Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I've sent a 30 second vid to my mom's pre and it went through and she was able to view it (mms). But I sent one to my wifes instinct that was only 10 seconds long and her phone said that it was to big to open.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    The limit for MMS is 300KB. The MMSC server (not your phone) will try to compress anything you send.
    What IS this MMSC Server? Is this part of Sprint? This sure would explain, why the different formats.. for compression. I can NOT get a straight answer regarding this from Sprint OR Palm.

I have sent Pre Native MP4 formats, via MMS (sprint) to myself, and it was received sometimes as .mpg and sometimes as .3gp,
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    What IS this MMSC Server? Is this part of Sprint? This sure would explain, why the different formats.. for compression. I can NOT get a straight answer regarding this from Sprint OR Palm.

I have sent Pre Native MP4 formats, via MMS (sprint) to myself, and it was received sometimes as .mpg and sometimes as .3gp,
    The server will depend on the recipient, so it makes sense that Sprint or Palm would have trouble with that information as it varies.. Files will not only be changed for size, but they'll also try to convert them to a format suitable for the individual device receiving the file (mp4 vs .3gp, etc.). It will try to avoid sending a 320x240 file to a device with 160x120 screen.

I should clarify that 300KB isn't a hard limit, but more of a "safe" size meaning anything <=300KB should go through. Different servers might let you get away with larger files, but 4 or 5 MB files and whatnot will likely always get bounced.
    Here is an update to sending videos...

I tried sending the same 14 second video to my brother who is on T-Mobile and this time I attached it through the MMS app and look at that... within 3 mintues of hitting send he got it and viewed it.

Did we just discover a bug in the video app when slecting 'send via mms' vs using the paperclip in the messaging app??

Seems to me this is a bug that prevents videos from being sent in the video app and only can send through the messaging app.

Quote Originally Posted by fastamx79 View Post
    My Carrier - Sprint

a 14 second video sent to my wife (Sprint) and my brother (T-Mobile) do NOT go through if sent right from the video app. My bro never got an alert, my wife got an error saying file can not be played on her handset.

Sending the same 14 second video file using attachments in the messaging app worked fine going to my wife (Sprint).

I have not tried sending the file to my brother yet using the attachment field in the messaging app. I will be trying later tonight when I get home from work and will post an update once I find out.
    Hmm. Seems like people can send sometimes in MMS from video but some can not. Size seems to matter but may not. Attach is another, good with some and other not.
    Sprint here - I tried to send to my son on "V" with MMS. Attempted a 3 sec. as attachment and direct from video. Both came back with an error. Tried a long one both ways and got the same result. I will try a Sprint to sprint later. There does not seem to be any help in the NEW UPDATED HELP section of the phone. It has been updated to reflect the new video ability yet it does not give enough detail.
    Quote Originally Posted by maryinredding View Post
    So, there you have it. If you can make a video that is about 4 seconds then you might be able to text. It will try that tomorrow.
    If any of you have been able to send a larger video in a text message I would be very interested in how you did it. Thanks
    I think people are trying to use text messages for more than they were designed for. That's why there is a character limit on it and that's probably why there is a video size limit on it. In fact, in my opinion, video shouldn't be used for text messages, that's what email is for.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    I should clarify that 300KB isn't a hard limit, but more of a "safe" size meaning anything <=300KB should go through. Different servers might let you get away with larger files, but 4 or 5 MB files and whatnot will likely always get bounced.
    Ya I was about to say... but 4-5mb file sent via sprint to sprint usally don't bounce I tested it about 4 times last night 6mb mp4 came across as a 1.1mb 3gp from a sprint pre to pixi...
    The "share YouTube feature does not work!
    I've added youtube.com to my launcher. You can email the link from your account video page to yourself then resend it. I can't watch an 8 minute video from my youtube account or the emailed link, on my pre but I can on my laptop. When I tap on it, it opens the Palm Pre Youtube App. I can watch older uploads??
    i tried to send a 22sec. video to my friends iphone and he say he never got the video...error msg said that it couldn send because of the carriers limit...does anyone know iphones limit?
    i figured the all so powerful iphone could surely recieve a short 22 sec. video!!
    Quote Originally Posted by LateNiteWithJme View Post
    I sent a 3.4MB video to my wife's Pre via MMS with no problems. (Sprint)

My friends on AT&T with a BlackBerry Bold and an iPhone cannot get it. SprintFree txt message says file was rejected by AT&T due to the size.
    Thank you!! Finally, an issue that I'm having. The only Sprint person I sent it to was myself, and it came in no prob, but when I send it to my friend on AT&T, I got the return SprintFreeText message saying that the file was too big. This is for a 4 second video too! Sucks.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123