1.    #1  
    With the talk starting to ramp up about a new WebOS based device I want to throw something out to Palm now before any corporate number crunchers make any rash, short sighted decisions.

If new hardware is released, and us early (original) adopters on Sprint are excluded again due to another exclusive agreement with another carrier then I'm pretty much going to be done with Palm. I could be wrong but I think a lot of othere people would feel the same way. I think WebOS is fantastic and has great potential but with the talk of at&t or T-mobile coming on board, I don't want to see a repeat of what happened with the Palm Pre Plus; needed enhancements get horded by a company with no interest in promoting the device. I'm actually not really upset about the way the Palm Pre Plus was handeled but that's the only free pass I think I can give Palm as a customer.

I know most people think it's a given that Sprint will get the next device but as I read rumors of new hardware and att/t-mobile partnerships being talked at the same time I can't help but get a bad feeling. Hopefully Palm learned their lesson with Verizon but I'm just throwing this out there now so I'm not griping after the fact.
    I lease my car. When a newer version comes out, my car company doesn't upgrade my car to ensure that I always have the coolest one.

I'm not excluded from upgrading - I simply have a lease agreement that I would have to break & pay the consequence for.

I buy what I buy, and a newer one will ALWAYS come along.
    best analogy for the situation /\
    Honestly, I think with any new hardware the best solution would be to not have any exclusivity at this point. That's probably not feasible in carrier agreements and the like, but Palm really could use to get any new device they might have to all US carriers at the same time. It'd be pretty unprecedented, at least in recent memory, and would probably help to get a more positive buzz after the recent negativity.
    I have been with Palm a long time and Handspring before that. There have always been new phones released, each time better, and not to all devices to all carriers. I agree with you I am going to be disappointed if we can upgrade our Pre this year, but don't be holding your breath.
  6.    #6  
    If you compare the Sprint Pre's memory to say a Toyota brake problem then yeah, the car company does upgrade your hardware. It's not about having the coolest phone to me, it's about having a phone that just works as advertised to begin with.

Some upgrades are nice to have while others turn out to be necessities and I think it's safe to say that all Sprint devices need necessary upgrades that we are being excluded from. I don't want a free upgrade, I just want to have access to them without changing carriers.

I respect your opinion but I don't agree. I'm not going to cry if they give exclusivity to at&t, I'll simply change to a new device on Sprint that isn't first generation. However, I honestly don't think Palm will last much longer if they alienate most of the original adopters of WebOS and rely on yet another company to be their savior (I'm sure at&t will push aside the iPhone to promote WebOS just like Verizon did with the Droid). I think Palm will cease to exist much longer if they choose to go this route. I can't really argue the point any more, I'm just throwing it out there.
    Last edited by jeremy3721; 02/27/2010 at 04:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3721 View Post
    but does this car you leased constantly stall out and require a restart because too many cards are open?

I respect your opinion but I don't agree.
    no my car doesnt use cards and it never needs a restart
    my pre uses cards and never needs a restart
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I lease my car. When a newer version comes out, my car company doesn't upgrade my car to ensure that I always have the coolest one.

I'm not excluded from upgrading - I simply have a lease agreement that I would have to break & pay the consequence for.

I buy what I buy, and a newer one will ALWAYS come along.
    OK and to get those cool new features do you have to move to another state to get them?

It's was close but no cigar... you simply pay a fee for breaking the lease and sign a new one for the new car with features.. We'll for us to get the new features offered we have to pay a fee move to another carrier (state) and pay again to get the new hardware...
  9.    #9  
    Oh sorry, analogies can only be used on 1 side of the discussion Got it now.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3721 View Post
    Oh sorry, analogies can only be used on 1 side of the discussion Got it now.
    I crapped on his... he's moving to a new state to upgrade his car
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    OK and to get those cool new features do you have to move to another state to get them?

It's was close but no cigar... you simply pay a fee for breaking the lease and sign a new one for the new car with features.. We'll for us to get the new features offered we have to pay a fee move to another carrier (state) and pay again to get the new hardware...
    I'm sorry, but that makes no sense at all. If you break your contract on your phone to get a new one on another carrier, it doesn't equate to moving to another state at all. You just go to the new carrier, keep your number, and sign a new contract that may or may not be more expensive.

The leasing a car analogy still holds, honestly. You're still in the same location, just with another company.
    this time around palm needs to do a dual release like what rimm does with the cdma blackberries. verizon gets its usually a week or a couple days earlier than sprint. palm needs this c40 to be sprint 4g and and just be a normal 3g handset on at&T. i really think sprint is there only savior in the us and here is why, verizon is soon to have the nexus one and is pushing droids, at&t will be releasing an updated iphone so that will get all the attention. whats left is sprint and this wimax 4g that is ready to explode. all sprint marketing has to say is we have the first 4g network and we have the first 4g phone and palm better make sure that its there device. people not even in 4g coverage will buy the phone because it will be the first of its kind in the states. palm and sprint have a oppurtunity to do something i hope they take advantage.
    I crapped on his... he's moving to a new state to upgrade his car
    No, I think you totally miss the point: your purchase of a phone (as with a car) is based upon certain features and an agreement to pay a specific price, and it isn't at all dependent on what comes out in the future.

If the phone is defective and doesn't work as advertised (again, like a car) you get it replaced....you are not entitled to an upgrade.

If you're stuck on the car analogy: you have the right to break your lease & pay a penalty, and then go to the dealership next door for a newer car. What you're not entitled to is to be able to walk into your current dealership & say "I didn't realize the 2010 models would be so much better than the 2009 I have - you owe me a newer car."
  14.    #14  
    Can we just kill the car analogy? before I get in mine and drive it off a cliff
    Well if you look at market share, it actually makes sense that Palm went with Sprint because their Smartphone market was the most "up for grabs" so to speak- and still is.

If you look at the data that AdMob released from their analytics service in June: AdMob Metrics the market-share data on Page 10 shows that Apple obviously dominates AT&T, Motorola dominates Verizon and HTC owns T-Mobile. Obviously you can sort of sort those out by OS and guess that Android is the big seller on those two platforms, but Sprint lacks any real dominating force like the other companies have.
    Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P -> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    What you're not entitled to is to be able to walk into your current dealership & say "I didn't realize the 2010 models would be so much better than the 2009 I have - you owe me a newer car."
    No ones after that... many including myself will pay for the new phone. I'm sure no one is asking for a free phone but the availability to buy one without being forced to move.

With sprint allowing customers to get new phones every year, dropping 4g in new areas and if palm drops new HW not memory upgrades on another carrier you bet people are gonna be ****ed and just move on to the new 4g phones. While palm licks the other carriers sack. Then go damn while we were licking people were switching and now nobody wants webos
    Quote Originally Posted by jpgiv View Post
    Well if you look at market share, it actually makes sense that Palm went with Sprint because their Smartphone market was the most "up for grabs" so to speak- and still is.

If you look at the data that AdMob released from their analytics service in June: AdMob Metrics the market-share data on Page 10 shows that Apple obviously dominates AT&T, Motorola dominates Verizon and HTC owns T-Mobile. Obviously you can sort of sort those out by OS and guess that Android is the big seller on those two platforms, but Sprint lacks any real dominating force like the other companies have.
    i see it like this sprint has 48 million subs, palm needs to grab 7% of that. sprint is no longer losing 1 million subs a quarter anymore palm needs to take advantage.
    No ones after that... many including myself will pay for the new phone. I'm sure no one is asking for a free phone but the availability to buy one without being forced to move.
    You can but a new phone at any time and put it on your existing line...you simply don't get new phone pricing. And you can put your current phone on Ebay to defray the cost.

The whole "we are forced to stay on our current phone" is rather silly: all you lose is the $150 discount if a better phone's on Sprint, or the ETF if it's not. It's the free market - you always have choices.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    I like how people are debating a hypothetical situation with not a single shred of evidence to back it up either way. When the times comes deal with it then and stop proclaiming your unhappiness months in advance.

If these threads don't stop soon I am leaving PreCentral's forums for good and moving onto another forum. (oh yeah, much like your threat to Palm this probably won't do a bit of good to change anything)