Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by onlinespending View Post
    BMW bluetooth pairing on the latest model BMWs are known to be unreliable at best. Just do a search on the problems with Blackberries and BMWs. I suggest everyone call BMW and complain about this. They need to take this seriously and address it with an update to their cars' software.

It may be easy to point the finger at Palm as culprit since it apparently paired OK with past webOS versions. But it could just be that the Pre has perhaps tightened its bluetooth stack to be even more compliant with the spec. BMW may fall short of meeting the spec. If it weren't for the widespread issues people have with BMW and bluetooth pairing to other phones, I'd also be quick to blame Palm.
    Good point, very true. This isn't entirely Palm's fault, but I still think that this should be an easy/quick fix for Palm considering that i was working a couple weeks ago. Again, I still do not like their response to this issue.
    I have never claimed to be the smartest person in the world and I never will be, but there are two things in this matter that don't make sense to me (perhaps because I'm not the smartest person in the world):

1. I've read comments from HardBeatZ along the lines of "we are researching the problem", "trying to isolate the problem", etc. It's not like OS version 1.4 is the first one where Bluetooth connectivity was possible. This was working fine for all BMW people on this thread in OS version 1.3.5.1 proving that the Bluetooth section (programming) of that particular release was fine. Why can someone at Palm not compare the Bluetooth programming (profiles, code, etc.) of 1.3.5.1 to 1.4 and simply see what changed? In other words, ask yourselves the question "What's different in the Bluetooth programming of 1.3.5.1 and 1.4?". Wouldn't that lead the programmers down the right path to solution?
    2. Using the compatibility list/matrix as gospel and not supporting any other makes of BMW's that aren't on that list is an irresponsible approach to take. I have a 2006 BMW 330i, which is obviously not on your supported list, but it worked just fine in 1.3.5.1 proving that your supported list is out of date and entirely inaccurate. Did someone from Palm actually get into a 2006 BMW 330i and were then unable to sync it with a Pre/Pixi? If that's the case, they are unaware of the proper syncing methods because I, and many, many others on this thread who have BMW's that aren't in Palm's supported list, were working just fine before the 1.4 was forced onto our phones. I use the word "forced" because I plugged in my phone one night before I went to bed and woke up only to discover I had been upgraded to 1.4 without any prompt or user-intervention. If no one from Palm got into a 2006 BMW 330i to test the Bluetooth connectivity with a Pre/Pixi, then how can you claim it's not supported? Same thing goes for every other BMW make/model on this thread that is not in your list. I am of the opinion that if it works/worked with previous models of BMW, then it should always work with those models and Palm should only have to add new Bluetooth profiles when new models of BMW (and other cars) are released. In other words, people who buy brand new BMW's should be the ones waiting for Palm updates, not the BMW owners who have been working fine all along and were broken by Palm's so-called updates.

Those are just my thoughts.
    I just doctored my pre back to 1.3.5.1
    BMW car kit working perfectly on my 06 530xi

Took over an hour to re-install all of my preware apps and patches

Make sure you run the scripts found in the link below or your pre WILL get updated back to 1.4 and you will have to do all of this again!!
    There were 2 links found earlier in this thread use the 1 below as the other has a typo
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...k-updates.html
    I used WebOS Quick install to enter the commands.

It is absolutley unacceptable that I had to jump through all these hoops to get back to a stable OS. I consider myself very technical, so I can appreciate all the frustration others may have to running all of the underground processes.

Palm, don't make me have to do this every again!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberstven View Post
    Good point, very true. This isn't entirely Palm's fault, but I still think that this should be an easy/quick fix for Palm considering that i was working a couple weeks ago. Again, I still do not like their response to this issue.
    I went to the dealer yesterday trying to find out if there's any software update available for the BT head unit on my '07 328i. The answer is NO.

The technician did mention to "turn off encryption" for the BT connection, available as a Preference item on other phones, e.g., BB. Any ideas about this, hackers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner_fan View Post
    I have never claimed to be the smartest person in the world and I never will be, but there are two things in this matter that don't make sense to me (perhaps because I'm not the smartest person in the world):

1. I've read comments from HardBeatZ along the lines of "we are researching the problem", "trying to isolate the problem", etc. It's not like OS version 1.4 is the first one where Bluetooth connectivity was possible. This was working fine for all BMW people on this thread in OS version 1.3.5.1 proving that the Bluetooth section (programming) of that particular release was fine. Why can someone at Palm not compare the Bluetooth programming (profiles, code, etc.) of 1.3.5.1 to 1.4 and simply see what changed? In other words, ask yourselves the question "What's different in the Bluetooth programming of 1.3.5.1 and 1.4?". Wouldn't that lead the programmers down the right path to solution?
    2. Using the compatibility list/matrix as gospel and not supporting any other makes of BMW's that aren't on that list is an irresponsible approach to take. I have a 2006 BMW 330i, which is obviously not on your supported list, but it worked just fine in 1.3.5.1 proving that your supported list is out of date and entirely inaccurate. Did someone from Palm actually get into a 2006 BMW 330i and were then unable to sync it with a Pre/Pixi? If that's the case, they are unaware of the proper syncing methods because I, and many, many others on this thread who have BMW's that aren't in Palm's supported list, were working just fine before the 1.4 was forced onto our phones. I use the word "forced" because I plugged in my phone one night before I went to bed and woke up only to discover I had been upgraded to 1.4 without any prompt or user-intervention. If no one from Palm got into a 2006 BMW 330i to test the Bluetooth connectivity with a Pre/Pixi, then how can you claim it's not supported? Same thing goes for every other BMW make/model on this thread that is not in your list. I am of the opinion that if it works/worked with previous models of BMW, then it should always work with those models and Palm should only have to add new Bluetooth profiles when new models of BMW (and other cars) are released. In other words, people who buy brand new BMW's should be the ones waiting for Palm updates, not the BMW owners who have been working fine all along and were broken by Palm's so-called updates.

A little perspective on your questions from someone who has managed software efforts...
    1. Although it's likely Palm could take the Bluetooth portion of webOS back to 1.3.5 and fix the BMW problem, it's also likely that there were more than one or two changes, and some of those changes were most likely intended to fix things that had nothing to do with BMWs. So the problem is to figure out which changes (or rather, combinations of changes) caused the issue. Simply going back to 1.3.5 would bring back whatever bugs existed there (which may not have affected you, but probably did affect others). So that is undesirable. So, it is not necessarily a straightforward fix, and it may indeed take some real research for Palm to figure out what went wrong.

2. Just because something isn't supported doesn't mean it won't work. It just means Palm won't guarantee it to work. It means that Palm won't go out of their way to ensure that it works. The fact that it worked with 1.3.5 doesn't imply that it's always guaranteed to work in the future. If Palm says it's not supported, that means they don't plan to invest in the extra testing it takes to ensure it works.

Personally, I think Palm should fix this as soon as they can. And it appears that they will, but we should all realize that it's not as easy as it may seem, and bear in mind that BT is working well in supported BMWs. It's pretty crappy that earlier BMWs are not supported, but at least you can't say Palm has broken the list of supported car kits.

*puts on asbestos underwear*
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    If you go back to 1.3.5.1, you will not be able to download pandora from the app catalog as it requires you to be on 1.4. I have Pandora 1.0 IPK which will work on 1.3.5.1. If you need it, PM me and I will send it to you.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Doctor your phone!
    http://forums.precentral.net/general-webos-chat/234427-update-1-4-breaks-bmw-bluetooth-connection.html
    Last edited by guitarguy; 03/20/2010 at 04:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timmy1500 View Post
    just adding my name to this list:

07 BMW 328xi (no nav), BT was fine before 1.4 using Sprint, but now having same problems as people are describing.
    Has anyone tried the suggestions from the Garmin/Nuvi thread?

Perhaps they would help?

I found that if I initiated the pairing from the phone instead of from the GPS, that helped. We also had to rename the GPS "friendly name" to remove special characters.

That solved everything except for a problem synching the phone book. Once I updated the Garmin firmware, that was also solved.

I don't know if the BMW system has firmware upgrades, but that would be worth calling the dealer about.

But, the key for me was that the synch procedure was backwards from how it had worked with my old Palm Centro.

The new procedure is to initiate from the phone. The alternate that also worked was to initiate from the GPS and look for an "audio device" rather than telling it to look for a "phone".

I don't know if that is helpful here, but it's worth a try...
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner_fan View Post

Good thoughts. 2006 330i w/Nav
    I would imagine if it were that easy, Palm would have done this. However, for highly trained software engineers (I assume Palm guys are in this category), I would think that the bluetooth portion of the code wouldn't be that difficult to solve (they work with it so much, they have dreams about code).
    I've been in engineering for 30 years. And everytime a new release comes out, we always ask, "Ok, we have new functionality but what did we loose?".
    Sacrifices are a consequence of new releases. BMW was sacrificed this time. The next upgrade will probably fix BMW and break something else!
    Palm, why the hell can you not keep us updated. This is terrible!
    Also having bluetooth problems with Volvo carkit, when calls hangup the mute remains on until you disable the bluetooth on the Pre.

Never had this problem before the update, deleted all phones from the carkit etc... I have tried other phones thinking it was the carkit, they all work fine. Tried another Pre and have the same problem.

This is such a drain of energy...
    Well, Palm is showing how much they care
    Tommorow, I will no longer be a Pre user. Bluetooth is too important to me. I don't have time to wait for Palm's solution since it has not been fixed and Palm doesnt care. I've been a Palm user since the beginning. This is the last straw.
    P.S. After reading all about Palm's problems, I don't think they will be around much longer anyway. Good Luck to all!
    JOSONTISCHER....How were you able to doctor back to 1.3.5.1 software. When I spoke to Palm they said I was unable to down grade back to the software. I would love to know how I could do this, so that my BMWX3 BT will work again. If any of you know how I am able to do this, it would be GREATFULLY appeaciated.
    you could always trade in your bmw and buy american
    Quote Originally Posted by nodoubt2011 View Post
    JOSONTISCHER....How were you able to doctor back to 1.3.5.1 software. When I spoke to Palm they said I was unable to down grade back to the software. I would love to know how I could do this, so that my BMWX3 BT will work again. If any of you know how I am able to do this, it would be GREATFULLY appeaciated.
    Go here and get the webOS Dr 1.3.5.1

Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

I ran it and put my phone back to 1.3.5.1

Then see this thread on how to not have The pre automatically update it self. 'Im still on 1.3.5.1 and my phone is working great. I installed the Terminal App off of preware and followed the intructions on how to stop automatic updates. Been working great for a month now..

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...get-1-4-a.html
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    To add insult to injury, Palm has now removed all prior versions of webOS, including 1.3.5.1, which seemed like the version which worked the best for most (if not all) of the BMW bluetooth systems. So now BMW owners with bluetooth issues cannot even roll back their phones to a working version.

Does anyone know why they would remove the old webOS versions now? The timing seems strange....
    Quote Originally Posted by kirit.chandran View Post
    I have the same issue, device pairs but wont connect. Palm asked me to do the partial erase, which did not work. I was asked to use the web os doctor but it seems like a definite bug that was produced by the new release. If everyone on this thread submits a request to palm they will take a look at it.

Does anyone know how to rollback to 1.35 ? I would like to do this until they can get this issues resolved, I dont care too much about the video.

06 325i No Navi
    Same specs here with a Sprint Pre - did a full erase and resynched b'tooth a few times, but no dice.

Come on, Palm - things were going so well.
    Quote Originally Posted by bomarco View Post
    To add insult to injury, Palm has now removed all prior versions of webOS, including 1.3.5.1, which seemed like the version which worked the best for most (if not all) of the BMW bluetooth systems. So now BMW owners with bluetooth issues cannot even roll back their phones to a working version.

Does anyone know why they would remove the old webOS versions now? The timing seems strange....
    You can doctor your phone to any previous version using WebOS Quick Install

Here is the link to WQI
    http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...l-v3-02-a.html

You will need to download the WebOS doctor version you want here:
    Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

Choose your carrier and phone type and a download the version of your choice. 1.3.5.1 is working perfectly for me.

You will also need to disable the automatic update as indicated earlier in the thread.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Did you personally try any of the links for non-1.4 versions on the page you referenced? If you had, you would see that none of them work. There is no legal way to obtain a pre-1.4 webOS version at this time, as far as I can tell. I have no doubt that your 1.3.5.1 is working great; you were lucky and got it before it was apparently pulled by Palm.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast