Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MSB View Post
    Just to be clear... this is NOT a software bug. This appears to be a hardware issue related to the sensor that auto-detects whether a headset has been inserted or not. I believe the sensor is very rapidly switching the phone into and out of headset mode.

I know many of you say, "It never happened before 1.4 - so it MUST be a 1.4 bug." However, if you started seeing the flashing volume icon right after the 1.4 upgrade, then I'm certain you DID have a hardware issue prior to 1.4. It's just that you may not have noticed it because there was no visible indication of the phone switching modes.

Personally, I noticed a faint "clicking" sound and sometimes the party on the other line wouldn't hear me or I wouldn't hear them... but it was infrequent and usually corrected itself during the call. It also didn't seem to significantly affect the behavior of the phone (other than the screen turning on/off randomly and the infrequent phone cut outs)

So, what happened in 1.4? They introduced a new "feature" that would briefly flash up the volume icon whenever you changed modes (i.e. headset -> phone) so that you would know the sound level before you put the device up to your ear.

For people that don't have the hardware issue, they don't see this as a problem. For people that do have the hardware issue, the volume icon flashes repeatedly as the faulty sensor rapidly switches the phone in and out of headset mode. (And the build date is most likely irrelevant, unless they improved the durability of the headset sensor. For the record, though, I have a release day phone) And for me at least, when this flashing happens, it severely interrupts the phone's ability to do other things... like process a gesture swipe.

So, if you have this problem, I would recommend you go to the Sprint store and get them to fix/replace your phone. I would also suggest that you do this before Palm sends out a software patch to suppress the flashing icon (assuming they do), because it's much easier to demonstrate the problem to the Sprint tech with the very obvious flashing icon.

I have to disagree with you on this one. I agree that there is a hardware issue with the phones as well. I however never had problems in call until 1.4. This issue is something that I do notice that occurs in call for me and causes interruptions to my phone calls.
  2. msb
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GolpherZX View Post
    I have to disagree with you on this one. I agree that there is a hardware issue with the phones as well. I however never had problems in call until 1.4. This issue is something that I do notice that occurs in call for me and causes interruptions to my phone calls.
    What part do you disagree with, exactly?

Here's what I said about the impact of the 1.4 software on the hardware problem: "And for me at least, when this flashing happens, it severely interrupts the phone's ability to do other things... like process a gesture swipe." I think the interruptions in the call would fall under that.

For people without the hardware problem, this isn't a problem... which leads me to believe that the 1.4 upgrade didn't cause the problem, but rather exacerbated the symptoms of an existing hardware issue.
    The part about that it is not a bug in 1.4. If it was a hardware issue it would have occurred before hand. It might just be how each of us defines "bug", but in my opinion a bug causes something to not work properly, that may work properly otherwise. That is where I feel that it is indeed a bug. A bug that just happens to occur with a certain lot of phones developed.

Either way, I think we all have agreed in what we are dealing with. Now just waiting for Palm to send out the fix sooner hopefully rather than later.
    if they fixed the button sensor and it just so happens that our hardware wqs previously failing but the software didn't recognize, then that would be hardware fail through software fix. Not bug... Right?

I'm dizzy. :-)
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I have an original Pre from launch, (actually my third from launch) and have been using it for the past almost eight months. Prior to 1.4, I had issues with it being stuck in Headset mode. When I updated to 1.4, I noticed the volume rocker display issue right away. It would usually happen when I slid open or shut the phone. After messing with the headphone jack, trying to get it to switch in and out properly, it is now perpetually stuck in headset mode and I can't get it out. I took it in to Sprint this morning and told them about the volume display issue, and it being stuck in headset mode. The technician told me that they would try and clean the jack (which I've done numerous times), reset it and see if it still won't work. She came out 5 minutes later, I tried to call voicemail, no sound came out. I tried to play some music and no sound came out. She said that they'd order a new one and have it for me tomorrow!
    Cheers.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    They are most likely ordering you a Refurb (refurbished phone). Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
    Wow, I scored, walked into Sprint store, told the guy my problems, he said the techs would need 45 minutes with my phone. They gave me a brand new one in place of it. Haven't had much time yet but pretty sure this problem is el gonzo and I didn't even have to wait 2-5 days for one to be ordered first.
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Wow, I scored, walked into Sprint store, told the guy my problems, he said the techs would need 45 minutes with my phone. They gave me a brand new one in place of it. Haven't had much time yet but pretty sure this problem is el gonzo and I didn't even have to wait 2-5 days for one to be ordered first.
    ur lucky i get mine tomorrow or friday
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Received my 6th refurb today from Asurion.. This one was replaced due to liquid damage -- Liquid damage that I caused when I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing and sprayed contact cleaner directly inside of the headphone jack instead of on a Q-tip (Yeah -- dont do that). The original problem was the headphone jack though -- on my 5th replacement.

I can confirm that my replacement phone has a good headphone jack (for now), and the volume icon is not popping up. It will go bad again though -- guaranteed. I use the headphone jack every single day when I go in the car and plug the phone into my stereo.. The jack was clearly not designed for that type of heavy usage, and it will fail again on me. You can only clean it so many times.. I think eventually the metal contact wears down to the point where it cant detect the post of the plug anymore.

And again -- to everyone saying this is a software bug -- it is NOT. It is a hardware defect.. 1.4 only added code that illustrates the problem at hand (This is a good thing -- it makes it much easier to discover rather than answering your phone and the phone thinks a headset is connected). It will only be corrected when Palm redesigns the headphone jack and for our existing phones, that is not going to help.
    Last edited by RickNY; 03/03/2010 at 09:30 PM.
    If this was a software bug, wouldn't everyone's pre be having this issue? We have 3 Pres in our family and none of them have this volume issue bug.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I'm not positive on this guys so don't quote me on this but I believe when the sprint employees use the word "new" phone, what actually mean is new to you. I'm thinkin' all the new phones being obtained in previous posts are in fact just refurbished ones, as that is my experience(s) with them. That is why I personally am waiting from the word from Palm for a fix rather than get some previously used phone that has historically already had problems.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    For anyone that doesn't know -- you can always check if your phone is refurbished or not by dialing ##786# -- Scroll down, if it says 'RECONDDATE' and 'RECONDSTATUS = yes', then its a refurb.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    If this was a software bug, wouldn't everyone's pre be having this issue? We have 3 Pres in our family and none of them have this volume issue bug.
    It's most likely a software change in 1.4 that is dependent on specific hardware (the headphone jack) that is a little flaky. It appears to me that in 1.4 the volume icon pops up if WebOS detects a change in where the audio is routed (I see mine now when my Bluetooth A2DO connects in my car). I suspect that it's very sensitive to changes from the headphone jack, and a lot these phones have a jack that's making some kind of intermittent contact ... they just never noticed before because they didn't see anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNY View Post
    For anyone that doesn't know -- you can always check if your phone is refurbished or not by dialing ##786# -- Scroll down, if it says 'RECONDDATE' and 'RECONDSTATUS = yes', then its a refurb.
    good tip! also, it seems that my sprint store keeps refurbished phones in stock normally, but was out when I was was tying to replace mine. It did come in the next day though.
    I also noticed that they said they were getting me a new phone.... new to me.... aka refurb.
    So far, no complaints though... looks brand new, no scratches, no oreo effect, and no other problems.... yet.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gregdep View Post
    good tip! also, it seems that my sprint store keeps refurbished phones in stock normally, but was out when I was was tying to replace mine. It did come in the next day though.
    I also noticed that they said they were getting me a new phone.... new to me.... aka refurb. So far, no comlaints though... looks brand new and no problems at all.... yet.
    What bugs me is that Sprint seems to have stopped the Self-Service replacement website.. In the past, for my replacements, I went to the site, filled out the form and received my replacement phone the next day, shipped overnight. When they receive the old phone back, they would determine if it was a defect or an Asurion issue.. Now, they seem to be requiring that you go to a Sprint repair center to have the phone looked at -- and if the repair center determines it needs to be replaced, they order it for you (if they dont have any refurbs in stock) -- and then you have to go back the next day. My problem with that is that the nearest Sprint store to me with repair services is 40 miles away.
    Got my replacement Pre today no questions asked from Sprint reps once I showed them the issue. 1 day turn around to get it and it's doing great so far. Looks brand spanking new even though it's a referb. Build quality seems far better than my original Pre form launch day. Much happier now. It's a sprint build 2.2 phone.
    Unfortunately, my local Sprint store has been very unhelpful with this issue. They had their tech inspect the phone and run it through some 'tests'. After an hour, I was told they couldn't replicate the problem and the phone was given back to me sans patches and my loaded homebrew apps. The problem, however, persists. I'm nearly ready to jump ship (and carriers) to either an iPhone or Droid.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNY View Post
    Oh wow, I did not know that. Wish I would have known it earlier. That is quite the awesome piece of information. Thanks for the advice!
    Quote Originally Posted by kslmd View Post
    Unfortunately, my local Sprint store has been very unhelpful with this issue. They had their tech inspect the phone and run it through some 'tests'. After an hour, I was told they couldn't replicate the problem and the phone was given back to me sans patches and my loaded homebrew apps. The problem, however, persists. I'm nearly ready to jump ship (and carriers) to either an iPhone or Droid.
    u shouldve replicated the problem in their face...thats wut i did....they did replcae the volume rocker thinking it was that...i tried to replicate the problem again and it didnt work so i went home...2 hrs later it happened again so i called them saying it happened again...so now im getting a replacement either tomorrow or friday...but like im saying do it in their face so u know wut ur talking about
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by kslmd View Post

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately you had a poor sprint Rep. Thankfully, I took my phone to my local repair center and spoke to a rep that has a pre, uses precentral, uses preware and he saw this thread. The rep took my launch day pre back to the tech, replaced a couple things (including my rubber USB port cover), and everything has worked since.
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast