Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'm not having any luck with sending videos via MMS. I tried to send a 46 second video to my brother, and it bounced back saying it was too large.

I also tried a 12 second video and my wife got it on her Exclaim, but couldn't view it because 'file is too large'. My brother never got it, again file is too large.

Uploading to youtube was very easy and worked.

I just can't figure out why some users have no issues sending videos via text while others can't.
    I don't get it,,wish I new so to help you.i have been sending a 30 sec vid to everyone I know via tex. Different phones to,blackberrys,pixies,,etc,, been telling them to let me know if they receive this,if so,can you play it,they all said a ok.
    I sent a 1:02 long but the person couldn't open it they had a palm treo
  4.    #24  
    I saw that you are a "phone" person and I had to laugh because my husband says I am obsessed with phones, any type of phones. We have 1 maybe 2 phones in every single room of our house, shop, garage and yes I even have one in my bathroom. I was really excited when cell phones came out way back when, but my husband was less enthusiastic than me. It took us getting a boat to get us a cell phone because I felt safer out there with a cell phone in case something happened. We had one cell phone for awhile (expensive then) and then he decided that he should have one of his own. He fell in love with the Palm Treo 700p and has continued the tradition with the Pre. I am always showing him little tips and tricks because of these forums. We got our Pres at the same time by switching carriers and we have been very happy.
    Mary
    Palm Pre (her)
    Palm Pre (his)
    I have Sprint and proud of it!
  5.    #25  
    Are you attaching the video to the text message (little paper clip) or are you using the drop down menu on the video itself? I found that the video would not be viewable if I sent it directly from the video. Try attaching it.
    Mary
    Palm Pre (her)
    Palm Pre (his)
    Quote Originally Posted by maryinredding View Post
    Are you attaching the video to the text message (little paper clip) or are you using the drop down menu on the video itself? I found that the video would not be viewable if I sent it directly from the video. Try attaching it.

I gave it a try and it seemed to work. A 12 second video that I sent yesterday to my wife though the video app worked on her phone by sending it through the messaging app.

Wonder if that is a bug in the video app?
    Only reason to use MMS for video or pictures is for featurephones. honestly if you're sending to another smart phone email is the way to go. MMS file sizes are dictated too much by network, not just yours but the receiving network.

Quote Originally Posted by fastamx79 View Post
    I gave it a try and it seemed to work. A 12 second video that I sent yesterday to my wife though the video app worked on her phone by sending it through the messaging app.

Wonder if that is a bug in the video app?
    Is your wife's phone that worked and the phone you couldn't send to earlier on different networks. If so what network is your wife's phone on and what network is that other phone on.
    anyone know how to change the youtube acct info for uploading? I took some vids of nephew's bball game & uploaded to his acct & can't figure out where to chance that pref so I can upload to my acct.

Also, how long would you guess until we see Qik available?
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    Quote Originally Posted by donatom3 View Post
    Only reason to use MMS for video or pictures is for featurephones. honestly if you're sending to another smart phone email is the way to go. MMS file sizes are dictated too much by network, not just yours but the receiving network.

Is your wife's phone that worked and the phone you couldn't send to earlier on different networks. If so what network is your wife's phone on and what network is that other phone on.
    Most of the people I would send video to are using dumbphones so email is out of the question. Only a very few have smartphones *iphones* so I'm used to emailing them already due to iphone not having MMS until just recently.

I know the receiving network can cause issues too. I'll still try sending a video using the attchemnt through messaging and not through video. My brother is on T-Moble and when I tried to send him videos I kept getting messages saying it was too large to send... but I know he can get video because I've sent him videos on my Nextel phones and my wife sent him one too from her Exclaim.

My wife's phone is on Sprint... Samsung Exclaim.

But like I posted earlier, I was able to send a video using the MMS app and attching through that.
    ok so here is a bit of a workaround to get the correct youtube link

upload..wait for it to process..go to youtube in the pre browser..NOT the youtube app and NOT the mobile version
    log into you acct.. Find the vid.. Tap share then it will have the right url on the email. You can then either send or copy from email and paste into a forum post or anywhere

here is one fom me this morning that I used this method to get

I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

One variable that people seem to be skipping here is: CARRIER

If you ARE having issues sending video files over MMS, please state your carrier so that we can start to get an idea of what limits (if any) are appearing for the different carriers.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Does anyone else have a problem with uploading to you tube. My video uploads fine but when I send a link via e-mail the person clicking the link gets a message saying cant find this video and it just gives the other videos from the main page not my personal account page.
    Quote Originally Posted by callmechewy View Post
    One variable that people seem to be skipping here is: CARRIER

If you ARE having issues sending video files over MMS, please state your carrier so that we can start to get an idea of what limits (if any) are appearing for the different carriers.
    My Carrier - Sprint

a 14 second video sent to my wife (Sprint) and my brother (T-Mobile) do NOT go through if sent right from the video app. My bro never got an alert, my wife got an error saying file can not be played on her handset.

Sending the same 14 second video file using attachments in the messaging app worked fine going to my wife (Sprint).

I have not tried sending the file to my brother yet using the attachment field in the messaging app. I will be trying later tonight when I get home from work and will post an update once I find out.
    Quote Originally Posted by sirberk View Post
    Does anyone else have a problem with uploading to you tube. My video uploads fine but when I send a link via e-mail the person clicking the link gets a message saying cant find this video and it just gives the other videos from the main page not my personal account page.
    This is a known issue, that Palm is aware of and supposedly working on. Thats why I posted the "work around" for it.

Currently, when you first upload a video, it has not yet assigned the correct URL code, and Pre is issueing a URL that is "undefined"

IF you wait till your video is processed, and has a valid link URL , you can send it right from your youtube account.
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Just give your guys an idea I shot a 10 minute video last night to see how long I could go..

It was propped up shooting pretty much a static room the whole time and its was over 85mb... Your not shooting with a 1.3mp razor camera anymore.. After chopping it up a good measurement was every 45sec = 5-6mb.. But anyway I've send 2-3 min video from my pre to the wife's pixi np they got converted to 3gpp but they went through..

Just looked the 30second video shot on my wife's pixi 2mb camera got converted to 3gpp and still is over 1mb in size after conversion.. So prof right there the mms limit is not 600kb....

I've got sprint and have sent 2-3 min vids as mms out of the video app...
    Last edited by helidos; 03/01/2010 at 05:44 PM.
  16.    #36  
    I was going to argue with the tech that I chatted with but I figured that it would be a loosing battle. Now that I know you can send longer videos if you insert it in the text message I am happy.

I have Sprint.
    Mary
    Palm Pre (her)
    Palm Pre (his)
    Quote Originally Posted by callmechewy View Post
    One variable that people seem to be skipping here is: CARRIERIf you ARE having issues sending video files over MMS, please state your carrier so that we can start to get an idea of what limits (if any) are appearing for the different carriers.
    The update may be a little different too. Sprints, "V's", Bell's and any other may have small code changes to the direction of the carrier.
    Please start you post by listing Carrier.
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    I sent a 3.4MB video to my wife's Pre via MMS with no problems. (Sprint)

My friends on AT&T with a BlackBerry Bold and an iPhone cannot get it. SprintFree txt message says file was rejected by AT&T due to the size.
    ive sent several videos to another line on my account(HTC HERO) varied in length, the longest being 15 seconds. The phone never receives it. I've been attaching as sms. Sprint is carrier.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    The limit for MMS is 300KB. The MMSC server (not your phone) will try to compress anything you send, picture or video, in order to get under that limit. This is why people are ending up with seemingly random formats on the other end. With something like a 30 second video, that's going to be impossible to get it that small and still have it viewable.

This is why you have the YouTube and Facebook uploading built in. I know YouTube isn't instant, but you can always use email if you don't have or don't want to use Facebook. MMS wasn't designed to handle files at the sizes people are trying to send. It would be nice though if it gave you a warning that your file is too big instead of nothing.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast