Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have taken a 5 second video on my Pre, and MMS'd it to two other Pre's. When they receive it and try to open it, it says that the file is too big to play on this device.

What the eff??

Same carrier, same phones and video mms doesn't work? Whats the point then? I guess video is really only useful for uploading to youtube/facebook?
  2.    #2  
    Bump.

I can't be the only one that's seen this. And yes I did search the forum first.
    I have not tested this yet but will soon. Email works, I've tested that part of it but I'm waiting to hear back from a friend with another Pre to see if it works.

Also, you might want to make sure that the other two Pre's have 1.4 and that they are not near max in their storage space.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Theres prob a limit for mms video size on sprints network. Theres a limit on all of them. Verizon is like 10 seconds sprints prob the same.
    I sent a video via MMS to myself.. it seems to have converted it from the native format of mp4 to the format of 3gp.

It also compresses the file size from about 3mgs to 1mg

I was able to receive the attachement, the forward it via email to myself..

for what its worth..
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    I have not tested this yet but will soon. Email works, I've tested that part of it but I'm waiting to hear back from a friend with another Pre to see if it works.

Also, you might want to make sure that the other two Pre's have 1.4 and that they are not near max in their storage space.
    One has almost nothing on it and is running 1.4. The video was seriously 5 seconds.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I got the "file size to large" as well when I sent it to 2 friends w/ pre's on same network. I resent and they went through fine, I've tested a few vids via mms and 2 went through perfect, 2 got file to large error on other end, and 1 was "showing square blocks and not smooth" when it was received on the other devices. I'm pretty sure that the OTA video conversion on sprints end (which I believe is what is happening) sucks. My friend said he received my vid as a 3gp, and when he sent one to me it was a .mpg..... so..... who knows *** is up w/ sprint.
    Ive tried
    Pre to Pixie - worked
    Pixie to Pre - worked
    Pre to Instinct - lets just say my wife needs a new phone
  9.    #9  
    That makes sense. Maybe sprint is converting the video themselves, and the 'file is too big' message is likely poor error handling, with size not really being the problem.
    Count me in on this issue. I sent a 17 sec video to 4 people, all on the Sprint Network. 3 of those people had Pre's...the other had a BB Curve. All of them said it was too big. So I trimmed it down to 10 seconds. Same thing. Down to 5 seconds....same error. I shot another video and trimmed it to 4 seconds (anything less, and it might as well be a photo), and emailed it. SAME ERROR!!
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    i just sent a 24 second video to my friend via mms.. took about 2 minutes but as soon as the message went from grey to black, her phone dinged and she had it.. i'd say it's working fine
    I sent two videos to two of my friends via MMS (one 10 second video, the other 13 seconds) and both of them were able to play the video just fine. We're all on the Sprint Network.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I'm having the same problem. It is not being converted correctly. Originally as a mp4 and it's being received as an mpg which is still huge. The most I was able to send was a 4 second video. *** is going on?
  14.    #14  
    This inconsistency doesn't make any sense at all.
    Just thought of something....

As I am waiting for my Pre to reboot, do any of you have the "Audio/Video Attachments" patch installed? Maybe that has something to do with the conversion?
    Last edited by BMIC50; 02/27/2010 at 07:42 PM. Reason: corrected patch name
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I dont have any patches as I doctored my Pre with WebOSDoctor 1.4.0. I did before but not that patch
    Quote Originally Posted by Avlab View Post
    I dont have any patches as I doctored my Pre with WebOSDoctor 1.4.0. I did before but not that patch
    Or what if the "Improve Filename Format" patch is to blame? Oh...you said you had a stock Pre.
    I do not have that patch.i have been uploading,,sending,mms'ing vids all day,,no probs at all
    Those who have gotten it to work, did you send the videos on wifi, or cellular network? I am wondering if it has to go through Sprint's server much like the Verizon issue.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I was able to send a video up to 15 seconds to a Pixi. They received it in mp4 format. When I tried to send a video to the Pre it failed to play and i received it as a 3gp format.

Weird>>>>>>>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast