Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47
  1.    #1  
    OK, I did my searching and have come up dry. Overall I am happy with the video recording addition. I am a video recording junkie but here are my questions:

    1) What is the resolution of this video. I have attempted to figure this out from my PC by looking at the properties of the file but have come up dry. Is it 640X480 or is it half that?

    2) How does Precorder video quality compare? Better? Same? Worse?

    3) Has anyone heard that palm will improve video capture quality later to go 16X9?

    4) Does the PLUS record video that is smoother due to beefed up hardware (memory)?

    Thanks Preeps!
  2. #2  
    Don't know the answer to any of your questions, but I have recorded one video since the 1.4 update and it looks to me to be immensely better quality than the ones I got with my old Treo 755p.
    My device history:

    - Jim J.

    (On Sprint for many years)
  3. #3  
    Hmmm, its a cell phone. What kind of quality you looking for?

    ET
  4. bobwill's Avatar
    Posts
    145 Posts
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleKeg View Post
    OK, I did my searching and have come up dry. Overall I am happy with the video recording addition. I am a video recording junkie but here are my questions:

    1) What is the resolution of this video. I have attempted to figure this out from my PC by looking at the properties of the file but have come up dry. Is it 640X480 or is it half that?

    2) How does Precorder video quality compare? Better? Same? Worse?

    3) Has anyone heard that palm will improve video capture quality later to go 16X9?

    4) Does the PLUS record video that is smoother due to beefed up hardware (memory)?

    Thanks Preeps!
    I have a question for you. I recorded a video and then emailed it to myself as an attachment and it arrived at my PC with and extension of "mp4". What software will display this format. All my software thinks it is a audio file. I tried Windows Media Player.....
    Palm Pre OS 1.4.5 500/1000 MHz--Provider:Sprint
  5. Gunnole's Avatar
    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quicktime should play .mp4 files.
  6. Honis's Avatar
    Posts
    508 Posts
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwill View Post
    I have a question for you. I recorded a video and then emailed it to myself as an attachment and it arrived at my PC with and extension of "mp4". What software will display this format. All my software thinks it is a audio file. I tried Windows Media Player.....
    CCCP - Combined Community Codec Pack
  7. #7  
    i haven't upgraded to 1.4 yet...but i do like the quality of the precord videos... just sucked that it didn't have a view finder..i hope 1.4 is the same as precord quality...upgrading to 1.4 later today, since the doc is now down loadable.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwill View Post
    I have a question for you. I recorded a video and then emailed it to myself as an attachment and it arrived at my PC with and extension of "mp4". What software will display this format. All my software thinks it is a audio file. I tried Windows Media Player.....
    Windows Media Player plays mp4 files for me just fine -- you may need to look at your settings and file associations.

    Or, you can upload your mp4 to Youtube and it will convert it so it will play correctly on Youtube.

    (My FujiFilm digital camera records videos in mp4 so I've been using that file format for a year or so).
    My device history:

    - Jim J.

    (On Sprint for many years)
  9. #9  
    There's a thread on here somewhere with videos posted. I did a trial run and posted it to my Facebook account last night and I was pretty pleased. Obviously it's a cell phone so I'm not expecting too much, but I think the video quality is pretty decent.
  10. jamiehs's Avatar
    Posts
    90 Posts
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleKeg View Post
    OK, I did my searching and have come up dry. Overall I am happy with the video recording addition. I am a video recording junkie but here are my questions:

    1) What is the resolution of this video. I have attempted to figure this out from my PC by looking at the properties of the file but have come up dry. Is it 640X480 or is it half that?
    640x480 @ 1.1 Mbits/sec

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleKeg View Post
    2) How does Precorder video quality compare? Better? Same? Worse?
    Precorder seems to use a higher bitrate ~ 1.3Mbits/sec (mind you, Precorder has different compression options) but a lower frame size: 480x320

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleKeg View Post
    3) Has anyone heard that palm will improve video capture quality later to go 16X9?
    I don't think we've heard any promises, and I don't think they will.

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleKeg View Post
    4) Does the PLUS record video that is smoother due to beefed up hardware (memory)?
    Probably Not...
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwill View Post
    I have a question for you. I recorded a video and then emailed it to myself as an attachment and it arrived at my PC with and extension of "mp4". What software will display this format. All my software thinks it is a audio file. I tried Windows Media Player.....
    vlc
  12. jamiehs's Avatar
    Posts
    90 Posts
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    vlc
    VideoLAN, Free streaming and multimedia solutions for all OS!

    It's the Swiss army knife of Video playback. :-D
  13. renzopnala's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    #13  
    As said 640x480 44.1kHz mono audio. Noticeably better video than precorder. No dropouts that I saw. 21 second video consumed 4326 KB. Pretty good autofocus and auto exposure for a cell phone. I am impresed.

    I think the video editing is limited to cropping beginning and end. Someone let me know if I am wrong.
  14. bobwill's Avatar
    Posts
    145 Posts
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiehs View Post
    VideoLAN, Free streaming and multimedia solutions for all OS!

    It's the Swiss army knife of Video playback. :-D
    Great Works very well....

    Thanks
    Palm Pre OS 1.4.5 500/1000 MHz--Provider:Sprint
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiehs View Post
    640x480 @ 1.1 Mbits/sec


    Precorder seems to use a higher bitrate ~ 1.3Mbits/sec (mind you, Precorder has different compression options) but a lower frame size: 480x320


    I don't think we've heard any promises, and I don't think they will.


    Probably Not...
    JaimiHS: Thanks ! You are the winner of actually answering or attempting to answer my questions. The main of which was 640X480 question.

    Pre-ciate Ya!!!!
  16. #16  
    what's the framerate? Did windows just reported 15fps?
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Don't know the answer to any of your questions, but I have recorded one video since the 1.4 update and it looks to me to be immensely better quality than the ones I got with my old Treo 755p.
    Yes I had a 650, 700p, then 755p and as I have stated in other threads ... that video is unwatchable!!! so yes, already a major jump ahead of that but I was expecting a jump.
  18. jamiehs's Avatar
    Posts
    90 Posts
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    what's the framerate? Did windows just reported 15fps?
    Precorder: 29.97 (30fps)
    Pre: 15fps

    Ouch! ;-)
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Hmmm, its a cell phone. What kind of quality you looking for?

    ET
    Have you seen the type of quality that some cellphones out there are pushing out lately??? HD quality is becoming what people want. I don't think we'll see it on the Pre... Hopefully it's available on the next gen palm phone.
  20. #20  
    My video quality is excellent. I was pleasantly surprised how good the quality was. No glitches with sending them either. No comparison in Quality to my 700wx. FWTW
    + The Search Function is your Best Friend!
    + Reading the Entire Phone Manual can be Very Enlightening!
    + Want to thank someone here for helping you? Throw them a "Thanks"!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions