Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK, I did my searching and have come up dry. Overall I am happy with the video recording addition. I am a video recording junkie but here are my questions:

1) What is the resolution of this video. I have attempted to figure this out from my PC by looking at the properties of the file but have come up dry. Is it 640X480 or is it half that?

2) How does Precorder video quality compare? Better? Same? Worse?

3) Has anyone heard that palm will improve video capture quality later to go 16X9?

4) Does the PLUS record video that is smoother due to beefed up hardware (memory)?

Thanks Preeps!
    Don't know the answer to any of your questions, but I have recorded one video since the 1.4 update and it looks to me to be immensely better quality than the ones I got with my old Treo 755p.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Hmmm, its a cell phone. What kind of quality you looking for?

ET
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleKeg View Post
    OK, I did my searching and have come up dry. Overall I am happy with the video recording addition. I am a video recording junkie but here are my questions:

1) What is the resolution of this video. I have attempted to figure this out from my PC by looking at the properties of the file but have come up dry. Is it 640X480 or is it half that?

3) Has anyone heard that palm will improve video capture quality later to go 16X9?

4) Does the PLUS record video that is smoother due to beefed up hardware (memory)?

Thanks Preeps!
    I have a question for you. I recorded a video and then emailed it to myself as an attachment and it arrived at my PC with and extension of "mp4". What software will display this format. All my software thinks it is a audio file. I tried Windows Media Player.....
    Palm Pre OS 1.4.5 500/1000 MHz--Provider:Sprint
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quicktime should play .mp4 files.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwill View Post
    I have a question for you. I recorded a video and then emailed it to myself as an attachment and it arrived at my PC with and extension of "mp4". What software will display this format. All my software thinks it is a audio file. I tried Windows Media Player.....
    CCCP - Combined Community Codec Pack
    i haven't upgraded to 1.4 yet...but i do like the quality of the precord videos... just sucked that it didn't have a view finder..i hope 1.4 is the same as precord quality...upgrading to 1.4 later today, since the doc is now down loadable.
    Windows Media Player plays mp4 files for me just fine -- you may need to look at your settings and file associations.

Or, you can upload your mp4 to Youtube and it will convert it so it will play correctly on Youtube.

(My FujiFilm digital camera records videos in mp4 so I've been using that file format for a year or so).
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    There's a thread on here somewhere with videos posted. I did a trial run and posted it to my Facebook account last night and I was pretty pleased. Obviously it's a cell phone so I'm not expecting too much, but I think the video quality is pretty decent.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

640x480 @ 1.1 Mbits/sec

Precorder seems to use a higher bitrate ~ 1.3Mbits/sec (mind you, Precorder has different compression options) but a lower frame size: 480x320

I don't think we've heard any promises, and I don't think they will.

Probably Not...
    vlc
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    vlc
    VideoLAN, Free streaming and multimedia solutions for all OS!

It's the Swiss army knife of Video playback. :-D
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    As said 640x480 44.1kHz mono audio. Noticeably better video than precorder. No dropouts that I saw. 21 second video consumed 4326 KB. Pretty good autofocus and auto exposure for a cell phone. I am impresed.

I think the video editing is limited to cropping beginning and end. Someone let me know if I am wrong.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiehs View Post
    VideoLAN, Free streaming and multimedia solutions for all OS!

It's the Swiss army knife of Video playback. :-D
    Great Works very well....

Thanks
    Palm Pre OS 1.4.5 500/1000 MHz--Provider:Sprint
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiehs View Post
    640x480 @ 1.1 Mbits/sec

Precorder seems to use a higher bitrate ~ 1.3Mbits/sec (mind you, Precorder has different compression options) but a lower frame size: 480x320

I don't think we've heard any promises, and I don't think they will.

Probably Not...
    JaimiHS: Thanks ! You are the winner of actually answering or attempting to answer my questions. The main of which was 640X480 question.

Pre-ciate Ya!!!!
    what's the framerate? Did windows just reported 15fps?
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Don't know the answer to any of your questions, but I have recorded one video since the 1.4 update and it looks to me to be immensely better quality than the ones I got with my old Treo 755p.
    Yes I had a 650, 700p, then 755p and as I have stated in other threads ... that video is unwatchable!!! so yes, already a major jump ahead of that but I was expecting a jump.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    what's the framerate? Did windows just reported 15fps?
    Precorder: 29.97 (30fps)
    Pre: 15fps

Ouch! ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Hmmm, its a cell phone. What kind of quality you looking for?

ET
    Have you seen the type of quality that some cellphones out there are pushing out lately??? HD quality is becoming what people want. I don't think we'll see it on the Pre... Hopefully it's available on the next gen palm phone.
    My video quality is excellent. I was pleasantly surprised how good the quality was. No glitches with sending them either. No comparison in Quality to my 700wx. FWTW
    + The Search Function is your Best Friend!
    + Reading the Entire Phone Manual can be Very Enlightening!
    + Want to thank someone here for helping you? Throw them a "Thanks"!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast