Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 341
  1. #141  
    Seriously... after dealing with this frickin volume icon bug, I'm about a hair away from doctoring back to 1.3.5.1... atleast until Palm comes out with an update patch for the problem.

    Although on the other hand, I've been reading posts that people with newer hardware build dates aren't experiencing the problem.. or atleast aren't noticing it yet.. My Pre is OG build, first batch. I'm hesitant to get a replacement, which might be worse off than my current one - perfect shape except for the little crack near the USB port, which isn't spreading or affecting the screen...yet. Hmmm.. what to do. Wait for Palm's update or rush in on a replacement...

    Any experiences or input that would help me tilt my decision one way or the next? Are the newer builds REALLY a better quality build, seeing as how it's been coming up on a year now that the phone's been out?
  2. migs's Avatar
    Posts
    875 Posts
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    #142  
    I also think it might have to do with the headphone jack as well..
  3. #143  
    That's what gets me - this issue never came up with 1.3.5.1... that's why I'm pretty much convinced it has something to do with their new code exposing a hardware issue, maybe in the first batch of phones or even subsequent batches up until a certain point. I'm pretty sure though that when they were developing this new update, they were using fairly recent/new phones.
    However, if that's the case, it would be highly stupid of them not to test on an original batch phone... maybe their testing group didnt have many people with the same hardware/software issue, or because the amount of people with the issue didn't reach that certain percentile that warrants further investigation...
  4. #144  
    Well, I just took my phone in to a Sprint Repair store. They said they couldn't replace my phone, even with volume and headset issues, cuz it has physical damage (the area around the USB door is cracked and a small piece is missing). They said I'd have to use the TEP with the $100 deductible to get another phone.

    Lame.
    Always pimpin' PunnyShirts.com
  5. LVRealtor's Avatar
    Posts
    53 Posts
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    #145  
    I had two phones crack at the USB door, FYI. Seems to be a flaw.
  6. #146  
    Quote Originally Posted by jack.shiot View Post
    That's what gets me - this issue never came up with 1.3.5.1... that's why I'm pretty much convinced it has something to do with their new code exposing a hardware issue, maybe in the first batch of phones or even subsequent batches up until a certain point. I'm pretty sure though that when they were developing this new update, they were using fairly recent/new phones.
    However, if that's the case, it would be highly stupid of them not to test on an original batch phone... maybe their testing group didnt have many people with the same hardware/software issue, or because the amount of people with the issue didn't reach that certain percentile that warrants further investigation...
    It never came up before because the code to show the volume bar wasn't there every time you connect to a bluetooth headset or insert headphones.
  7. #147  
    I thought this volume display thing was a new feature, to let me know I have the volume MAXED to the speaker, before I put it up to my ear (causing deafness). It only comes up and then fades back out for a moment anyway. And all of you are saying it's a bug?
    *shrug*
  8. #148  
    I just got back from the Sprint store with my replacement Pre. It looks to be in pretty good condition - no visible scratches, dents, or cracks - and it oreo's about half as much as the phone it is replacing.

    I am in the process of updating my new phone to 1.4 to see if it has the same issue. I will post the results once the update has completed.
  9. #149  
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeInMKE View Post
    I just got back from the Sprint store with my replacement Pre. It looks to be in pretty good condition - no visible scratches, dents, or cracks - and it oreo's about half as much as the phone it is replacing.

    I am in the process of updating my new phone to 1.4 to see if it has the same issue. I will post the results once the update has completed.
    How long did you have to wait for your replacement? 3-5 days/ Sure wish they'd keep replacements handy for us in the store..
  10. #150  
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    How long did you have to wait for your replacement? 3-5 days/ Sure wish they'd keep replacements handy for us in the store..
    well even after the sprint tech replaced the volume rockers for me....couple hours later i still have the volume icons appearing...i called in so i dont have to go over there...and they told me that in 2 days they'll have my replacement ready for me
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  11. #151  
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    How long did you have to wait for your replacement? 3-5 days/ Sure wish they'd keep replacements handy for us in the store..
    I received my replacement within 24 hours. just updated to 1.4 and no problems so far. on a side note, my refurbed replacement looks and seems brand new!
  12. #152  
    Quote Originally Posted by gregdep View Post
    I received my replacement within 24 hours. just updated to 1.4 and no problems so far. on a side note, my refurbed replacement looks and seems brand new!
    Awesome, I'm going in after work today to arrange for a replacement! :P
  13. #153  
    I'm having the same problem with my launch day pre . I don't have touchstone and it has only started after 1.4!


    Anybody have any ideas besides getting a new or refurb? I've done both hard and soft resets, but nothing is working.
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
  14. msb
    msb is offline
    msb's Avatar
    Posts
    109 Posts
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    #154  
    Just to be clear... this is NOT a software bug. This appears to be a hardware issue related to the sensor that auto-detects whether a headset has been inserted or not. I believe the sensor is very rapidly switching the phone into and out of headset mode.

    I know many of you say, "It never happened before 1.4 - so it MUST be a 1.4 bug." However, if you started seeing the flashing volume icon right after the 1.4 upgrade, then I'm certain you DID have a hardware issue prior to 1.4. It's just that you may not have noticed it because there was no visible indication of the phone switching modes.

    Personally, I noticed a faint "clicking" sound and sometimes the party on the other line wouldn't hear me or I wouldn't hear them... but it was infrequent and usually corrected itself during the call. It also didn't seem to significantly affect the behavior of the phone (other than the screen turning on/off randomly and the infrequent phone cut outs)

    So, what happened in 1.4? They introduced a new "feature" that would briefly flash up the volume icon whenever you changed modes (i.e. headset -> phone) so that you would know the sound level before you put the device up to your ear.

    For people that don't have the hardware issue, they don't see this as a problem. For people that do have the hardware issue, the volume icon flashes repeatedly as the faulty sensor rapidly switches the phone in and out of headset mode. (And the build date is most likely irrelevant, unless they improved the durability of the headset sensor. For the record, though, I have a release day phone) And for me at least, when this flashing happens, it severely interrupts the phone's ability to do other things... like process a gesture swipe.

    So, if you have this problem, I would recommend you go to the Sprint store and get them to fix/replace your phone. I would also suggest that you do this before Palm sends out a software patch to suppress the flashing icon (assuming they do), because it's much easier to demonstrate the problem to the Sprint tech with the very obvious flashing icon.
  15. #155  
    Thanks MSB, I just hate to say goodbye to my first smartphone .

    Should I take it in to the service center or just do it by phone? Sprint just sent my son's new pre for his inability to hear when not in speaker mode and it went by smoothly.

    Recommendations??
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
  16. #156  
    That reallly sucks. Did you tell them that the cracked housing issue has been widely reported? From the posts I've read regarding the issue on here, Palm AND Sprint seem to be aware of the problem.

    I would suggest next time you go in, mention that it's even on the Palm Support forums - search the Palm forums for "palm pre screen cracked" and it comes up with a ton of posts regarding various screen/handset cracks. Besides, if you can't get your phone replaced, why bother paying insurance?
  17. #157  
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    It never came up before because the code to show the volume bar wasn't there every time you connect to a bluetooth headset or insert headphones.
    Yeah... that seems likely the correct answer. I don't even bother plugging anything into the headphone jack because it just plain _sucks_.... good thing I don't use earpieces either! Haha... Thanks for the info...
  18. #158  
    I think that if all else fails.. and Palm DOES release an update patch to fix this volume icon bug... I'm still taking it in because the headphone jack doesn't work for jack. That should be enough to get a replacement, period.
  19. #159  
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    How long did you have to wait for your replacement? 3-5 days/ Sure wish they'd keep replacements handy for us in the store..
    Two days.
  20. #160  
    I'm still trying to upgrade my Pre to 1.4. It goes through the "Downloading..." stage for what seems like a half an hour, and then reports one error or another.

    "The update failed to properly validate." is particularly popular.
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions