Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just letting you guys know the new webos doctor deletes everything unofficial. and by Unofficial I mean ALL HOMEBREW, ALL PATCHES. I just lost my youview beta and not im ****ed. I had the beta without an expiration date. mytether is gone everything.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    uh... yeah. Doctoring wipes the whole enchilada!
    Quote Originally Posted by echto View Post
    Hasn't always done that. 1.3.5 started saving stuff. I wiped to 1.3.5.1 and my home brew and patches remained....
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    yeah that's kinda the point of webos doctor. It puts your phone back to brand new.
    Quote Originally Posted by hangman0000 View Post
    Just letting you guys know the new webos doctor deletes everything unofficial. and by Unofficial I mean ALL HOMEBREW, ALL PATCHES. I just lost my youview beta and not im ****ed. I had the beta without an expiration date. mytether is gone everything.
    mmm yeah the old versions did too.
    Quote Originally Posted by echto View Post
    I could'a sworn it doesn't touch user section??
    Your not ****ed? I was actually kinda bummed that after dr last night before the update, I still had to deal with my stuck patch issue. I'm happy the new doctor is wiping everything!!!!!!! Save the USB right?

Quote Originally Posted by evilpinkeye View Post
    I doubt it does. I think what they did was instead of protecting "unknown" files in the folder which would save homebrew and patches they are again replacing the entire contents of the folder? Not the media section, but the app's section. Anyone able to confirm a 1.4 dr wipes homebrew and patches again??

Yeah, wrong, it always erased homebrew and patches. What it did in 1.3.5 and on is leave the USB partition intact. With AUPT then you install Preware, and Preware recognizes files left on that partition that signify which patches need to be installed.

While I do plan on using webOS Doctor 1.4 myself in the next few days, I haven't done it yet, and therefore can't say if that's changed.
  10.    #10  
    I can confirm it wipes homebrew and patches...and it hasn't wiped all your data since the 1.2 webos doctor. I wasn't prepared for it. I thought it would be like the last doctor. I didn't back up or make of a list of any of my patches or homebrew programs so now i have to go through the whole list to find what i had. What upsets me the most is the stuff i lost that i can't get back like the youview beta and programs that are no longer in the FREE precentral app gallery.
    Last edited by hangman0000; 02/27/2010 at 09:08 PM. Reason: wooo post 100!!!
    Bummer for me too. tought it was like 1.3.5 and I doctored with 1.4. I was shocked when I saw that all my apps were gone.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Yeah, wrong, it always erased homebrew and patches. What it did in 1.3.5 and on is leave the USB partition intact. With AUPT then you install Preware, and Preware recognizes files left on that partition that signify which patches need to be installed.

While I do plan on using webOS Doctor 1.4 myself in the next few days, I haven't done it yet, and therefore can't say if that's changed.
    thats not true because right after i used the 1.3.5.1 doctor my patches were available at startup. And I am positive Preware is unable to reinstall programs b4 I even turn on my Pre.
    yeah everything will be lost when using any webos doctor. we have had people tell us that it doesnt touch the usb drive but it does. i have had it erase everything and sometimes leave the pics and music. not sure how that happens but it did.
    thats not true because right after i used the 1.3.5.1 doctor my patches were available at startup. And I am positive Preware is unable to reinstall programs b4 I even turn on my Pre.
    I'm pretty sure that the patches you were seeing at startup were most likely settings that got carried over into the Palm Backup. For example if you use add/remove pages, and end up with 5 pages, that setting got carried over. But, the physical add/remove pages buttons weren't intact, and therefore would have had to be re-patched.
  15.    #15  
    I'm pretty sure that the patches you were seeing at startup were most likely settings that got carried over into the Palm Backup. For example if you use add/remove pages, and end up with 5 pages, that setting got carried over. But, the physical add/remove pages buttons weren't intact, and therefore would have had to be re-patched.
    after i 1.3.5 doctored every patch remainded. actually the only difference was my app settings were gone and the wallpaper changed.

if what you said was the case then i wouldn't be in my current situation.
    I have to disagree here. I doctored last night and everything was saved from my home brew to all of my patches. I dropped my theme of course, but I had everything, and the patches were working! I still had to remove stuff to get rid of a dependancy to remove the match area codes and then a EPR to rid myself of a messed up timestamps patch.

Hmm, maybe I'm thinking of 1.3.5, and not 1.3.5.1 then. Or possibly even a version previous to that, I suppose.
    out of the fire into the frying pan! I have to visit the doctor again tonight I think. I am not sure which one is doing it, but I installed 6-7 patches via preware and my browser is not working, worst yet I get the too many cards error and my pre slows to a crawl before rebooting if i try to open preware..... oh well, I think this time I am gonna back up my usb and do a full reinstall. I also wonder if anyone is seeing the side effects of corrupted os installs like the last update. Palms servers must have gotten pounded!!

Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    I have been unable to update to 1.4 because it keeps failing to validate. I think it's something to do with using wifi. Re-trying with EVDO now.

ANYWAY, in trying to figure out the problem I did a doctor. I did NOT lose any homebrew apps. Patches were removed, of course, and services are gone (filemgr,package manager, etc.) so I have to reinstall those to get Preware, Internalz, etc. working. I also lost the data for some homebrew apps (drPodder goes back to default feeds and doesn't have any of my downloads, TimeTracker data is gone, etc.)

I maybe think the difference you're seeing is if you have OLD homebrew apps that you didn't move to the new partition when they changed where apps are stored. In that case, a doctor would wipe them out.
    Quote Originally Posted by evilpinkeye View Post
    Due to a bad install of 1.4 last night, I had to use the 1.3.5 Doctor. All my homebrew apps were still there afterwards. I'm glad Palm went back to the Doctor wiping everything though.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast