Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay, I was excited by the video capability of the pre but when I tried to send my first video I was disappointed. So, I chatted up the Palm tech and this is what he said to do.
    First of all your video cannot be bigger than 600KB to send with a text message. I tried shortening mine several times and it was still too big. I got it all the way down to 6 seconds and still no go.
    Then I had tried to send it email. He said you can ATTACH the video to an email up to 10 MB. I tried that while he was still with me and it worked. I was so excited.
    I asked him if it was because we have a limited amount of memory in this phone vs the pre plus and he said NO you can't go over 600KB on Palm's OS.

So, there you have it. If you can make a video that is about 4 seconds then you might be able to text. It will try that tomorrow.
    If any of you have been able to send a larger video in a text message I would be very interested in how you did it. Thanks
    Mary
    Palm Pre (her)
    Palm Pre (his)
    I have Sprint and proud of it!
    I was able to semd a video by text, about a good 30 seconds long. i dont wknow what i did, i just used the default options.
    i do know that my video was recieved, when a friend had told me about it, after i just sent the video to them. so there was confimation.
    I think the size limitation for MMS is for the sake of the networks. Clearly the Pre itself doesn't have an issue with large video files because uploads to YouTube and Facebook are unaffected.
    it shouldnt matter how big of a message we send tho, as we can easily use up 4 times the amounmt of bandwidth usin youtube, or pandora??
    i1000+ -> i90 -> i530 -> i730 -> i530 -> i730 -> i560 -> i930 -> i215 -> i860 -> i930 -> i860 -> i870 -> i880 -> i870 -> i850 -> i870 -> i830 -> i9 -> Pre
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I sent a 1 min video as a text and it went thru. I noticed when I chose the option of email it says it can only be 33 sec and gave me a trim option to use on the video. the text I sent were to another Pre and Pixie.
    Ok, who can patch the webos to change the limits? Because I can't even send videos to my wife's pre. We get the video to large to view on this device error. On the same device, I have 200 mb+ video files. go figure.
    I sent a video of 6mb via mms and it just converted the format from mp4 to 3gp and reduced the file size from 6mb to about 1mb

But when I send a shorter video, with mms, it keeps the mp4 format.

edit: just noticed something else, kinda strange. Ok, when I MMS a 20 second video, it converts it to .3gp format, but when I MMS a 4 second video, it converts THAT to a .mpg format. HUH! It also does not give you a "save" option from MMS, but it does let you email it , I emailed to myself to see the file. It does not store this in the normal DCIM folder with your Video and Images. But it does store them in your .attachement folder. So apparantly the Pre is ALSO a file converter

Would have been nice, if in the change log we were given some of these specs/limitations.. oh well ..

I still love having the video...
    Last edited by dianehelen; 02/28/2010 at 07:18 AM. Reason: more info
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

9.    #9  
    How does it change the size? I asked the guy that question and he kept saying that the Palm OS was only capable of sending 600KB video in text messages.
    Mary
    Palm Pre (her)
    Palm Pre (his)
  10.    #10  
    Is mms the same as text messaging???
    Mary
    Palm Pre (her)
    Palm Pre (his)
  11.    #11  
    Each time I try to send it in a text message the picture comes us with an "X" on it which means that it will not go. Has anyone had this problem???
    Mary
    Palm Pre (her)
    Palm Pre (his)
    I have been sending vids average of 30 secs since I got it. Mms. No problem
  13.    #13  
    My phone is not converting the video. It says its sending it in MP4 no matter how long or short it is. I was able to send a 3 second one with no problem but any more than that the receiving phone gives an error message.
    Mary
    Palm Pre (her)
    Palm Pre (his)
  14.    #14  
    What is the 3gp that they mention above???
    Mary
    Palm Pre (her)
    Palm Pre (his)
    just sent a 20 sec vid to my daughter by tex,,its says mp4,,and she played it no problem.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I had a 2 minute video I tried to send. It told me I could only send 1 minute and 19 seconds and I had to drag a little thing back and forth to select which 1 minute 19 second chunk of the video I wanted to send.

The person received it successfully.
  17.    #17  
    Big news. I just did a 39 second video and sent it as an attachment in my text message and it WORKED!! I am so excited that it is finally working.
    Mary
    Palm Pre (her)
    Palm Pre (his)
    Quote Originally Posted by maryinredding View Post
    Each time I try to send it in a text message the picture comes us with an "X" on it which means that it will not go. Has anyone had this problem???
    Do you mean the "X" inside of the little button on pic/vid you've attached to the sms message? That just lets you delete/remove the pic/video from the message with out having to start a new message.

It dosen't mean you can't send that pic/video.

As to sending/reseving video with sms, I haven't had one issue with it yet.

I've sent a few today. One almost a minute long to the wifes Pre. Then I sent the same video to my buddies Iphone and another friends Droid.

No issues at all or converting of the video format.
  19.    #19  
    Apparently, the receiving phone converts the file. I sent a 39 second video to my husband's pre and it did take a few minutes but it went through. I tried sending to my son's pre and he said it was too big, BUT he hadn't updated his phone when I sent it. He has since done that so I will try sending it again.
    Mary
    Palm Pre (her)
    Palm Pre (his)
    Wow soooo many variables here.

I sent 2 differnet mp4 videos, take by my pre to myself via text msg. The longer one was recieved as 3gp the shorter one as mpg.

I sent a 2 second yes I said TWO SECOND video to my husbands Instinct, and it said too large to view. I sent as email, and he could play it, but got sound only,. I sent the youtube link (but NOT from the Pre, thats totally NOT working), in an email and only then could he see it.

So, there are phone to phone variables, probably carrier to carrier variables, size variables. And quite a few glitches palm needs to work out to get to a level of perfection with the whole video capability.

Oh ya, and when you go to your own youtube account, and tap a video, it launches the youtube all, and says cant find the video...

But, I STILL LOVE having video..

And Adding Jasons aaaaaaaaamazing video-camera-flashlight to it, I can also video in the dark.. so its all good

Last edited by dianehelen; 02/28/2010 at 06:30 PM.
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast