Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    I got the same problem. It started when I tried my headphones/aux jack. But I noticed if i put pressure too by the earpiece, i got a sound icon. Its a different icon than the music or ringer volume icon. Odd. I never used the headphones because of the getting stuck in headphones mode issue. I never knew if it was hardware or software, so I rarely used it. If I can use my headphones jack normally, I could sell my iPods and be happier with just my Pre, but I'm scared to rely on my pre for music only now, especially w/ this bug...
    I have this same issue as well. Not sure if the phone is a launch-day Pre - I had one, but swapped it out about a month after because the slider was crazy loose.

I notice, after taking the back cover off, that pressing on the back, anywhere in the top 1 inch or so of the phone, causes the icon to show up.

I am wondering since this seems definitely like it's caused by hardware, if this had been happening all along, but only in 1.4 does it now show up in the UI.
    +1

sometimes happens even if I'm not touching the phone (sits there and flashes volume icons wildly). Began immediately after 1.4 update.
    Apparently there is a fix for this issue in the works. I read somewhere that it will be addressed in the 1.4.1 update coming soon.

Edit: haha I actually read that in this thread lol hopefully it's true.
    I've been having audio issues for months, during phone calls, where neither I nor the person on the other end can hear anything. Usually, sliding the phone open fixes it, but not always. Sometimes I have to slide the phone half-way to get it to work. The tech at the sprint store cleaned some lint out of the ear piece, but wouldn't replace the phone.

Now with 1.4 is installed, I get the volume icon showing up intermittently, and it appears the volume is adjusting itself up and down as I slide the phone open and closed. Very strange.

That was enough to convince them. The local sprint store has ordered a replacement Pre for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeInMKE View Post
    I've been having audio issues for months, during phone calls, where neither I nor the person on the other end can hear anything. Usually, sliding the phone open fixes it, but not always. Sometimes I have to slide the phone half-way to get it to work. The tech at the sprint store cleaned some lint out of the ear piece, but wouldn't replace the phone.

Now with 1.4 is installed, I get the volume icon showing up intermittently, and it appears the volume is adjusting itself up and down as I slide the phone open and closed. Very strange.

That was enough to convince them. The local sprint store has ordered a replacement Pre for me.
    EXACT same situation for me as well you mention before 1.4 but 1.4 has put it over the edge. May be time for a replacement..
    after i doctored my phone it is now the same icon.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmquinn View Post
    I got mine replaced at the sprint store today (because of this bug, and an ear-speaker that kept cutting out, which I think are related). The pre I just gave up was an opening day phone (camped out at a BestBuy). Hasn't happened on the new one yet, and I updated it to 1.4.
    this better be true.
    I took mine into the sprint store today and they are replacing it. I had an original launch day phone so hopefully the new hardware doesn't have the same issues. My belief is that with the slider mechanism, all the connections at the top of the phone are starting to get loose and have strange responses. I believe it started at my power button as I could just squeeze the top of my phone and cause the phone to power on. Didn't have to slide or touch the power button to do so. Kind of a problem as I keep it in my pocket and it's probably turning the screen on all the time during the day. For this, I think the solder connections on the headphone jacks are starting to go flaky and because it's a smart jack, we are truly seeing it with the software update, whereas before, it was an annoyance where the jack or speaker would cut out and you weren't really sure why.

First gen hardware can be a problem. Hopefully the next gen WebOS devices will have a lot of these issues worked out. Thank god for a 1 year warranty.
    Ok, report so far:
    After getting my replacement phone, without loading any patches/homebrew/anything, I updated to 1.4. I ran that way for a day and a half, never saw the issue while doing anything I can think of trying to replicate (sliding open quickly, pressing the corners, using headphones, etc.). I then installed preware and some patches. Still haven't been able to reproduce the issue. This phone is definitely a newer build, feels more sturdy, slides easier.
    I've also noticed an improvement when using my headphones (which leads me to believe that was the issue). On my old phone, I'd put the headphones in the jack, stick it in my pocket, and the slightest bump would cause the right ear to crackle, or sometimes both to cut out. Using the same headphones this morning, I (gently) wiggled the headphones around and never had the same problem.

I'll keep using the phone like I normally would, and I'll report back if I have any more trouble.

On a related note: My friend, who got his Pre from a Sprint store 2 weeks after it came out, upgraded to 1.4, has patches, and has not had this issue.
    To the OP: Do you want to put some type of poll up there, so we can whittle down what the problem is? I'm thinking a multi-select with the following options:
    For those that _HAVE_ the problem:
    - I have an early/original-build Pre
    - I use homebrew
    - I have had (I suspect related) hardware issues (Headphone jack problem?)
    - I have had (probably unrelated) hardware issues (Oreo effect?)

Anything else? This might be moot, if palm support is investigating and has logs. On the other hand, it could be handy for other folks investigating their problem

(hooray for being able to read links in sigs!)
    Well, it sucks the situation all of us are in. I asked a palm rep if he could confirm or deny if this 1.4.1 to fix this issue is indeed real or not and he said due to NDA he could not give out any info on this. You'd think Palm would rather tell us to hang tight and they'll fix the issue rather than us all go in and exchange our Pre's for another one fully knowing that 6 pages worth of us only have this problem since 1.4 arrived. I sometimes wonder about some things...
    For those of you who purchased an opening day Pre at Best Buy, did you have any problems having your Pre replaced at a Sprint store?

I don't have insurance on my Pre, have no cosmetic damage and previously tried to have it replaced because of the bad camera bug. Sprint folks told me to call Palm support, they said they would only swap it out in store if I had insurance.

Now with this crazy volume bug, it makes the Pre nearly unbearable at times.

Are the people at my Sprint Store feeding BS or should they be able to swap it out without me having to call Palm and have mine shipped back?
    Quote Originally Posted by Talon402 View Post
    For those of you who purchased an opening day Pre at Best Buy, did you have any problems having your Pre replaced at a Sprint store?

I don't have insurance on my Pre, have no cosmetic damage and previously tried to have it replaced because of the bad camera bug. Sprint folks told me to call Palm support, they said they would only swap it out in store if I had insurance.

Now with this crazy volume bug, it makes the Pre nearly unbearable at times.

Are the people at my Sprint Store feeding BS or should they be able to swap it out without me having to call Palm and have mine shipped back?
    I don't have insurance either. I'm going to ask my boyfriend about this today. he works at radioshack where hebought my phone. I really like the overall condition of my phone. I wish I could fix this one problem. I worry that if I get a refurb it will have more problems.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I am convinced that this issue is showing itself due to how 1.4 changes how it handles switching from headset to phone speaker mode. It now shows the volume indicator when switching from headset mode to phone mode and vice versa, and it previously did not do that before (it would show the indicator when switching to a bluetooth headset though). The reason everyone is now seeing the volume indicator pop up all the time is related to the flaky headphone jack in the Pre to begin with.. So basically, its a problem y'all have been having -- but just weren't receiving visual confirmation of it in action like it does in 1.4. I've had 5 phones replaced so far due to the headphone jack eventually crapping out completely.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNY View Post
    I am convinced that this issue is showing itself due to how 1.4 changes how it handles switching from headset to phone speaker mode. It now shows the volume indicator when switching from headset mode to phone mode and vice versa, and it previously did not do that before (it would show the indicator when switching to a bluetooth headset though). The reason everyone is now seeing the volume indicator pop up all the time is related to the flaky headphone jack in the Pre to begin with.. So basically, its a problem y'all have been having -- but just weren't receiving visual confirmation of it in action like it does in 1.4. I've had 5 phones replaced so far due to the headphone jack eventually crapping out completely.
    Agreed. I also have a bad feeling that any software "fix" for this issue is going to be like an auto repair shop "fixing" your "Check Engine" light, by just removing the bulb. :/
    I bet the only way to fix this issue is to replace the phone but I bet palm diesnt want to be replacing many phone for free do they'll probably remove the code in the next update...hu knows
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    If you search for 'The Ghastly Headset' on here, someone made an app that lets you monitor/force the status of the speaker/headset jack.. Prior to 1.4, if I ran that app, the app would show the same behavior as I am seeing with the volume indicator (Media mode bounces between 'Headset with speaker' and 'Speaker/Front Speaker'
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    I bet the only way to fix this issue is to replace the phone but I bet palm diesnt want to be replacing many phone for free do they'll probably remove the code in the next update...hu knows
    It doesnt matter if they remove the code or not -- the underlying problem is still there -- that the headset jack is not properly monitoring the status of itself. Actually I am glad that they added the code -- because now when I unplug my AUX cord going to the jack when I am in the car, I can visually verify that the phone went BACK to speaker mode and didnt stay stuck in headset mode. I cant tell you how many times Ive gone to answer the phone to hear nothing but dead air because the phone thought a headset was still plugged in.
    Preware/Patches: None of any kind ever
    Purchase Date: June (Sprint)
    Touchstone: Exclusively

I'm an original hardware owner and this started immediately with 1.4. The post about the headphone mode is what it seems like for me. This is noticable in calls as well. This type of bug cannot be happening - maybe if I were a beta user, but I'm a production user.

Presure definitely seems to be a part of this as well.

Are there any fixes for this that anyone has for this yet?