Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by -Gamah View Post
    Apple Valley, MN

Display: 3
    They had it on display against the wall with all the other smart phones.

Knowledge: 4
    After about 5 minutes of trying to make me pick a different phone he finally settled down and walked me through all of the features of the phone (which I already knew.)

Effort: 10 (out of 5)
    I'm only 18, so as you could imagine they weren't especially excited with giving me a contract... after originally getting my information they wanted a $400 deposit. Since I had been with them on a family share for 3 years, the guy called up to corporate, talked to them, faxed my SSN and Driver's License, etc etc... and 20 minutes later my deposit had been reduced to $125. I paid full price for the phone (minus a $100 rebate) and they also threw in $70 worth of swag (car charger, screen protector, hard case, etc.)

In short, I was VERY happy with my experience and always have been with verizon.
    I think you misunderstood the ratings on sales effort. The rep tried to push you AWAY from Palm for FIVE minutes. That's a zero in sales effort for a Palm device. If you had come into the store not sure what phone you'd wanted, he NEVER would have shown you the Palm.
    Global Posts
    499 Global Posts
    I. Address - Seattle, WA

II. Rate the store on three areas from 1-5 (1 is poor, 3 is averge, 5 is excellent)

A. Display-3 (just enough to know they were actually carrying the devices)
    B. Salesperson knowledge of the Pre/Pixi - 2 (Apparently, I knew more than the salespeople).
    C. Sales effort - 2

III. Comments

In all fairness, I went into the store specifically to buy a Pre. I had done extensive research and I already owned the Droid and was unhappy with it. The point is, when I told them I wanted to buy a Pre, the salesperson made a face. He actually asked me why I didn't like the Droid, as if he could talk me into sticking with it. At the end of the day, they acquiesced and sold me my Pre, but I generally felt as if I was making an unusual request.

It was clear to me that they were pushing the Droid and Eris. I had been into a different Verizon store before that and I witnessed a few salespeople steering customers to those devices. The few times they actually mentioned the Pre, it was more of a "oh, and we also have this". They definitely weren't pushing it.

I admit that I'm unique. I have extensive knowledge of all mobile phones and software platforms. I could tell you the advantages/disadvantages to owning every one of them, but I would expect the salespeople to at least have the knowledge to properly fit a customer with a device that is sold in the store.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Now that people are beginning to hear about the Pre, this thread is meant to capture a snapshot over the next period of how Verizon stores are selling the Pre. This thread is not meant to bash stores or employees but to provide specifics so as to be of maximum help.

I've created a simple 3 part format. Sticking to the format will increase the odds of your rating being the most helpful, there is also a place for comments at the bottom. Please create a separate post for each store. Please also include the address of the store.

I. Address

II. Rate the store on three areas from 1-5 (1 is poor, 3 is averge, 5 is excellent)

A. Display (ie is it easily accessible and nicely done compared to the other smartphones)?
    B. Salesperson knowledge of the Pre/Pixi (ie does he/she know the basics of messaging, phone, email, multitasking)
    C. Sales effort (i.e.does the salesperson appear enthusiastic when talking to customers about Palm, does she/he seem to "like" the phone?)

III. Comments

EXAMPLE

I. Address: 1168 Broadway, NYC

II.
    A. Display: 5
    B. Knowledge:3
    C Effort: 1

comments: a young mom and husband fingered the curve and then the mom saw the Palm, exclaimed "palm" and her eyes lit up (I showed her the phone). When the Verizon salesperson came over, the sales person led her to the Droid and was very animated. Finally, they walked over the curve. The salesperson never went to the Palm display at all.

Seekonk, MA
    A. Display : 5 (nicely set up right at the front of the store next to the Droid display)

B: Knowledge: 4 (very knowledgeable about the Pre Plus)

C: Effort: 4 (made nice comments about the Pre, never talked it down or tried to point at another device)

Was a busy weekday, the store was pretty full. I knew what I wanted before I went in and asked for it and they took me right to it, never tried to steer me away to the Droid display even when I just walked over and started playing with the Droid. Also made some nice comments about synergy and having multiple calendars in the Pre. Overall I felt like he was happy to seel me the Pre. On the other hand, I did ask specifically for the Pre.
    I. Address: Deerbrook - Store (5 miles)
    20143 Highway 59 N
    Humble, TX 77338
    (281) 446-0415

II.
    B. Knowledge:4
    C Effort: 3

I had been going back and forth to the Verizon store a few times - in the past the Pre was $249.00 with $100.00 mail in rebate so I had refused. I was due for a new upgrade. Then yesterday I called (someone told me they removed the rebate) so I called and they said they were only $149.00 and no mailin rebate. So 20 min until it closed I took off for the Verizon store and saw the Store Manager asked if He can help me with anything I told him I was there for the Pre. They have 4 Palm Devices all working - it was weird they had like in this layout Eris, Droid, Pre, Pixie, Storm 2, Storm, Curve, Pixe, Pre, Droid, Eris

So you had accessibility to diff phones. So there was no true one brand or model over another. So the store manager called one of his reps to come and assist me with the purchase. And we went through the purchase without a hitch. I had asked him how was the Palm devices selling at that store and he said they were selling very well. And he was a Palm user himself as well! So this really helps - I think alot of it has to do with educating the reps! And MARKETING the product better. IM loving my first 18 hours with my phone! I used to be an iPhone fan boy and now not anymore! Im a Pre fan boy!
    Last edited by Billy_Koch; 03/08/2010 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Modifying a word
    Sterling, VA 20166
    (703) 406-1470

all around 5 for this store

People were very helpful.

I currently work at a sprint repair center parttime in largo, md and feel the vibe at both sprint stores and verizon are mixed. I personally owned the sprint pre and was happy with it but soon switched to verizon for work purposes and got a droid. Though I love the droid and actually carry both my pre plus and droid using mobile hotspot to keep both connected I find myself going back and forth from the devices. The one thing that really bugs me is that verizon doesn't push the mobile hotspot. I know I find paying for an aircard quite expensive and like the idea of for 40 dollars i can have this functionality from my phone.

Keep up the good work palm. Also i think sprint will get some more palm customers soon as I have seen the palm pre pop up at on replacement list for phones such at htc mogal.

Oh yea after my brother played with my droid and pre plus he now wants my pre over droid and i didnt even have to talk him into it
    I. Address
    4650 Jonestown Rd
    Harrisburg, PA 17109
    (717) 540-8270

II. Rate the store on three areas from 1-5 (1 is poor, 3 is average, 5 is excellent)

I went in on Jan. 25th (after waiting for months for the Pre to come to Verizon), and they had the Pre/Pixi display in the front of the store, with only the sign-in kiosk before it.

B. Salesperson knowledge of the Pre/Pixi: 4
    He said they had all had a short training on the Pre and the Pixi, and he and one of his colleagues said they wished it had been longer. Considering it was the morning of the first day they had the product, they did a good job getting it activated and showing me how my contacts and calendar would now be synced differently than they were with my Treo 700p.

C. Sales effort: 5
    Even though he didn't have to do much phone selling because I went in there intent on getting a Pre, he was very helpful when I asked about accessories and I left with a screen protector, snap-on cover, Jawbone earpiece, car charger, and Touchstone charger. He actually seemed to know more about the Pre than about my Treo, and I was able to answer some questions he had about both of them. He didn't try to switch me to a Droid or a Blackberry at all, and said 3 other people had bought a Pre that morning, and he hoped the phone was successful.

III. Comments
    After reading this thread, I'm extra grateful to live near a Verizon store with helpful staff. While activating my phone, a couple of the other techs were making sure they understood the process, and their training seemed to match reality!
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    WOW. WOW. That is insane! Palm really should have trained Verizon reps alla cross the country for 6 months AND had it in their contract that reps would push the device equally along with other smartphones before releasing the Palm on Verizon.
    I have to wonder how many of those returned phones were other products. Given that most stores seem to not be pushing Palm at all, even to the point of telling their employees NOT to sell them, I find it hard to believe that one salesman even in a good, busy store could lose $350 out of one check just on the Pre and Pixi.

Quick math, based on what I was told when I applied for a sales position with Verizon........full retail for the Pre is $550, no subsidies, no discounts, no upgrade pricing. Just full price. Profit on the high side would be $55. The salesman, tops, would get 5% of that, if that much. So $2.50 per Pre sold that month. To lose $350 out of one check, that salesman would have either a) sold over 100 Pres in that pay period, which we pretty much know isn't even a possibility, or b) have been charged back for the full selling price of the phone. If b were the answer, I'd be leaving that job so fast the door wouldn't even have closed before I was at another store applying for a job with a guaranteed paycheck. In all my years of sales, I have NEVER been charged back the selling price of a product that got returned, I only got hit with my commission on profits. Even at Radio Shack, when they were commission based. I lost what I earned, yes, but not the whole price of the product! Good Lord, I sold a $10,000 Taylor a couple of years ago that came back for bad electronics out of the blue, if the store had charged me $10,000 for that return, I would have been in court within an hour!

I'd be willing to bet that that figure, even if it were for a month, included a crapload of Droids, feature phones, flip phones, accessories........there's absolutely no way one person in even the busiest store would get nailed with that big a pay deduction for a phone that's only been on the carrier for a month. Figure Sprint, the launch carrier of the Pre has only sold 600,000 since launch day as of January, and the size of Verizon (I mean, c'mon, we have three Verizon stores here, in a town of 9000, fully staffed with three or so salesmen per store), and Palm sales at Verizon are clocking in at 50% of what Palm expected in the first place due to all this..............there is absolutely no way in heck that guy lost $350 just on Palm.

*edit* I did find this much out. The average VZW sales rep, at a good store, can make $500 a month commission. Used to be higher, they restructured a couple of years back so they don't pay the employees so much. That $500 is for everything you sell.......phones, accessories, plans, the works. If this guy in the example is at an average store, I'm fairly sure I'm right. He didn't lose all that much on Palm, he lost his money on everything he sold.

Back on topic.
    Last edited by fussnfeathers; 03/08/2010 at 01:40 PM.
    So HOW ARE WE going to help fix this situation? There are a lot of smart people on these boards. I am sure we can come up with something.
    My initial though would link your question to this statement;
    He went on to explain that Verizon sales people get money deducted from their checks for every phone that gets returned that they sold.
    Let those ignorant and biased sales representatives wrongly sell you the Droid and go back to have it replaced with the Pre — introducing the sales rep. to a "returned phone deduction" for pushing the wrong phone.

BTW; I had the opportunity to play with a Nexus yesterday, and my first impression backs up what most of us already know — the somewhat poor build quality/feel, and slightly lack of snap.

On the other hand I found the OS experience of Android to be "messy", and in lack of being properly streamlined. It felt a bit like it was put together of bits and bobs from all over the world — as opposed to the consistent feel of both IP and WebOS, that both are a much nicer experience when it comes to the OS looks.
    fussnfeathers:
    I wrote the review about the employee that got hit for the returned phones.
    I'm sorry that you looked into this topicso much, researched and and picked apart my post so much.

you could have saved a lot of your time if you would have just read my post a little more closely.

I never said that the $350 was from all Palms. EVER. You're right, it was from all returns. (I even said, returned phone deductions" not "returned palm deductions"

ok. Now don't go overboard with that either, yes you're probably right, they might include accessories.
    RELAX!!!!
    no need to go research the topic.

I think you went a little overboard with trying to point out something that I wrote as being false.

next time read the post that you're about to pick apart before you pick it a part.
    Nice thread!

Not familiar with VZW, but is this also posted at the VZ forum? I'm only familiar with Sprintusers.com so would be great to see this on the equivalent.
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    Palm Pre owner since last June.

In South Jersey, my sister in law comes to me for technical advice since I'm in the enterprise tech business for 20 years now. She needs a phone that will let her do "all 5 email adressess" and since she's in the website business, I add in "and probably something that has a great browser since you are in the website business". She's also a Facebook addict, naturally, I tell her get a Palm Pre.

She comes home from the Verizon store with a BlackBerry! I ask why. She said the lady at the Verizon store said "The Pre won't get mail as fast as a Blackberry or as good". I just smile.

2 weeks later, she's telling me how the browser sucks and that Youtube sounds like crap. I whip out my Pre and show her the same video she was watching on YouTube. She can't believe how much better the video and sound is. I show her multiple cards open and how I can read multiple email accounts at the same time. I show her the Palm backup and Synergy with Facebook, Gmail, and Outlook. She's blown away and can't believe they sold her a BlackBerry rather than the Pre. Proclaims "I'm returning this to the Verizon store tomorrow and I'm getting the Pre".

So I see her a few days later....still has the BlackBerry. I had to ask why. She said the manager at the store said the BlackBerry is better and that she just doesn't know how to use it. So she sat with someone for 30 minutes to learn how to use the BlackBerry. I'm like "So someone showing you how to use makes the graphics, audio, and applications better? You mean someone showing you what buttons to push in email makes it a better product? That's like putting a cool shifter knob on a Pinto and that makes it better?"

Just amazing that Verizon is so uneducated with the Pre. I've heard other people tell me that when they go in to look at the Pre, they get told that the Droid is better. They ask why and get told because it is.
    Wow Major...I would smack my sister, and then TAKE her back to the store and have her smack that rep in turn.

After the smacking is done, call the rep an ***** and demand that they exchange the BB for a Pre Plus.
    Burdick St., Towne Centre
    Fayetteville, NY

1. Display 4 Front of store, far left corner. (Kind of "away" from other phones, near cases and headsets. Set up of other displays lead you more toward counter and "free" feature phones)
    2. Knowledge 3 Original salesperson, knew some basic info. Could demonstrate multi-tasking, find and open apps. Store manager had to correct pricing and other mistakes re: "hot-spot"
    3. Sales Effort 1 Never actually ASKED for the sale. No, attempt to close.

COMMENTS: The orginal salesperson was young, but that is no excuse. If i cared about Verizon i may have taken more interest in their sales abilities. (Lack there of) They seem to be fine with being order-takers as opposed to salemen. She did mention the Droid as an option but did not really push me to even hold one.?...This is my impression from end of January visit. This past weekend, this store and another in a local mall went from Corporate to Franchise locations. Not sure if that is part of the employee cutbacks at Verizon or if something else is afoot. Both locations are within 6 miles of a larger corporate location that is still a corporate store.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    Wow, overreaction? So they wanted to make sure you understood the phone. How about, no thanks I'm all set? Instead you turn into badcustomerzilla? Yikes.... Give the guy a break. He was trying to help. Boo Hoo you took a call on vacation.
    Lets make something clear....the phone call came after I had spent countless hours trying to work with Verizon to get more information on the Palm Pre Plus. Surprise, they knew "nothing", were arrogant & as much as told me to "forget it, we don't know anything about it". THEN, I get a phone call from a store that is not even within a hour's drive from my home from a manager who took it upon himself to pull my personal information to solicit me....???? No overreaction on my part, just trying to protect my information from individuals who have no idea what they are doing & have no business calling me!
    Man, reading this thread it's almost as if Verizon picked up the Pre just to get people into the store and then sell them something else.

A question for those that work in a retail store (doesn't have to be VZW, any carrier):

What's the percentage breakdown of customers who come in your store?

a. Ones that know what they want and ask for a specific model
    b. Ones that know what type of phone (smartphone, messaging phone, etc.) but don't have a specific model in mind
    c. Ones that need a new phone for whatever reason and have no idea what they want
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    Man, reading this thread it's almost as if Verizon picked up the Pre just to get people into the store and then sell them something else.

A question for those that work in a retail store (doesn't have to be VZW, any carrier):

What's the percentage breakdown of customers who come in your store?

a. Ones that know what they want and ask for a specific model
    b. Ones that know what type of phone (smartphone, messaging phone, etc.) but don't have a specific model in mind
    c. Ones that need a new phone for whatever reason and have no idea what they want
    I have yet to talk to anyone in a Verizon store that knows anything about the Pre. However, when the Motorola Droid launched they had contractors in there that were absolute EXPERTS on how to demo and sell the MotoDroid. I was so impressed that I almost bought one when I knew the Pre was coming out in just a few months. Thanks goodness I waited!

I thought Motorola was really smart. They put someone in the store during peak times that had no other purpose than to get people excited about the MotoDroid. They were practically tackling people, and they really knew how to appeal to iPhone envy, by showing apps that were just as cool as the iPhone (the bubble level, the bar code reader, and the "screen fog" were memorable).

Palm should be doing that. It was very effective. I'm sure that no one bought any other smart phone while the experts were there. Sure, they sold regular phones, but I didn't see a single Blackberry or Windows phone sell while they had the sales contractors in there. And they knew the competition. He was able to rag on the faults of the Blackberry Storm2, HTC Droid, etc.
    I. Address
    Easton, Columbus, OH

A. Display
    5. It was fine. In the kiosk setting, no one really wins or loses.

B. Salesperson knowledge of the Pre/Pixi
    1. She didn't know much. I went in knowing what I wanted (Pre Plus). It took her forever to get the new phone going and she didn't talk very intelligibly about the Pre Plus (see below).

C. Sales effort
    3. Neutral on this because they didn't have to sell me on it- I knew what I wanted.

III. Comments
    The saleswoman asked me why I was going for the Pre Plus instead of the Droid. I told her my reasons: I thought it was a better overall product and I appreciate ease of use. Droid is powerful but clunky, like a PC. She said they hadn't been selling many Palm phones, more Droids and Blackberrys. I mentioned better multitasking on the Pre, she seemed to agree but wasn't enthusiastic.

It took her sooo long to switch over my number, contacts, etc. and activate the phone. I wonder if it was her first activation! Also, they had no idea that the mail-in rebate had been taken away and their info sheet was out of date. After the rebate didn't register on their computer and I told them the info sheet was wrong, they just removed it!! So then the Pre and Pixi were just out there without any ID! I doubt if they sold any more yesterday.
    So far, the only place I've found real knowledge about Palm Pre is with a couple of people in Tier-3 support. Before I got my Pre, I was so frustrated with the store salespeople not being able to answer simple questions. So, I called support and asked them to escalate me to someone that knew about the Pre.

I have to say they gave me someone that knew a ton, and he know the answer to all but one of my questions. For that, he knew what website I should visit. Every now and then he sends me an e-mail to see how it's going. He is a huge Pre supporter, but he admits there are only a few that know or love the Pre as much as he does...

Verizon needs to fix this. Sure, it hurts Palm, but it also makes Verizon look stupid. And they can't afford to put all their support behind Motorola. They've done that before and it has come back to bite them as Motorola sits on their lead and goes years between innovations. You can assume that will do that with the Droid, and be left in the dust like they were with the Razr and other leadership products (remember the Micro-TAC? Remember the original brick?)

Verizon needs to train their sales people, and recognize that the Pre Plus would be the best recommendation for a significant number of people that walk in to their stores. I usually can't help myself and I'll start showing my Pre to customers while the sales person is talking them in to a Droid. It's wrong that they try to push Droid at everyone. I've spoken to several Droid owners that only bought them because "Verizon told them to" and now they aren't able to figure them out. I sat next to an elderly couple and in front of another guy my age on the plane last week. The couple had a MotoDroid, and the other guy had the HTC Droid. Neither could figure out more than basic calling and texting, even though they were shown glitzy stuff in the store. I showed them my Pre, and they all agreed they liked it and wished they had known about it...

I hope Palm and Verizon monitor this forum...
    Quote Originally Posted by detroitwilly View Post
    fussnfeathers:
    I wrote the review about the employee that got hit for the returned phones.
    I'm sorry that you looked into this topicso much, researched and and picked apart my post so much.

you could have saved a lot of your time if you would have just read my post a little more closely.

I never said that the $350 was from all Palms. EVER. You're right, it was from all returns. (I even said, returned phone deductions" not "returned palm deductions"

ok. Now don't go overboard with that either, yes you're probably right, they might include accessories.
    RELAX!!!!
    no need to go research the topic.

I think you went a little overboard with trying to point out something that I wrote as being false.

next time read the post that you're about to pick apart before you pick it a part.
    Nah, I wasn't intentionally picking on YOU, personally. There wasn't a whole lot of work in that, either, I know the guy that owns one of the Verizon "retailers" in town, so I have a good idea how they work, and I did apply there a few years back, Verizon hiring lady was a little shady about pay details. I'm not a college kid looking for a quickie job for the summer. That was more to point out, just like you said, that guy losing his money wasn't because Palm is overlooked, he's obviously a pretty poor salesman if three quarters of his sales get returned in 30 days.

Besides, I had nothing better to do today, and I kinda wanted to know, since my mom is a Verizon customer. If their service is getting that poor, it may be time for her to move before she gets burned.
    1st post at pre-central. I love the pre. I really need to speak up about my experience at the store.

I.North Irving
    941 Macarthur Park
    Irving, TX 75063
    (972) 869-1945

II. Display=3, Knowledge=0, Effort=0

III. I just came from the AT&T store looking at the ipods. I knew nothing of the pre, but really liked the way it looked. The salesperson literally said "That phone sucks, and we have had a lot of people complain about it." He then showed me the Droid and Storm II. I think I bought the PRE out of spite towards him. I'm glad I did. He even went on to tell me extensively about the restocking fee and if I was unhappy with the phone I could return it. I never really cared about functionality of a phone. All I want the phone to do is text and call out, but now i can't stop looking/playing/tweaking my pre!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast