Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    alright...i just ran EPR and not installing patches to see if its an actual patch doing this..so far the volume icon hasn't come up...one other thing is, my gf has the pre but has no ts back and she says she hasn't run into this problem. I'll keep on testing without patches.
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

no touchstone back+no patches ever=this problem still.
    No touchstone back for me either! I will install preware, will see if that messes up the phone again. Right now the 1,4 webos doctor has done a great job... kow
    Just FWIW, I noticed that I get the volume icon whenever I get in my car and the Pre connects to my Bluetooth. Not a problem, but I don't remember that happening before.

So it appears to me that 1.4 did add some code that makes the volume icon appear when a change in audio path (headset, BT, speaker) occurs. Just wondering if the extreme cases reported here have something to do with faulty headphone jacks? I know there's been a lot of reports of funky headphone jacks, and maybe the new code just makes the problem a little more visible on some phones? Does plugging/unplugging a headphone have any effect?
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    Just FWIW, I noticed that I get the volume icon whenever I get in my car and the Pre connects to my Bluetooth. Not a problem, but I don't remember that happening before.

So it appears to me that 1.4 did add some code that makes the volume icon appear when a change in audio path (headset, BT, speaker) occurs. Just wondering if the extreme cases reported here have something to do with faulty headphone jacks? I know there's been a lot of reports of funky headphone jacks, and maybe the new code just makes the problem a little more visible on some phones? Does plugging/unplugging a headphone have any effect?
    You know when I was having the issue my earpeice was giving me trouble. I also noticed this morning when I plugged in my headphone jack so I could listen to my podcasts that the volume bar does come up now. I hope that's all it is because I want to install preware again but am afraid that is whats causing it.
    I noticed this back a few days ago right after the update.. posted about it via "Music Notes Volume selector?" thread.. it's very very annoying and prevents me from opening?/closing apps when the icon is up...

Same problem.. no touchstone anything on my phone. Just stock from original release...

And regarding the software now exposing a hardware issue - I'm totally on the same page with that...

Just for giggles, can anyone with this problem please post when they got their pre? It might be a hardware build date, possibly...
    I'm still on my original from launch day. Though I'm now thinking less that preware it at fault. My buddy has it installed and working okay on 1.4. His pre is very new, purchased within the last month and no problem. I'm thinking now that it is relatable to the change of when the volume bar is set to show when the headphone jack is used.
    No touchstone back on mine also. Mine will turn on the screen from sleep mode now and then popping up the volume bars, so it does not have to do with touching it, putting pressure on a part of the phone or a specific app running. I think I remember my phone starting to do it a few times over the past week, but didn't think much of it then, now that I have 1.4 it happens many times more often.
    Two phones, no preware, both have touchstone backs and only one has the problem.

Mine, which is from launch week, has the problem.

My GF whose had her's replaced multiple times does not.

Mine matches the posted youtube video almost exactly. It did not do this before 1.4. I would believe it is a hardware problem that has new symptoms under the new OS. Before the update my phone would often make system sounds and light up when nothing new came in. For a while I thought the pre used the accelerometer to determine you picked up the phone to light the screen (but my GF's never did this). Now I'm thinking its a different symptom of this hardware bug.
    ANOTHER UPDATE

I was volume Icon free for nearly 24 hours, then just a few minutes ago when I opened "Let's Golf" it popped up again, and did it a lot. Dang! I slammed my Pre on my desk then it stopped! What the heck?!

PS i come from my father's method of "kick it til it works" lol
    Always pimpin' PunnyShirts.com
  11. msb
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jack.shiot View Post
    Just for giggles, can anyone with this problem please post when they got their pre? It might be a hardware build date, possibly...
    Launch day phone.
  12. msb
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Yea, this isn't Preware or patch related... there are thousands of folks with Preware and patches, so I think we'd be hearing a lot more about this.

I'm definitely convinced it's hardware related and from what I'm hearing it may very well be associated with the headset. I use the headset jack a lot... basically every day I plug my phone into my car stereo. And I believe I've been stuck in "headset mode" a bunch of times... this is the symptom for me: Call comes in while playing music to my stereo. When I answer the phone, I can hear the caller through the car speakers, but they cannot hear me. However, other times, I can answer the phone in the same scenario and the caller can hear me.

I also don't think it's Touchstone related, because I've taken the back off and played with the phone and can reproduce it. I think there is something a little "loose" within the phone and it's causing the headset mode to come on and off rapidly, which would cause the volume icon to appear/disappear rapidly.

Is there a visual way that I could tell if it's in headset mode or not? I'd like to see if this is the culprit.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSB View Post
    I'm definitely convinced it's hardware related and from what I'm hearing it may very well be associated with the headset.
    I think its a combination of the 1.4 update and hardware cuz Saturday is when the forums blew up with posts about this.
    I am having the volume bug as well. I have had my Pre since June of last year, and often have the "stuck in headset" problem. I can usually avoid the headset issue by pulling my headphones out and making sure that whatever music app I was using pauses (thus detecting that the headphones were removed). Usually when I got the headset issue it was because I closed out the music app and then pulled the phones out. About a week ago I had my first issue with the headset without having used headphones at all. As soon as I updated to 1.4, I started to get the volume fluctuation bug. It occurs fairly often, but seems to be worse when I have the keyboard out. I have preware installed, with only a few patches. I also have the touchstone back installed, but I will try it with the stock one once I find it.
    I definately think it is right along with the phone being stuck in headset mode. I think 1.4 changed the way the audio bar comes up. I.e. when the headset jack is used. So the people that are prone to the headset jack getting stuck are now seeing a visual display in result of the problem. I just plugged my headset in and out really quick and I haven't seen the issue since.

Has anyone noticed that while the volume bar displays they can't use their earpeice to hear phone calls?
    I too am experiencing this problem...

Something is different in 1.4... I never had the volume bar come up when opening closing the phone before. It happens if I slide the phone open, or if I'm in messenger typing a message... And, it's not consistent.... i.e. it doesn't always happen.

Seems to me, there is some sort of short, or electrical contact issue going on as it seems to only happen when I physically touch the phone or the keyboard. I should note, when the volume bar comes up across the screen, if I touch the volume keys, the mute speaker icon comes up (I keep my phone in vibrate mode 95% of the time).

I updated today to 1.4, and it has been doing it ever since the update.

I too have the Touchstone back on my phone.

My phone is one of the earlier phones (got it about a month after launch date after having issues with two other oreo cookie phones).
    Add me as well. The music volume display keeps popping up randomly and umpredictably. When it does, I can not use the phone as the call is dropped or the party I am talking to can't hear me, I can't hear them, or both. Resetting the phone doesn't take care of the problem. Removong all my homebrew apps/patches didn't help either. I took the phone to my nearby Sprint store and they act as if they have no idea what's wrong with it, yet somehow it's my fault. It seems to somehow be related to the webOS 1.4 update as it was never a problem before. Running webOS doctor didn't solve the problem either. Any suggestions? HELP!!!! This is a MAJOR BUG!!! Palm had better fix this one fast. I depend on my phone to respond to calls from patients (I am a physician). I can tolerate other less critical bugs, but not this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by kslmd View Post
    Add me as well. The music volume display keeps popping up randomly and umpredictably. When it does, I can not use the phone as the call is dropped or the party I am talking to can't hear me, I can't hear them, or both. Resetting the phone doesn't take care of the problem. Removong all my homebrew apps/patches didn't help either. I took the phone to my nearby Sprint store and they act as if they have no idea what's wrong with it, yet somehow it's my fault. It seems to somehow be related to the webOS 1.4 update as it was never a problem before. Running webOS doctor didn't solve the problem either. Any suggestions? HELP!!!! This is a MAJOR BUG!!! Palm had better fix this one fast. I depend on my phone to respond to calls from patients (I am a physician). I can tolerate other less critical bugs, but not this one.
    I think this is it. Mine did the same thing. I am quite confident that the issue of being stuck in headset mode and this volume issue are the same issue.

I fixed mine so far by just plugging a headset into the jack and removing it. So far 48 hours later no issue.
    Yeah, this one needs to be fixed soon. Yesterday...I was on a call, put it into speakerphone, then the volume bug began and it put my call out of speakerphone. Went back and forth like this until I gave up on speakerphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    Has anyone noticed that while the volume bar displays they can't use their earpeice to hear phone calls?
    I can in three different instances:

1) made a call and it was stuck in headset mode

2) Recorded some video and the audio was completely blank

3) tried to play music with music player and there was no audio though the sound was up and the track was counting through.

I've literally have slammed and hit my phone to make it not be in headset mode, and oddly enough, it works.
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast