Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    same here as OP. Warm reboot didn't fix (orange + SYM + R). Taking out battery did. Only affected 1 of our 4 heavily patched PRE's (all patches were removed prior to update). Camera gets stuck on grey screen.

If persists will doctor the one phone having issues. Did doctoring it fix it for anyone?
    Can anyone successfully email a link to a successfully uploaded YouTube video? The link that is created for me in the email is not valid. The video is on YouTube though when I search for it on my PC--the email link just doesn't work.
    (by the way, my Pre has no Homebrew, patches, etc)
    Quote Originally Posted by kegl11 View Post
    Can anyone successfully email a link to a successfully uploaded YouTube video? The link that is created for me in the email is not valid. The video is on YouTube though when I search for it on my PC--the email link just doesn't work.
    (by the way, my Pre has no Homebrew, patches, etc)
    they goofed on the youtube email-the-link part - me having same issue. Suspect everyone is
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by myblackz28 View Post
    Me 2. A luna restart didnt fix it, taking the battery out did.
    Cool, I'll try that. Because I'm new at this, what's the difference between a Luna restart and taking the battery out?
    Haven't seen anyone post a resolution to the grey blank screen issue several of us have seen when opening the camera app after upgrading to 1.4.

I just ran Doctor 1.4 and my camera appears to be working. Will repatch my phone and see if the grey screen issue reappears.

Again, pulling the battery or restarting did not resolve my problem, only running the Doctor did.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    I think maybe I'd like to try to Doctor mine to 1.4. Bear with me as I'm new to this but I have a few questions.

First, do I need to start over and download a new version of WebOsQuickInstall? If so, what is the newest version and where can I get it. It has the new 1.4 Doctor in it right or can you just download the new 1.4 Doctor independent of the Quick Install?

Also, what do I need to back up so that I don't lose anything important? My contacts are fine on Gmail but what about memos?

What about apps? I've heard that purchased apps are saved to on my Palm Profile and can be reinstalled. What about the others I have? Should I just write down the ones I have and search for them after the Doctor and reinstall them? I'm guessing it's the same thing for patches too if that is the case.

Sorry, one more thing. I want to import my stuuf from Gmail after the Doctor. Can I sucessfully do that after reinstaling apps from my Palm Profile or do I need to import Gmail stuff first?

Thanks!
    I just Doctored it and it resolved my gray camera screen issue. Video recording works for the first time ever on my phone now. I've also repatched my phone with about 20 non-camera related patches and the camera still works.

Yes, you want to download the latest webOS doctor here:

precentral.net/webos-140-doctor-released-pre-pixi-sprint-o2-verizon

If you don't have the most recent version you'll end up having to update again.

My memos, music, pictures, are still there after doctoring. Different partition. Apps should be safe too.
    Last edited by CraigLove; 03/01/2010 at 12:01 AM.
    im not having the same prob as the OP but i did notice receiving a txt/IM while recording makes it stop recording which is a pain in the *** because im always on aim..... sorry if some one said this already i read through most posts and got bored lol
    even after doctoring....when i go c a video that i recorded earlier it shows....then i try to trim it...it gets trimmed but the spinning circle keeps on spinning...so i back gesture...and now when i play any video...theres a spinning circle....camera and video app still work just cant c anything...rebooting as we speak...
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Removing patches did not fix it.
    Rebooting and pulling the battery did not fix it.
    Full erase and doctoring did not fix it.

Black screen with icons on both the camera and video. Pressing the capture button results in 'unable to take picture' error.

I linked to this thread in an ongoing thread over on the Palm Support Forums, hopefully this issue gets some acknowledgement. Not very pleased with this update so far

NEW Video and Camera Do Not Work With OS Update - Palm Support Community
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Same camera problem,blank screen, no patches. Happened after trying to edit a movie, which is really terrible process.
    I have gray screen for a camera (with no on-screen buttons), and every so often, the buttons and things will appear, BUT then I'll have a black screen, and won't be able to record or take any pictures (although the buttons will seem to press).

I want to say something to everyone who seems to insist that we should be content with nonfunctional phones (e.g., juize, leftclick, notaphonegeek.)

When we buy smartphones like the Palm Pre, we do pay for the expectation of updates. No, I'm not referring to the monthly fee that goes to Sprint. I am referring to the upfront cost for the phone.

How can this be? We pay our money at one time, and we get a phone at one time, so shouldn't all our money only be attributed to one thing?

Well, that might be one way to look at things in a cash-basis accounting system, but the thing is we use an accrual-basis accounting system. To explain things as simply as possible, companies must report revenue not when cash is earned, but when whatever product is given or the service is performed. (That way, they can recognize revenue credit sales before people have paid...because generally, they have provided their service by the time the credit sale is made).

So, what product or service does a company like Palm have with the Pre?

Traditionally, accounting standards have mandated that companies like Palm and Apple use subscription accounting for sales of smartphone. Instead of recognizing all revenue upfront, they must defer the revenue over a 24 month period. Why? The explanation is that these companies are not simply providing a one-time sale of a product, but also selling a 2-year service of software upgrades.

This has been the norm, until very recently (you may have heard in September 2009 that Apple and Palm were able to get a rule change approved to allow the alternative treatment of recognizing more revenue upfront.) But this upfront revenue recognition practice shouldn't go into effect until 2011 or so.

I know it's frustrating to hear people complaining. It happens a lot, and sometimes it's just not justified. But I just wanted to inform you all that in this case, it is an utter lie that "you purchased a phone for $299 with a certain set of features...whatever that phone could do when you purchased it, is really all you're "entitled" to..."

When you buy an iPod touch, it is true that you are purchasing a device with a certain set of features. Apple recognizes 100% of iPod touch revenue the year you buy one. BUT Apple also charges you upfront for every update you get. Why don't they do that for the iPhone? Why are iPhone updates free? Why are Palm Pre updates free? Because our upfront phone purchase costs are deemed to include the expectation of additional service.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notaphonegeek View Post
    Funny, I don't remember Palm either promising or charging for this app or the 1.4 update???? Did I miss something? When I bought the pre it made no promises of a video camera. I'm having problems with mine too, but this is something EXTRA palm has provided us for FREE!
    - um correction this was SUPPOSED to be a feature it just took them all this time release it we were supposed to have this WAY! Sooner ,last year to be exact, also it's not an APP or anything free I already paid for this feature when I bought the phone and was informed it would gain the feature "soon"-
    well after doctoring last night and before installing any homebrews and after installing all official apps...i tried to play a video...it played but then I tried to trim one...right after I wanted to save my trimmed video the spinning circle kept spinning...and I back gesture....and I try and play another video and it just spins....****ed me off so much...camera or video app wasn't grey at the time
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

So my camera records fine and edits fine within the phone. The problem I am having is when bring the edited video to a computer and play it back, the video plays back but at the point the video reaches the edited ending, the screen turns white, yet the sound remains.

Playing back an edited video in the phone is perfect, it is just when I bring it over to a computer for playback that this occurs...is anybody else having this problem with edited playback on a computer?
    Thanks.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Same problem as OP here too. No patches installed. I also find the entire Camera app to be much more sluggish between snapshots. The last version update had greatly improved the delay time between photo snaps. Now it is dog-slow again.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Cross posted this issue on the Palm Support Forums.

Tech Support asked me to reproduce the issue and send them a log file. Looks like that did the trick.

Palm has logged this in its software issue tracking system. We endeavor to continuously improve our software quality and thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are grateful to the community and will evaluate options based on customer feedback and software best practices.

NEW Video and Camera Do Not Work With OS Update - Palm Support Community

So hopefully there will be a bug fix coming soon.

and I suppose having a nice clean install of 1.4 isn't a bad thing, fixed my Gmail push issue anyway.
    Looks like I'm definitely not alone in having problems with the camera/video recording after the update to 1.4. I've also experienced the blank gray screen with no buttons. I've also had the unpleasant experience of the phone resetting while in camera mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by bipoler View Post
    - um correction this was SUPPOSED to be a feature it just took them all this time release it we were supposed to have this WAY! Sooner ,last year to be exact, also it's not an APP or anything free I already paid for this feature when I bought the phone and was informed it would gain the feature "soon"-

Ummm sorry Palms release notes for the pre never even mentions video capture. It wasn't until 1.3.1 that it was even mentioned. Plus I believe that it was precentral that broke that story and also came out with the "precorder". So even if you bought it when it said coming "soon", it still wasn't a part of your device when you bought it. 1.4 is an added feature which Palm produced for FREE to better their product and YOUR personal experience. I'm sure you will have something else to complain about next update as well. You're a cool guy!
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
    Quote Originally Posted by bobvanjr View Post
    First, do I need to start over and download a new version of WebOsQuickInstall? If so, what is the newest version and where can I get it. It has the new 1.4 Doctor in it right or can you just download the new 1.4 Doctor independent of the Quick Install?
    yes, download the doctor separately via this precentral post.

Also, what do I need to back up so that I don't lose anything important? My contacts are fine on Gmail but what about memos?
    run the backup app and backup now option, to get memos and accounts and tasks (maybe) and installed apps to you palm profile.

you will lose all your app data, so if any of the apps have a way to save the data, the do it.

memos do get backed up to your palm profile.

also copy everything on your usb drive to a computer, as i believe the usb drive gets erased also.

What about apps? I've heard that purchased apps are saved to on my Palm Profile and can be reinstalled. What about the others I have? Should I just write down the ones I have and search for them after the Doctor and reinstall them? I'm guessing it's the same thing for patches too if that is the case.
    all homebrew apps and patches will have to be reinstalled, so make a list.

Sorry, one more thing. I want to import my stuff from Gmail after the Doctor. Can I successfully do that after reinstalling apps from my Palm Profile or do I need to import Gmail stuff first?
    your palm profile stores the account information (gmail, facebook, etc) so when you doctor your phone and restart it, connect to your profile and then go into each app (email, calendar, etc), they should already have the account info set up, and start the sync.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast