View Poll Results: Splash Cards, Good or bad?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love E'm

108 80.60%
  • Hate E'm

26 19.40%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I personally like them. It lets you know you tapped the right app (something I sometimes accidentally miss; dang, I thought I opened Email but the Dictionary popped up). It looks nice, too. And, to be honest, outside of the new Camera controls & video stuff, it's the only real change I see. Well, that and LED notification.
    --------------------

Palm Pilot Pro > Palm IIIx > Palm V >
    Palm VII > Treo 755p > Palm Pre!

... and they're all still floating around
    my house somewhere, too...

--------------------
    Its funny my first thought it would slow down the phone app, but i tired it a few times...sometimes it pops up with the splash screen, sometimes it pops up like normal.

I think if the app is feeling like opening fast, it'll skip the splash screen. People give it a try and let me know if the same thing happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkumar99 View Post
    like it except for the phone app...it really slows that one down.
    you know, i believe the whole poin tof the splash screen is to let you know the program isnt ready. i hate when the phone would pop up and i'd start mashing keys with no response, then all of a sudden they would all take effect, screwing things up.

now it doesn't show till its ready.

good thinking, palm.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Its ok but i think palm should hav focus on something more that we asked for. i still like to send photos bluetooth.
    depending on one's workflow, i can see how people can hate the new splash card. as someone who opens multiple cards one after another when i use my pre, i really like the splash card because it's easier to launch another app right away without first having to go to card-view to launch another app.

for those people who love to only do one thing at a time, that this is one additional click to bring the card into focus.

overall, though, it does provide better feedback of an app launching and makes the whole user experience a little smoother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    /dislike

Reason quoted from other thread:
    I'll cite this link as well:

Smartphone Fanatics: Palm webOS 1.4.0 Impressions
    /dislike

Reason quoted from other thread:
    Actually, I'd say the splash screens were added primarily to compete with the iPhone. iPhone apps don't all open any quicker than the equivalent webOS apps, they just seem like it--the app shell opens and it looks like it's doing _something_, but really the app is still loading and isn't yet ready for user interaction. The webOS splash screens merely even the game, from what I can see, by providing feedback that an app is loading.

The huge difference from Apple's approach, of course, is that I'm not limited to waiting for that one app to open. I can easily click on another app in the meantime and start it, then return to to first app when it's finished loading. This assumes it's an app that takes longer than one or two seconds to open, but if that's all an app takes then it's not even an issue in the first place.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
    you know, i believe the whole poin tof the splash screen is to let you know the program isnt ready. i hate when the phone would pop up and i'd start mashing keys with no response, then all of a sudden they would all take effect, screwing things up.

now it doesn't show till its ready.

good thinking, palm.
    Yes, this. Also having instant feedback is great. The iphone opens a new blank page as the app is loading with a fancy transition, which makes it feel faster. Now we have this, but we also get a transition when it's done loading. Very slick and impresses my iphone owning friends with its responsiveness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flak1969 View Post
    Good because you can flick it away before it completely loads if you opened the wrong app.
    Quote Originally Posted by neodoru View Post
    you could do that before ... you just swiped up after tapping on an app.
    @neodoru
    The point was that if you opened the wrong app before you wouldn't know until it's loaded all the way.
    Doesn't bother me... it is nice to know the app is loading rather than wondering what's going on.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I've also noticed that the phone app, once initially loaded, always slides up instantly now. Previously, the app had to load each time. Very useful considering it's a phone hurr.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Actually, I'd say the splash screens were added primarily to compete with the iPhone. iPhone apps don't all open any quicker than the equivalent webOS apps, they just seem like it--the app shell opens and it looks like it's doing _something_, but really the app is still loading and isn't yet ready for user interaction. The webOS splash screens merely even the game, from what I can see, by providing feedback that an app is loading.

The huge difference from Apple's approach, of course, is that I'm not limited to waiting for that one app to open. I can easily click on another app in the meantime and start it, then return to to first app when it's finished loading. This assumes it's an app that takes longer than one or two seconds to open, but if that's all an app takes then it's not even an issue in the first place.

My biggest ***** about the splash screens is that phone based apps [phone, messaging etc] have slowed down big time, or at least thats the feeling I get from the splash screen.

Trying loading device info.. jesus.
    My biggest ***** about the splash screens is that phone based apps [phone, messaging etc] have slowed down big time, or at least thats the feeling I get from the splash screen.

I still don't understand how you're trying to say the user experience has been negatively impacted with the splash screen. Of course, everything is personal preference, but the immediate feedback is a positive UI design.

I have seen posts that have users state the click-to-fully loaded time is the same or better with the 1.4 update.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

INITIAL load times seem a lot slower, but afterwards everything is very very snappy. Reminds me of when I used to use firefox - The first load took upwards of 30 seconds but then successive launches were quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSilver View Post
    I still don't understand how you're trying to say the user experience has been negatively impacted with the splash screen. Of course, everything is personal preference, but the immediate feedback is a positive UI design.

I have seen posts that have users state the click-to-fully loaded time is the same or better with the 1.4 update.
    Go try the load Device Info [just as an example].

Dude, it gives you the feeling that the phone is slower than it really is.

That's not a good thing in a competitive market when you're not the big guy.

I'm not talking about apps you've downloaded. I'm talking about the phone based apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    @neodoru
    The point was that if you opened the wrong app before you wouldn't know until it's loaded all the way.
    Yeah, the old way if you didn't realize it opened an invisible card you could end up launching an app twice and it takes even longer.

It also helps if you want to start several apps at once. You see right away by the icon on the card which app it is.

If you opened the wrong app accidentally you can swipe it away before the thing even loads. That right there is a time saver. I don't see how you could not like it, the old way was just bad. Opening an app with no user feedback was bad design.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12