Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I had the same "gray screen" happen to me Friday. I took a picture, then 10 minutes later re-opened the pic app to take another picture and got the gray screen. Rebooted and the app worked fine. Later, I looked in my photoroll and the first picture I took, before the reboot, was gone. The pictures I took after were there, but it was like I never took the first one.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Im having the same issues...Camera app stick in grey screen mode....cant even get to the camcorder......Sometimes a reboot helps --- sometimes not
    Had 1.4 for a day and had the same problem.
    Soapyy
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    I've been in contact with Palm tech support, sending them log files and answering any questions they have. Hopefully this will get resolved soon.

Thread on the Palm Support Forums:
    NEW Video and Camera Do Not Work With OS Update - Palm Support Community
    Just wanted to add a report-

I doctored my phone (VZW Pre Plus, 1.4) recently have no patches and no added apps at all. Zero. nothing.

Several times over the weekend, I tried to start a video capture and the video display stopped updating and nothing was recorded. Tossing the card and reopening it didn't really help. Oddly, it worked fine a few moments later in a different location but when I returned to the same location as before, it failed again.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    The 'black screen with icons' issue appears to be hardware related.

adstads just posted the following on the Palm Support Forum thread I mentioned before:
    http://forums.palm.com/t5/webOS-Soft...ht/true#M16755

"This turns out, apparently, to be a hardware problem. I think the camera's connection is loose. When I launch the camera, I get the black screen with all the buttons visible -- no matter how long I wait, it stays black and if I try to take a picture, it churns for a long time and then says "Unable to take photo." But, if I then firmly pinch the device right over the corner with the camera in it, it must re-seat the camera in its connection because it immediately starts working normally. I've reproduced this at least ten times in the last two days, so I'm pretty sure it's the answer to my problem."

So I opened the camera app, black screen with icons (ugh), pinched the top corner of the device just to the left of the flash (lined up with the ringer switch), and the camera image immediately appeared on my screen.

Finally some kind of solution! Now to get a replacement...
    Last edited by jp22382; 03/17/2010 at 03:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jp22382 View Post
    This issue appears to be hardware related.

adstads just posted the following on the Palm Support Forum thread I mentioned before:

"This turns out, apparently, to be a hardware problem. I think the camera's connection is loose. When I launch the camera, I get the black screen with all the buttons visible -- no matter how long I wait, it stays black and if I try to take a picture, it churns for a long time and then says "Unable to take photo." But, if I then firmly pinch the device right over the corner with the camera in it, it must re-seat the camera in its connection because it immediately starts working normally. I've reproduced this at least ten times in the last two days, so I'm pretty sure it's the answer to my problem."

So I opened the camera app, black screen with icons (ugh), pinched the top corner of the device just to the left of the flash (lined up with the ringer switch), and the camera image immediately appeared on my screen.

I'm pretty sure I get a all gray screen (no buttons). It only happens once in awhile and just started happening after the 1.4 update. I think my issue is software with the 1.4 update.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tbaker55 View Post
    I'm pretty sure I get a all gray screen (no buttons). It only happens once in awhile and just started happening after the 1.4 update. I think my issue is software with the 1.4 update.
    Ah, yeah I should have specified which issue in this thread I edited my post.

I was only seeing a totally gray screen if I tried to take a picture after the camera app loaded with a black screen with icons.
    It's very easy to determine if your camera issue is software or hardware related...

DOCTOR THE PHONE!!

If it works afterward, you know it was software related.
    If it doesn't work, you know you'll need to go get an exchange.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    It's very easy to determine if your camera issue is software or hardware related...

DOCTOR THE PHONE!!

+1 pretty much
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

DOCTOR THE PHONE!!

Doctored, worked for a week or two now it's happening again...

update: hmm, less than a minute after I posted this I opened the camera and it fixed itself. Strange.

I have not tried this, but I found it on the palm forum

http://forums.palm.com/t5/webOS-Soft...ht/true#M16755

I think I actually got that link from this thread, but I'll leave it for people who skip to the last page.
    Last edited by hollywood084; 03/17/2010 at 09:00 PM.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts

DOCTOR THE PHONE!!

Yeah, did that, along with a full erase and uninstalling all patches. But when the issue is not consistent, even after doctoring, it kind of makes it hard to pinpoint the problem. So it wasn't fixed but it wasn't broken 100% of the time either.

Just trying to offer some info for anyone having issues.
    I did a doctor a week or two after the 1.4 update because of battery issues and that's when I started experiencing the gray camera bug which I guess could be a coincidence. At times I have a lag taking pictures and sometimes they randomly get deleted which both started happening after the 1.4 update. I'm not alone and I would think these issues would be addressed fairly soon with the next update.
    got the gray camera bug for first time - pretty sure software related since never had <1.4 webos. popping battery out wait a min and pop back in fixed it.
    Does anyone know how to send the video to email without having to edit it first. It works good but makes you cut it before you send it. Sort of anoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by jp22382 View Post
    The 'black screen with icons' issue appears to be hardware related.

I have rebooted, uninstalled patches, reverted back to version 1.3.5 using WebOS Doctor, and reinstalled version 1.4. None of those actions fixed my camera, but this trick did. The only difference for me was that I had to first take off my back cover and then squeeze the corner by the camera lens for the camera to start working again. But at least it is working now.
    I got my first gray screen today trying to take a quick video. Not convenient to reboot the phone when you're trying to capture a video moment. I vote for software issue...
    anybody else having a grey screen as soon as they open the camera/video app? I have rebooted many times and still no results
    +1, it's issues like this I find 100% unacceptable
    Just tossing my hat in on the camera problem. I used it earlier today & took about 6 pics. No problem. Then I filmed about 20-30 seconds of video. No problem. Closed camera app (in video mode) & reopened about an hour later and....grey screen of death. Java restart, no help. Luna restart, no help. Device restart, so far so good. I'm glad I found this thread & it's not just my patched-to-death phone.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast