Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Hmmm, its a cell phone. What kind of quality you looking for?

ET
    Well, first off, I started the thread so I will ask the questions mister......

and in case you haven't noticed, its not just a cell phone. You see there has been this convergence thing happening over the last 10 years with the technology really getting interesting since the Apple cult got that lil Iphone thingy going...... so to answer your question, I am looking for quality on par with the iphone ....... let me google that .... be right back .....

so Apples site says this:
    Video recording, VGA up to 30 fps with audio

and here's a snipit from a review of the 3gs (which says a lot about what people are expecting of video recording from their silly "cell phones":

n short, the iPhone 3G S is a surprisingly capable camcorder. It's at least as good as the standard definition Flip Mino, and offers an exceptionally intuitive interface that far exceeds the typical, labyrinthine experience of a full-featured video camera. Lacking HD, it falls short of being a complete replacement, but we are very impressed with Apple's first time out on the field.

or this from engadgets review .... very telling:

The size, clarity, and smoothness of the sequences we shot looked tremendous to our eyes -- certainly on par if not outclassing many of the contenders in this space. In our opinion, the 3GS video quality is high enough that we'd consider this a viable stand-in for lower end camcorders or flip cams -- if you want to capture your kids at the park but don't want to come packing a ton of gear, this produces totally reasonable results.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiehs View Post
    Precorder: 29.97 (30fps)
    Pre: 15fps

Ouch! ;-)
    Yeah that explains the choppiness which is irritating me ... yeah Im greedy .... remember I said I was a video junky. And since the Pre came out a year after the 3gs, I xpect video quality in that ballpark.

I would rather sacrifice a lil resolution for 30 fps like precorder has apparently. Better yet, make it an option/setting choice palm.....

video is successive frames smoothly displayed ....

Im not asking for HD quality out of this device .... maybe the pre2?
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleKeg View Post
    Yeah that explains the choppiness which is irritating me ... yeah Im greedy .... remember I said I was a video junky. And since the Pre came out a year after the 3gs, I xpect video quality in that ballpark.

I would rather sacrifice a lil resolution for 30 fps like precorder has apparently. Better yet, make it an option/setting choice palm.....

video is successive frames smoothly displayed ....

Im not asking for HD quality out of this device .... maybe the pre2?
    Maybe the guys will make a patch for 320x240 @ 30fps. Most people won't appreciate the framerate difference, but then again most of us on this forum aren't "most people".
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by etphoto
    Hmmm, its a cell phone. What kind of quality you looking for?

ET

Well, first off, I started the thread so I will ask the questions mister.....
    and in case you haven't noticed, its not just a cell phone.

I definitely have to agree with this.. We really have passed the era where we can honestly think of the device we carry in our pockets "just a cell phone"

Have you ever really lately listed ALL the things this amazing and "little" device actually does? and does well?

Keeps our appointments
    a data base of our contacts
    plays games to keep us amused
    tracks our food, or exercise, or inventories our hobbies
    instantly messages our frends ANYWHERE on the planet
    Manages our banking
    lets us buy movie tickets
    make dinner reservations
    get our news, the moment it occurs
    browse the internet
    buy, just about ANYTHING, from ANYWHERE on earth
    calculates complex math on the fly
    listen to music
    watch videos
    take photographs and send then INSTANTLY to anyone
    and NOW, we can also take videos as well

ok, ya, AND

It makes and takes Phone Calls

So next time you call this just a "cell phone", try to realize just how far "cell phones" have come, and that this is almost a misnomer of a name these days.

I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I would happily sacrifice some resolution for a full 30 fps.
    I get 640x480 @ 30fps and audio is mp4a stereo @ 44100 on an O2 (UK) pre
    Well if it is of any consolation for the OP, one of the people who was showing this video at CES did mention that they would be making the resolution greater at some point in the future. I also thought it currently can do 30fps.

on another unrelated point, I just noticed that if you get a call while you are typing something to be on the internet, it will go ahead and and post it if you take the call.
    I think video quality looks great that is until you send it via picture mail... then it look all blocky and quite horrible.. anyone know why that is?
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpcroft View Post
    I get 640x480 @ 30fps and audio is mp4a stereo @ 44100 on an O2 (UK) pre
    What but What !?!

Any other Euros confirming??? Come in Radio Free Europe ......

or can any Sprinters, Big Redders refute previous post that says we are at 15fps??
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I just transferred my first video over, and it's 640x480, 30 fps according to Quicktime.
    I wouldn't sacrifice resolution for fps. 25fps is nice, but smaller resolution is not acceptable IMO.

little choppy may not be problematic for many people, small resolution is definitely noticeable by everybody.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GUNNole View Post
    I just transferred my first video over, and it's 640x480, 30 fps according to Quicktime.
    Aaaaaand the plot thickens...
    I don't know about you but I am getting 25 fps. Whats with all this 15 fps you're reporting?
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I bet the 15 FPS was done by Youtube or Facebook.

I transferred directly via USB and opened it in Quicktime. It actually states 30.08 FPS, 2.79 mbits/sec, 640x480, MPEG-4, millions AAC, Mono, 44.1 kHz
    Palm pre video Format MPEG-4 640 X 480 ,ACC 1 CHANNELS 44100, FPS 29.99
    will VideoLAN allow me to add music to the videos? if not where do I go to learn how to do that.

also, how do I find out the quality of my videos?
    According to Quicktime:

640 x 480
    Audio: 44.1kHz mono
    Movie FPS: 30.02 FPS
    Data Rate: 1.80 mbits/sec

Regards,
    Tom
    [oops, I see several people beat me to it -- musta been snoozing]
    okay, now try to record a video with different length

I have that 15fps video, 2 minutes, last night

I just shot two short ones, 25sec, and 1 minutes, both are 21fps

I am not sure how this thing decide what fps to do, but its very strange for sure.

edit. Just did another 2 min video, 21fps.

seems to be related how fast I move the video window?
    Last edited by clevin; 02/28/2010 at 12:06 PM.
    definitely related to if the cam window is moving fast.

I took two 1 min videos. A stational one is only 9Mb, another one from a moving car is 18Mb.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleKeg View Post
    What but What !?!

Any other Euros confirming??? Come in Radio Free Europe ......

or can any Sprinters, Big Redders refute previous post that says we are at 15fps??
    OK I think it has something to do with brightness. I shot a video of under my desk, 15fps. Then I shot a video of my bright window... 30fps.

I think the camera is using 15fps if you are filming in dimmer conditions (this makes sense since the exposure time needs to be longer anyway)

So maybe what we are seeing is compression so efficient that it rates the videos framerate at the camera's actual rate of capture instead of just using a blanket framerate of 30 even if the camera was using a longer exposure (and hence a slower framerate).

Or am I just spewing crazytalk?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast