1.    #1  
    Maybe it shouldn't be such a surprise, since the Pre is a phone first. But I was blown away by the audio quality. It was really windy on the beach, 15-20 mph. I've taken videos like that before with Flip cams and P&S digicams, and the wind noise would've made it impossible to hear much of anything.

So I'm really happy with the new video app. The image quality is quite good, although there are some color balance issues that can be annoying. But overall, I'd say video quality is an A- and audio quality is an A+. Uploaded to both Facebook & YouTube w/o a problem, real easy.

Anyways, here's the video where you can judge for yourself. Tsunami Terror in Hermosa Beach!

It really is amazing, I was super impressed. Of course, I wasn't filming on the verge of a tsunami, but it sounds great. I usually hate hearing my voice recorded because I sound really high-pitched and terrible, but either I've changed my voice in the past year or the Pre makes me sound nicer.
    Dude....vid was funny as hell, Im like listening to you (freak'n clearly) and thinking in my head, "where's the panic!" lol

Video, again, looked and sounded great
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    hahahaha, well done

always love when hmosa gets some love
    Yeah, funny and the video is AWESOME quality for a smartphone. Are the iphone videos that good?
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Really? I am not all that impressed. It is recording from the speaker by the launch button and not the speaker on the back so it's facing the wrong way for videos audio. Unless things filmed are really loud (in front of me) I could barely hear it. I guess if your narrating things while you film it's perfect. I know PreCorder was the same way and it's probably the only option. Ah well.. .

At least Palm fixed the speaker and put it from mono back to stereo.

Hilarious video though!
    Great quality video.. for one of those "wish I had a camcorder" moments, the Pre seems to really hold it's own.

Now if we can get the flashlight patch to work simultaneously with the video recording.........
    just good to have a video app go pre
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Great video. And yes the sound fidelity is generally quite good, but
    as mentioned above it's coming from the wrong side of the phone so
    often just can't hear what you're filming. Using Precorder before this,
    I found the best strategy for indoor filming was to find a place
    to stand with your back to the wall so that sound in front of the camera
    reflects off the wall into the mic.

Here's a quick outdoor video clip I shot today with the Pre of a powered
    paraglider buzzing our location.

On his return pass in front of me, I cupped my right hand
    halfway below the phone to reflect some of the sound
    from the front into the microphone. You can hear it working because
    the engine sound gets quite a bit louder for a few seconds, but it's
    awkward to hold the phone steady while doing that. Maybe we
    need some sort of new clip on accessory just for this.

BTW the frame rate seems to vary a bit, but VLC and Win7 are both reporting
    640x480@29fps and a bitrate of 1700-1800Kbit/s for my clip. That's pretty darn good
    for a smart phone.

ian
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Amazing quality for a phone on the beach video.. I would of thought it was a dedicated camcorder!
    Btw the sound is recording from the microphone not the speaker... lol

Video is top quality, Love this phone
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by themirthfulswami View Post
    Great quality video.. for one of those "wish I had a camcorder" moments, the Pre seems to really hold it's own.

Now if we can get the flashlight patch to work simultaneously with the video recording.........
    You can use the Flashlight patch, as long as it's Jason's (Canuck Software) patch.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    I gave it a whirl tonight at a small concert to see how it'd do. The video was shot just a few feet away from some of the amps, so it obviously clipped pretty noticeably. All the instruments were audible, though, and music's quite listenable and true to what my ears heard, overall. It turned out much better, in terms of fidelity, than many concert videos I've seen posted on Youtube, that's for sure. I wasn't expecting anything nearly that good from a tiny mic that faces the wrong way.

And on the video end, I was quite impressed as to how much movement was actually visible in low-light. Overall, this beats the pants off my old pocket-sized Minolta's video capability. So if you've got friends in a band and don't feel like lugging around a proper camcorder, this'll do just fine.

ht tp://ww w.youtube.com/watch?v=x9aQJnAbwkk (sorry, low post count, can't give a direct link) is my test clip. I was standing behind someone and didn't want to be "that guy" holding it high enough to get a good shot while blocking everyone behind me. Also, like most concerts in small venues, the singer was kinda under-mic'd, so don't hold that against the Pre
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Is there any tricks to fixing the heavy bass and volume that is received by the pre to make it less loud. For example recording a concert with a heavy bass doesn't have the best audio. Here is a video from Paid Dues 2010 last Saturday:

Would using the volume button all the way to one bar help this out? Was first time testing pre's video recording.
    Last edited by TwizteD25; 04/06/2010 at 04:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery42 View Post
    I gave it a whirl tonight at a small concert to see how it'd do. The video was shot just a few feet away from some of the amps, so it obviously clipped pretty noticeably. All the instruments were audible, though, and music's quite listenable and true to what my ears heard, overall. It turned out much better, in terms of fidelity, than many concert videos I've seen posted on Youtube, that's for sure. I wasn't expecting anything nearly that good from a tiny mic that faces the wrong way.

And on the video end, I was quite impressed as to how much movement was actually visible in low-light. Overall, this beats the pants off my old pocket-sized Minolta's video capability. So if you've got friends in a band and don't feel like lugging around a proper camcorder, this'll do just fine.

ht tp://ww w.youtube.com/watch?v=x9aQJnAbwkk (sorry, low post count, can't give a direct link) is my test clip. I was standing behind someone and didn't want to be "that guy" holding it high enough to get a good shot while blocking everyone behind me. Also, like most concerts in small venues, the singer was kinda under-mic'd, so don't hold that against the Pre
    ummmm that sounds awesome! I thought about using it last night at a concert but I figured it'd sound like dookie, but in the future I will definitely be using my pre to record
    This signature for rent
    That makes it even more of a mystery why Palm hasn't yet enabled the microphone in the SDK... Surely it can't be because of performance, since recording audio by itself is less resource-intensive than recording audio and video.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic