Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gersh49 View Post
    I'm with the OP. Not liking the splash card.
    I'm with these guys.
    Last edited by Elizabeth1129; 02/27/2010 at 01:10 PM. Reason: clarity
    Quote Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
    i love it. i totally agree with the previous poster. and, i don't know if it's placebo, or just that that card makes it seem like something is going on, but it feels like apps load faster. maybe it's not placebo effect and is a real speed increase?
    Ditto....I like it. I did test with my wife's 1.3.5.1 device side by side with my 1.4. They both loaded apps equally as fast...or slow. But it does give a sense of being quicker. Going to tell my wife that things load faster and see if she notices.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    +1

My phone app you use to be instant and always wondered why people complained about the phone app lag.. after 1.4 I know now..

So has anyone done any digging to see if it is a feature that can be turned off on a per app basis or is it os wide...

Would love to turn it off for just the phone app....
    for the Phone app, if there no loading time needed then it just opens the nornal way. If it needs a sec or 1 then it will do the card thing. If it doesn't need it it doesn't do it. That's how it's worked for me so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    They both loaded apps equally as fast...or slow. But it does give a sense of being quicker.
    I guess it's all about perception. Before 1.4 I got used to how long it took to load an app and didn't have a problem with it, now I'm being reminded (taunted?) how long I have to wait before the app opens.
    Hate it as it reminds me the Pre is trying to hide any slow loading.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    I like it for the most part. I think the next logical step as the OS grows and matures (2.0 or beyond) is that this will turn into a snapshot of the app itself while the loading is going on.
    I like it, but I am so into the habit of opening an app and pressing the menu button to create a blank card and swiping to another card. Now it goofs my method up, but I will get used to it.
    If someone is truly unhappy with the new splash screen, you are trying to fish for something to complain about.
    so gay
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiec10 View Post
    Hate it as it reminds me the Pre is trying to hide any slow loading.
    It's not hiding any slow loading, actually the opposite. It is giving the user feedback that the phone registered your intent to load an app, a la Iphone.

If it takes the exact same time to actually load an app, the splash screen portrays a faster response.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
    I like it for the most part. I think the next logical step as the OS grows and matures (2.0 or beyond) is that this will turn into a snapshot of the app itself while the loading is going on.
    Try the calculator app. It looks like it already does this if the app supports it.
    The splash card honestly gives the perception that the phone is taking longer to load than it really is [best examples: phone, messaging, calendar, email, device info, update apps] this is a very bad thing when competing with other phones such as the iPhone which have always had the upperhand on speed.

Perception IS reality.

I very much so dislike it.
    I found this, from Smartphone Fanatics, illuminating:

"Startup Card

This new "feature" drives me nuts. Before this feature was baked, or perhaps half-baked, into webOS, I never thought that app load times where longer then any other smartphone. Now I have a graphic that gets in my face every time I launch a new application that reminds me that I have to wait for my application to load. Ugh! I hate the start up card because I almost always flick cards away when I'm done using an app, so I start apps up all the time. Hopefully, we'll be given an option to turn this option off in a future release of webOS."

Smartphone Fanatics: Palm webOS 1.4.0 Impressions
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    If this is the only thing we have to complain about 1.4, them I'm happy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by gersh49 View Post
    I found this, from Smartphone Fanatics, illuminating:

"Startup Card

This new "feature" drives me nuts. Before this feature was baked, or perhaps half-baked, into webOS, I never thought that app load times where longer then any other smartphone. Now I have a graphic that gets in my face every time I launch a new application that reminds me that I have to wait for my application to load. Ugh! I hate the start up card because I almost always flick cards away when I'm done using an app, so I start apps up all the time. Hopefully, we'll be given an option to turn this option off in a future release of webOS."

Smartphone Fanatics: Palm webOS 1.4.0 Impressions
    Exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by nitetex View Post
    If this is the only thing we have to complain about 1.4, them I'm happy!!
    Yes, there will always be those that dislike trivial things.
    Funny that priority was given to generating these card animations rather than to getting the GPU to acutally load these apps fast enough to not need a loading time distraction.
    It does remind you that you are waiting but the visual feedback also has the simultaneous effect of making you feel like its loading faster since the splash screen pops up.

Not to worry...as soon as the 600, 720, and 800MHz patches are released our waiting gripes will be over.
    Love em,

You have to give the user some indication that they've performed an action.
    i like the splash card. Nothing wrong with a little feedback to my user input...
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast