Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 158
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by subversiveasset View Post
    When we buy smartphones like the Palm Pre, we do pay for the expectation of updates. No, I'm not referring to the monthly fee that goes to Sprint. I am referring to the upfront cost for the phone.

    How can this be? We pay our money at one time, and we get a phone at one time, so shouldn't all our money only be attributed to one thing?

    ...

    When you buy an iPod touch, it is true that you are purchasing a device with a certain set of features. Apple recognizes 100% of iPod touch revenue the year you buy one. BUT Apple also charges you upfront for every update you get. Why don't they do that for the iPhone? Why are iPhone updates free? Why are Palm Pre updates free? Because our upfront phone purchase costs are deemed to include the expectation of additional service.
    Umm.. I'm sorry, but you're wrong. Your inductive reasoning did not take into account the Android phones, the WinMob phones, the Blackberry phones, etc... Those phones don't get NEW FEATURES FOR FREE in their OTA upates. Their OTA updates are limited to 10mb worth of patches and come once a year in the first year -- if you're lucky.

    Are you saying that because I *don't* pay Palm or Sprint or whoever a monthly $$ fee, I *don't* deserve updates when everybody else gets them??? .... just because that's the way Apple does it with non-subscribing iPod Touch users?!?

    Or are you saying that because Android users must be stuck at 1.5 until a year after release... Pre "subscribers" should have to wait the same length?

    Noo!! You're not!! You're using faulty logic between a VERY limited comparison to one other company.

    If you could kindly show me anywhere Palm has released a statement, publication, agreement, or contract... saying that you deserve updates every 6~8 weeks and can take action if you don't receive them... then please, share that with me now.
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by kegl11 View Post
    Can anyone successfully email a link to a successfully uploaded YouTube video? The link that is created for me in the email is not valid. The video is on YouTube though when I search for it on my PC--the email link just doesn't work.
    (by the way, my Pre has no Homebrew, patches, etc)
    I've had no problems uploading to YouTube, sending email links, etc.

    I've been sending many videos to family of my son since the day I got 1.4.

    Only once has a video not been sent and that was with MMS.

    Here's a link to a video I uploaded to YouTube.

    YouTube - ChannelFinn's Channel
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Umm.. I'm sorry, but you're wrong. Your inductive reasoning did not take into account the Android phones, the WinMob phones, the Blackberry phones, etc... Those phones don't get NEW FEATURES FOR FREE in their OTA upates. Their OTA updates are limited to 10mb worth of patches and come once a year in the first year -- if you're lucky.

    Are you saying that because I *don't* pay Palm or Sprint or whoever a monthly $$ fee, I *don't* deserve updates when everybody else gets them??? .... just because that's the way Apple does it with non-subscribing iPod Touch users?!?

    Or are you saying that because Android users must be stuck at 1.5 until a year after release... Pre "subscribers" should have to wait the same length?

    Noo!! You're not!! You're using faulty logic between a VERY limited comparison to one other company.

    If you could kindly show me anywhere Palm has released a statement, publication, agreement, or contract... saying that you deserve updates every 6~8 weeks and can take action if you don't receive them... then please, share that with me now.
    You have misunderstood what I have said.

    WinMo phones, Blackberries, Android phones, etc., all get OTA updates. These may be plentiful. These may be few. These may be large. These may be small. These may be frequent or they may be rare. But they all get updates. You even concede this -- although you speak about them being rare.

    So, phone companies that do this account for revenue in a particular way. They do not record all revenue at the point of sale. Rather, they recognize over some period (traditionally 24 months). Why? Because the sale price is deemed to include not only the phone, but ALSO the updates.

    I'm sorry that I wrote a lengthy post explaining it only to have it so terribly misunderstood.

    I'll try to say it simply. Palm accounts for 2 years worth of update service -- however many updates or few that entails -- by deferring the revenue over 24 months. Your 250 (or whatever you paid) is stretched out over 24 months because Palm "earns" the money not only by selling you a phone, but ALSO by providing two years of service (which is up to their discretion, but Palm has been very big on updates.)

    This is the same way Apple accounts for iPhone revenue. That can explain why iPhone updates are free. However, Apple doesn't use that accounting for iPod touches. It recognizes all revenue up front. Apple does not feel that it "earns" the revenue for iPod touches from providing x months of services, so instead it charges per each update.

    I could explain the accounting more if you wanted. If you understand about revenue recognition (revenue is recognized when *earned*), then knowing that Palm uses subscription accounting to recognize revenues from its phones is pretty telling -- it means that Palm believes (and the industry believes) that part of their "job" to earn their revenues is to provide continued support through software updates
  4. #84  
    I'm having the same issue. Pulling the battery seems to be the only way to fix it for me.
  5. slope72's Avatar
    Posts
    48 Posts
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpre06062009 View Post
    I am disappointed with the video capture addition. This is one of the most anticipated app if not the most. I have been playing with the app since the 1.4 install. Every so often the app gets into problematic state. When you start the app, it simply displays blank screen. Nothing happens and it remains stuck. Restarting the app doesn't help. Both camera and video capture are hosed. I restart the phone and it works again. How come these things are not tested thoroughly before release? Anyone else have these issues? We need a new point release right away to fix this. You can't even play back the videos in video rolls.
    I just started having this same issue today. I've been able to do video since 1.4 but for some reason I now get the grey sceen of death in the camera app. Luna restart doesn't fix it, nor does closing the app. I have to do a full restart and then I can access the app again, but only once. After I use the app and then close it, I get the grey screen. I don't have any camera patches installed. This plus the incredible lag on the still camera shutter sound make the app just about useless.

    also, when I'm getting the grey screen the phones memory seems to be heavily taxed, even though there are no other apps running. Animations are slow and launching new apps takes longer than usual.
  6. #86  
    Only problem I've had so far is crappy playback of recorded videos, as in: won't play at all, very pixelated at times, play in slow-motion.... Other than not being able to watch my videos on my device, this feature is great! Love it! (yes, you are seeing sarcasm in my words )
  7. #87  
    im having problems sending videos. i havent tried to upload video's to you tube yet. i dont really want too. i just want to send video's through text or email. so far no one can get them through text except my one friend who has a pre. and also only one person has been able to get my video through email and she has a blackberry curve. i emailed it to my mother and she has a blackberry and she couldnt open it. she even tried opening it on her computer and still couldnt. id like to send videos through text cause the majority of my friends dont have smart phones but it always says the file size is to big for them. is there anything i can do
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfanccr View Post
    im having problems sending videos. i havent tried to upload video's to you tube yet. i dont really want too. i just want to send video's through text or email. so far no one can get them through text except my one friend who has a pre. and also only one person has been able to get my video through email and she has a blackberry curve. i emailed it to my mother and she has a blackberry and she couldnt open it. she even tried opening it on her computer and still couldnt. id like to send videos through text cause the majority of my friends dont have smart phones but it always says the file size is to big for them. is there anything i can do
    ive been able to easily send videos to my gf hu has a pre...my best friend has an iphone and he cant receive them....he can receive them thru email perfectly....and i can easily send videos to facebook
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  9. #89  
    so far ive been trying to send videos both by email and mms. i sent one mms to another pre and it was able to be veiwed. i sent it mms to three other sprint users. they all receive it but cant watch it. ive sent it to many others and it always says its to big. it seems like the sprint carriers are the only ones who receive it. iv sent it to many emails too. my mothers blackberry. she can veiw it on here phone but when she opens it on her computer it says it doesnt recognize it.
  10. #90  
    my friend with an i phone just responded. he received the video through mms and was able to play it. why is it only certain people are receiving them?
  11. #91  
    scratch that. he received it through his email on his i phone. i just sent it to my email and tried to view it on my computer and it says "this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. create an association in the set associations control panel" whatever that means.
  12. #92  
    Originally Posted by notaphonegeek
    Funny, I don't remember Palm either promising or charging for this app or the 1.4 update???? Did I miss something? When I bought the pre it made no promises of a video camera. I'm having problems with mine too, but this is something EXTRA palm has provided us for FREE!

    Quote Originally Posted by bipoler View Post
    - um correction this was SUPPOSED to be a feature it just took them all this time release it we were supposed to have this WAY! Sooner ,last year to be exact, also it's not an APP or anything free I already paid for this feature when I bought the phone and was informed it would gain the feature "soon"-
    BUT PALM DID PROMISE THIS ONE:

    Here’s the official line from Palm:
    Palm media sync is a feature of webOS that synchronizes seamlessly with iTunes, giving you a simple and easy way to transfer DRM-free music, photos and videos to your Palm Pre.(2) Simply connect Pre to your PC or Mac via the USB cable, select “media sync” on the phone, and iTunes will launch on your computer desktop.
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyKat View Post
    Originally Posted by notaphonegeek
    Funny, I don't remember Palm either promising or charging for this app or the 1.4 update???? Did I miss something? When I bought the pre it made no promises of a video camera. I'm having problems with mine too, but this is something EXTRA palm has provided us for FREE!
    I'll say it once again. The fact that Palm uses subscription accounting to recognize phone sales revenue over a period of time (rather than all at once) suggests that providing "something EXTRA" is part and parcel with the phone's purchase price.

    The alternative accounting treatment would be like Apple does with the iPod touch. They recognize all revenue at once (when phone is sold) and do not account for a "subscription" of software services, but as a result, they do not offer iPod touch owners with free updates (like they do with the iPhone updates, or like Palm does with webOS updates).
  14. Daemon's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    #94  
    +1 on the issue the OP saw and more.
    Sometimes camera app loads with just a gray screen.
    Sometimes it loads with a live preview but no on screen controls.
    One time I tried to start a video recording and it threw an error
    about a failure to capture or some such (I'll write it down the next time
    I see it). The video I recorded immediately after that error had no sound
    track at all (verified with VLC on my computer). And following
    that half broken video my battery drain on standby went from
    normal 1.5%/hr to 20%/hr with no apps running. Had to reboot to fix it.

    I'm impressed with the video capture quality when it works, but it's
    really no more reliable an application than Precorder is, which is
    unfortunate.

    ian
  15. gryx's Avatar
    Posts
    4 Posts
    #95  
    Happened twice here on my stock pre. Had to restart.
  16. ericp74's Avatar
    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    #96  
    I had my first sad moment with the video app. I was recording my daughters recital & it wouldn't play back on the Pre afterwards. I located the file by usb & was able to play it on my computer. It recorded the entire thing, but only plays 17 secs of sound in the beginning out of almost 4 mins. I was very sad
  17. stevesrjr's Avatar
    Posts
    34 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    #97  
    this was happening to me yesterday after I did a doctor. I restarted the phone and all was good, but it ****ed me off. I thought my phone was broke because no matter what I did when I launched the camera app just a grey screen came up and that's all that stayed there. Java and luna restarts had no effect just a full device restart was what fixed it. I hope this is fixed in their next update, I love the video camera and it would suck if it froze when I wanted to record my son doing something funny.
  18. #98  
    I think sending videos MMS to Pre's & Pixi's with your same carrier work fine. I tested sending a 32 and 14 second MMS video to a friends Pre Plus. They didn't work but I was able to watch his 33 MMS second video he sent me. I sent him a 9 and 11 second MMS video and they both worked for him. I know there's issues with youtube but I think they have to look over the video before the link works. A friend of mine says his Hero has issues sending videos as well.
  19. pkp1217's Avatar
    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigLove View Post
    I have the same issue as the OP, I believe.

    Camera (both still and video) has not worked since I upgraded to 1.4. If I load the app, it pulses briefly, card enlarges to full screen and it immediately goes to a grey blank screen.

    Resets have done nothing, pulling the battery has done nothing.

    On a Sprint Pre, with Preware and 20 something patches, none of which are camera related.
    My phone just did the camera thing for the first time today. It was after I took a 14 second video and sent it over SMS. Following this text, the next time I opened up my camera icon, the screen had the icons for a second, then went black/dark grey. I tried a Luna restart, but no help. I finally did a phone restart and that worked.

    Add me to the number though..
  20. #100  
    Speaking of issues, is no one else having the problem in 1.4 where the camera app is overwriting existing pictures with new ones?

    http://bit.ly/anNYne

    I'm not seeing much if any traffic on this and I wonder if its because its very isolated or if people just don't realize its happening (I only noticed it because I was trying to copy some files off the pre to my PC and couldn't find them).
    JT
    Sprint Palm Pre
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions