apps, which isn’t saying much. I see this across the board. Example: Google maps won’t let you pick multiple destinations or save destinations for later use. Heaven forbid I am doing errands and want them all shown in one place. Another Example: podcast feeds won’t download automatically and store it on my phone so that when I am on the subway I can listen to them with no signal. The facebook and twitter apps I have tried give you extremely limited functionality as compared to their blackberry counterparts. Same with many other apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by linkboom View Post
    I am hoping to find some insight into whether or not the pre plus is for me. I've done all kinds of research, but thought coming here would be a great place to hear from some actual owners.

I have a blackberry and my husband has a droid. I like his phone but it is just to much for me. I'm currently looking for another phone and not sure I want to go with blackberry. I saw the pre plus and fell in love with its design, but am only familiar with blackberries.

So here is what is important to me.
    1. Text messaging How easy is it on the pre? Is the SMS threaded?
    2. Email I've read hotmail works, but I wanted to make sure it does?
    3. web browsing Are you limited in any way in web browsing?
    4. How is the music player? Playlist making?
    5. How good is the camera? My camera stinks on my bb.
    6. Tethering We are not able to get any other internet where we live, so I have to tether. How is the tethering?
    7. I read that you could not personlize your alerts and ring tones. Is this true? What about the background, can you use whatever you want? I love to personalize my phone, and this could be a big problem for me.

Wow, I know that is alot, but I'm very thankful for anyone who takes the time to respond!
    You will LOVE the Pre. The answer to all of your questions is "yes".

The only issue is the battery life. I recommend that you buy an extended battery, or have your charger connected at all times.

For tethering, you have to buy the "hotspot" service, which will let you you connect up to 5 PCs to share your Palm connection. The big problem with that is you can't make calls while you are doing that... which is the only complaint I have about Verizon.

Other than that, Verizon and Pre together make an unbeatable combination....
    Quote Originally Posted by rtrain View Post

Thanks,
    rusty
    People have commented on call quality as compared to the Centro and Treo I had previously.

Bluetooth call quality is much better, too. I found that Palm phones tended to have a lot of static when using bluetooth. With the Pre, they generally don't know I'm on a cell phone, or that I'm using a headset (jawbone).
    Quote Originally Posted by linkboom View Post
    Wow! Once again thank you for all your responses! People on the BB forums are never this nice and quick to help.

I usually have to charge my BB halfway through the day anyway, so this won't bother me.
    You will find the Palm ******* (myself included) to be very friendly, and very loyal to Palm.

We all have been waiting for Palm to build an iPhone killer, and I think the Pre Plus comes pretty close. I just hope Palm sells tons so that app developers will continue to build great applications.

So far, every app I've needed has been available, and the catalog is growing rapidly.

I hope that helps!
    Regarding battery life. After the initial sync burst of battery drain my battery usage has been quite amazing sitting at just under 2%/hr with little usage. I hope it keeps it up. I suggest that you look into the 1400 mah batteries as they give you an extra 10-15% battery and you can still use the touchstones.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast