1.    #1  
    A brand new problem for the gurus unless my search-** failed miserably...

I upgraded to 1.4 without problems yesterday and re-installed a few patches and the "Ink" theme. Everything was working swimmingly by the time I went to bed.

I woke up, opened WebOS QuickInstall to see if any of the patches I normally use had been updated by going to the repository and pressing "Update all". While that was going on, I went to take a shower and get dressed.

Here's where things went awry. After my morning routine, I was in a bit of a rush so I pulled my Pre thinking everything that needed to be done should be completed. Turns out, I introduced some sort of weird bug.

The touchscreen works fine. I see the "splash" indicator when I touch it and I can access all the icons in my launcher. I can make calls, use the messaging app, check and reply to emails, use the web and open the launcher.

However, when I open the launcher and try to select an app, it shows the "splash" indicator but doesn't highlight or open the app. This is the same behavior for all apps on all pages.

I also tried typing in the name of an app (e.g., "Device Info" and "webos20090606") which shows the apps in the results. But when I touch the icon, the phone acknowledges my press by highlighting the icon, but does nothing.

This also means I can't get into Developer Mode. I tried WebOS Doctor but I usually run that on my WinXP work computer; I've never been able to get it to work properly under 64-bit Win7 (got Novacom installed properly, WebOS Doctor 1.4 runs, but gets stuck at the "Connect your phone to your computer by USB" step with the "Next" button never being enabled).

Help??? I know this is likely a result of my own idiocy so any advice on how to get my phone back in working order would be much appreciated.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Reboot your phone.

I've had this before, plenty of times. Reboot.

If that doesn't do it, you might need to pull the battery. Yes, this will be hard if the screen doesn't work, since you can go through the prompts. Just do it with the phone on, since (I don't think) you have any other choice.

If that doesn't work, you're going to need to use the "Dr." and then, if that fails, visit your wireless provider for assistance.

But I think the reboot will work.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the info. I've rebooted my phone a bunch of times by using the power switch. On your advice I also tried a battery pull to see what that would do with no success.

Keep in mind my touchscreen works--it's just that I can't access ANY apps except those in my launcher bar. Trying to access apps on launcher pages doesn't work at all. Definitely one of the stranger problems I've seen or read about on the Pre...

I'm guessing a visit to the doctor is in order once I get access to my work PC.

Anyone else have any ideas?
    Last edited by Disgustoid; 02/28/2010 at 11:01 AM.
  4.    #4  
    Wound up doctoring my phone to get it working again. All is good now. Considering it was my first time doctoring, I'm very surprised at how easy it was to get my phone fully functional with all my apps and settings.

I THINK what caused my error as described above was trying to uninstall the 600Mhz patch and not letting it complete the process, which screwed up my LunaSysMgr file. Won't do that again...