Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Not to suggest that the emperor is naked or anything, but 1.4 doesn't really make the Pre faster, it just fills the load time with that card icon before expanding into the full blown app, giving the illusion that apps open faster. I timed my apps opening on numerous occasions. The phone app took 2 seconds to open and the other apps take 4-5 seconds, under previous update versions. Under 1.4, that remains unchanged. I think it just SEEMS faster because of that little card icon.

Battery time doesn't show much improvement. I took my phone off the charger at around 7pm this evening (at 100%). It's now 11:35pm eastern standard time, and my phone shows 78%. That's a 22% drop over a 4 hour period amounting to a 5.5% per hour drop in power. Thats about what I was getting before.

Also, How is Preware behaving overall? Will I put CPU Scaling or the like work?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    Not to suggest that the emperor is naked or anything, but 1.4 doesn't really make the Pre faster, it just fills the load time with that card icon before expanding into the full blown app, giving the illusion that apps open faster. I timed my apps opening on numerous occasions. The phone app took 2 seconds to open and the other apps take 4-5 seconds, under previous update versions. Under 1.4, that remains unchanged. I think it just SEEMS faster because of that little card icon.
    I agree 100%. It's not faster.
    I agree. If anything, mine feels a little slower, and I've restarted it a couple times. Messaging, email, and internet don't seem nearly as quick as they used to
    it is faster for some applications

one confirmed example on the forums is epocrates, which loads nearly ten seconds faster.
    There are four lights.
    The app launching thing is nice, as feedback in this area is quite welcome. I'd rather have it be faster, but this is good mitigation.
    you guys are completly not insane. The tricked us with the card but I figured that too. And idk maybe I did something wrong but my battery drains atleast 15% quicker then what it used to do. My phone freezes and def runs a little lag'ish. And hardly anything big has been added or change. Palms running outta money and this phone is starting to suck. It's time to stop taking so much to make these 2 big things happen that aren't all that great and add the little things that we don't have. I'm not happy at all,is my update a misfit or what
    it may not load apps faster, but there is 0 lag now. there is definitely a huge performance difference between my phone pre 1.4 and my phone post 1.4. huge improvement.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    I disagree. I don't much care about app load time and it may or
    may not be faster but that's only a small bit of the Pre's performance.
    What is faster, among other thigns, is how quickly universal search
    comes up when I start typing, and how quickly it displays the list
    of matching apps and contacts and such. It's gotten noticeably
    quicker with the last two major updates.

The Web browser is also noticeably better. Page rendering is a bit
    quicker, but it also multi-tasks better, meaning I can start zooming
    and scrolling while the page is still loading, on pages that
    used to ignore all taps until they were done loading.

Calendar app is more responsive but I don't depend on it much.

I have a HUGE call history (going back almost half a year) and
    it now loads *much* faster.

As for app loading splash screens. Even if it's not faster to
    load the app fully, it's still better than tapping on an app to launch it,
    and simply having nothing happen for a while, and not knowing if you need
    to try launching it again. Also nice to be able to dismiss an app
    immediately (which you can do now) if it's launched accidentally, which
    does save real time.

ian
    Is everyone ignoring the new transition animation system when you're going through menus? The new system is end over end better. This is where personally I always felt the phone going the slowest. The new animation is smooth every single time and is better than any animation the old version of the OS had. And as the previous posters have stated, memory management has been improved greatly. There is a lot of optimization that has gone into this new OS. I can actually open 3d games now, and they run smoother then before.

Maybe app load times are the same, but the new splash screen helps a lot. especially for the apps that take a while to activate. it's nice to know that the phone is actually doing something and that your click actually registered.
    Preware seems to run faster than before.
  11.    #11  
    I appreciate all the feedback. It's late, and I think it's possible for an observation to come off as a complaint. I think I agree with the folks who see a reduction in lag. I am sensitive to how quickly apps open because I usually need them in a timely fashion, and, because my wife has stood next to me in the Sprint store and showed me how both the HTC Hero with it's 800Mhz processor, and her Palm Centro, with its 312Mhz processor, open apps several seconds faster than my pre.

But I am definitely NOT seeing an improvement in battery life. Can I safely load Preware and turn on CPU Scaling to improve my battery performance?
    before I had just a little trouble on reg. Full facebook. But now I can use it like I was on a pc,,no issues and not slow.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    The phone and calendar apps are much improved. The phone app isn't an unusable piece of crap now, finally. Scrolling got some treatment as well, it's definitely better across the board.

Overall, I have to say 1.4 is pretty positive. They are finally adding things to bring the OS to parity with other vendors. Still missing things like visual voicemail, but that's another discussion.
    both the HTC Hero with it's 800Mhz processor, and her Palm Centro, with its 312Mhz processor, open apps several seconds faster than my pre.
    Where did she find a Hero with an 800MHz CPU?
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Lexi-Comp also loads unbelievably fast.... before it would hang about 20-30 seconds before allowing you to access the drug database. Now it's more like 10.
    I noticed a bit of lag, especially when loading the phone dialer, but once the app launches, things seem snappier. The web browser is a lot faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    Probably meant the Samsung Moment.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    But I am definitely NOT seeing an improvement in battery life. Can I safely load Preware and turn on CPU Scaling to improve my battery performance?
    Battery life is always weird for a few days after each update.
    Just be patient and it'll return to normal. For me, it has gotten
    significantly better with each new major release. It's always very
    bad the first day, then wacky and inconsistent for a couple full
    charge/discharge cycles, then great. I had 60 hours of standby between
    charges early last week. I fully expect to see that or better by next week.
    Generally anything that makes the UI faster, also makes it more efficient
    so it does more with less energy.

ian
    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    Might have meant the Samsung Moment which has a 800MHz CPU.
    My pre has been vastly faster with the new 1.4 update I timed it between my pre 1.4 and my sisters pre 1.3.5.1 its a huge difference when opening stuff like the browser or messaging even the camera opens faster.

-Toaster
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast