Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sveilien View Post
    I can in three different instances:

1) made a call and it was stuck in headset mode

2) Recorded some video and the audio was completely blank

3) tried to play music with music player and there was no audio though the sound was up and the track was counting through.

I've literally have slammed and hit my phone to make it not be in headset mode, and oddly enough, it works.
    haha yeah all I seem to have to do is blow really hard into the hole (no pun intended) or just plug something in and remove it quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSB View Post
    Is there a visual way that I could tell if it's in headset mode or not? I'd like to see if this is the culprit.
    Not really visual but if you try and call your voicemail and put your ear up to the earpiece and if no sound then your in headset mode. I think while in a call your options of where to send the audio change to but I can't remember that.
    After webosDoctor 1,4 it worked the whole day, then tonight I installed preware and drpodder, only drpodder and listened to a podcast before practice, after practice the bug appeared again. I will doctor it tonight, put preware on and see if it makes it through the day. In case you really need to make a phone call, you can always use the speakerphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by bkos_pre View Post
    After webosDoctor 1,4 it worked the whole day, then tonight I installed preware and drpodder, only drpodder and listened to a podcast before practice, after practice the bug appeared again. I will doctor it tonight, put preware on and see if it makes it through the day. In case you really need to make a phone call, you can always use the speakerphone.
    It sounds like you were probably using headphones. This backs up other theories. I wouldn't waste your energy doctoring your phone. See if you get the same result with taking the battery out or plugging in and unplugging headphones.
    For what it is worth...

I have the same annoying random music note volume bug thing. It happens all the time....when i slide the phone open...when i wake the phone up...when i use an app...with the phone in the closed position.

Also...THE PHONE DOES IT ON ITS OWN! Like when it is just sitting there...on the desk...without anything touching it...it will wake up and go nuts with the music volume.

And for the record:

1. The phone is stock...no mods...no patches.
    2. I have never once used a headset with this phone...never.
    3. The behavior started immediatly after updating to 1.4...the phone had NEVER displayed this behavior prior to that moment.

Dunno what to think...other than that it is extremely annoying and makes the pre almost unusable at times.
    Having the same issue:
    Since 1.4
    I have a touchstone
    I don't use the headphone jack
    No preware.

It happens almost randomly. When launching apps, when sliding the phone open, when pressing the power button to wake the device.

And, it's not consistent. Doesn't happen all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonC71 View Post
    For what it is worth...

I have the same annoying random music note volume bug thing. It happens all the time....when i slide the phone open...when i wake the phone up...when i use an app...with the phone in the closed position.

Also...THE PHONE DOES IT ON ITS OWN! Like when it is just sitting there...on the desk...without anything touching it...it will wake up and go nuts with the music volume.

And for the record:

1. The phone is stock...no mods...no patches.
    2. I have never once used a headset with this phone...never.
    3. The behavior started immediatly after updating to 1.4...the phone had NEVER displayed this behavior prior to that moment.

Dunno what to think...other than that it is extremely annoying and makes the pre almost unusable at times.
    same here... stock Pre... and the volume levels go crazy. The worst part is the earpiece speaker volume cutting off intermittently during phone calls. I need a fix for this.... FAST! Going out of town for a business trip on Saturday!
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Me and my girlfriend have it, I use my headset regularly, shes never used hers but we are both getting the issue.

Ive also noticed the volume bar appear when either using a bluetooth audio device (I use 2 different ones) and also my headset. I believe this is a feature as it shows a different volume level to my non headset volume, which is how I had it set although I havent found it documented anywhere.

Regardless I agree with the people who think this is related to the bug
    Having this exact same issue. I too have a pre from launch day in 2009 and before 1.4, I had random issues with clicking noises and sometimes answering the phone and not hearing anything even though it was still connected but if I called back, it would work fine. The other night after installing 1.4, I once opened up launcher and went to scroll left or right pages and the volume thing came up and gesture left or right would only move the volume up or down rather than slide the launcher pages. Earlier today before a reboot, just opening the slider would instantly bring up the volume control. A bit ago, I got a call and could hear the user at first, then he faded out, then he'd come back in and then fade out. At first I thought he was in bad reception but after hanging up, saw the volume thing was up and going back and forth so it had been ruining my call! Very Frustrating! Maybe getting a new Pre at sprint store will solve it like it sounds for some of the newer pre owners mentioned but what a pain! They have to order a reconditioned one, takes 3-5 days to arrive, and they do not guarantee it'll have a scratch free screen even though mine I'd be trading in does.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    yes. i think this is a 1.4 bug. before the update very rarely would i have a volume icon appear "randomly." i'm pretty sure that if it did it was induced by something i did.. or may have just appeared late due to lag. i doctored my phone today, not knowing of this issue. then i looked at the forums, saw this thread and decided to see if i was having this issue. i opened the stock music app.. all was fine when playing music.. then when i plugged in headphones and unplugged them this began to happen. the speaker icon with volume levels would appear half full the go all the way full.. then back to halfway.. then back full.. it didn't stop until i closed all apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by sveilien View Post
    I think its a combination of the 1.4 update and hardware cuz Saturday is when the forums blew up with posts about this.
    I believe the change in 1.4 is just to pop up the volume icon whenever the audio "path" changes (which is actually a nice touch). I'm noticing it whenever my Bluetooth connects ... but mine isn't a problem because it just goes away after a couple of seconds.

It's sounding more like the folks who are having a real issue with it may have some funky headphone jacks, and WebOS may be ultra-sensitive to any "changes" (real or not) in the status of that jack.
    If you are seeing the volume icon randomly whenever you are not wanting it to be there, please send me a private message, would like to capture some log files from some devices experiencing this issue.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    I'm pretty convinced it's a bad headset jack with new code from 1.4. I recently started having issues where the phone thought it was still connected to a headset and wouldn't reset until I put a plug in and took it out. I think the headset jacks go bad or have flaky connections and with the new 1.4 code showing the volume change, anytime the pressure is applied around the headset jack (i.e. sliding the phone open), the hardware issues shows itself as showing the volume changing. I think it's time for a replacement.

This happened right after I doctored the phone with no preware or patches as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by moeman_49 View Post
    I'm pretty convinced it's a bad headset jack with new code from 1.4. I recently started having issues where the phone thought it was still connected to a headset and wouldn't reset until I put a plug in and took it out. I think the headset jacks go bad or have flaky connections and with the new 1.4 code showing the volume change, anytime the pressure is applied around the headset jack (i.e. sliding the phone open), the hardware issues shows itself as showing the volume changing. I think it's time for a replacement.

This happened right after I doctored the phone with no preware or patches as well.
    I really think your right. Just did a few tests and every single time I put my finger over the headphone jack and even remotely apply any pressure, volume control instantly pops up and its even making a few popping sounds through the speaker.
    Quote Originally Posted by moeman_49 View Post

I also think you're right....lets see how this pans out...i already sent palm a log file so lets see what happens
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Today I went to a Sprint Repair and Service center to have my Pre replaced because of the Oreo effect. The Service Repair tech advised that there is a note in their system about another update to fix the volume bug. He said it'll be called 1.4.1. He had the WebOS Doctor for it too but didn't want to make my phone the test dummy.
    I got mine replaced at the sprint store today (because of this bug, and an ear-speaker that kept cutting out, which I think are related). The pre I just gave up was an opening day phone (camped out at a BestBuy). Hasn't happened on the new one yet, and I updated it to 1.4.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I have never installed any patches, preware, etc. I have a stock pre from around October on sprint and have only installed app store apps.

I do not use the touchstone.

Immediately after installing 1.4 and since i have had this volume issue. The volume icon appears randomly and keeps bouncing back from full to half from full to half bars. This problem is replicated even if i put the vibrate switch on and put the phone in vibrate mode. This is really annoying. any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by johndoeii View Post
    I have never installed any patches, preware, etc. I have a stock pre from around October on sprint and have only installed app store apps.

I do not use the touchstone.

Immediately after installing 1.4 and since i have had this volume issue. The volume icon appears randomly and keeps bouncing back from full to half from full to half bars. This problem is replicated even if i put the vibrate switch on and put the phone in vibrate mode. This is really annoying. any suggestions?
    just wait for a fix
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

This is still happening to me also. I tried switching from the touchstone back to the original back (I read that this worked for some) but it still happens. I haven't used my headset in about a week and not once since the update. This happens randomly and also seems to go crazy when there is pressure on the phone from the front or from the back. Then sometimes it doesn't happen at all. I also am unable to minimize or close an app if it's on the screen when an app is open until the volume bar finally goes away. It's becoming a hindrance to doing things on the phone. This update is the first time I've had anything buggy happen to me since I've had this phone, from July of last year. It's also a stock phone with no patches.

I'll wait for a fix and meanwhile keep my eyes on this forum for information.
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast