Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 712131415161718 LastLast
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    WebOS 1.4.1. addresses this issue. Updating to this version should resolve the problem. Please report back if 1.4.1. does not resolve the issue for you.

This sounds like the equivalent of carmakers replacing accurate gauges with 'dummy gauges'. For those not familiar with the concept, cars with gauges used to accurately reflect real-time conditions of what the gauge was monitoring. Due to tons of people complaining to their mechanic or dealership because they would see their coolant temperature rising when they were stuck in traffic or their oil pressure gauge dropping when they would come to a stop, they made the gauges so that they only move when there is an extreme change in what its monitoring.

I suspect this change in 1.4.1 adds some sort of timer mechanism after the phone detects the change before it will display the icon.. So if the jack is intermittently failing, you'll no longer see that displayed all the time.

Doesn't really fix the problem with the jack though. Just cuts down on the people saying 'the software is messed up, its a bug!'
    Well the patch has seemed to have worked on my 2 phones. No icon anymore!!
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNY View Post
    I suspect this change in 1.4.1 adds some sort of timer mechanism after the phone detects the change before it will display the icon.. So if the jack is intermittently failing, you'll no longer see that displayed all the time.

Doesn't really fix the problem with the jack though. Just cuts down on the people saying 'the software is messed up, its a bug!'
    Unfortunately, it looks to me that they just removed the feature ... I don't get the volume icon any more when connecting to Bluetooth. Too bad ... I kinda' liked it
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    WebOS 1.4.1. addresses this issue. Updating to this version should resolve the problem. Please report back if 1.4.1. does not resolve the issue for you.
    1.41 has NOT resolved this issue for me.
    This seems to have resolved the issue for me, thankfully. I didn't want to replace the phone, I still have the Pre I bought last July.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    I think I have a pretty bad case of this...at least it seems like it. I have no sound for videos, music or phone calls unless my earpiece is in (which I never use, so it is now very inconvenient). Also, my videos do not record sound. I have skimmed through the thread to see if anyone has the same issues and possible solutions. I've blown into the headphone jack... I've tried a qtip. No luck at all. Anyone else experience this?

Also, not related, but my phone won't turn on a couple times a day. It is like a lagged turn on. It doesn't need to reboot, but opening the slider and hitting the power button will not turn on the phone right away. It takes a couple tries and about 15 to 30 seconds.

Thanks for reading...
    Quote Originally Posted by organix View Post
    I think I have a pretty bad case of this...at least it seems like it. I have no sound for videos, music or phone calls unless my earpiece is in (which I never use, so it is now very inconvenient). Also, my videos do not record sound. I have skimmed through the thread to see if anyone has the same issues and possible solutions. I've blown into the headphone jack... I've tried a qtip. No luck at all. Anyone else experience this?

Also, not related, but my phone won't turn on a couple times a day. It is like a lagged turn on. It doesn't need to reboot, but opening the slider and hitting the power button will not turn on the phone right away. It takes a couple tries and about 15 to 30 seconds.

Thanks for reading...
    I am having your unrelated problem as well. It really bugs me. I sometimes think my phone has turned off.

but about the other problem, I used to experience this alot right after the 1.4 update. But not even aweek later I somehow got it to stop. I've only seen it maybe 2 or 3 times since. And only for one second each time. I don't use my headphones anymore just in case I make it come back.
    Well, since 1.4.1.1, I'm having the problem that the volume won't change when the phone is locked unless a music app is running. Which is fine except...now I can't increase or decrease the ringer volume without unlocking the phone. Is this how they "fixed" the volume issue?
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ben_haystacks View Post
    1.41 has NOT resolved this issue for me.
    Do you have the 800 MHz patch installed? I'm on 1.4.1.1 w/ 800 MHz and still have the volume icon issue.
    Well,

Before 1.4.1 came out, my Pre went nuts with the volume issue. I won't call it a bug, because I agree it's a combo of hardware and software. Hard=failure, soft=making it visual.

I finally took my Pre into a Sprint store with a tech, and they went through what was wrong and I explained. I doctored my phone and it didn't fix the issue and this was prior to knowing about the potential contact cleaning issue. They took off the back of the phone and saw my little paper shim on the battery and said, "Ohh, you have one of those. We've seen this alot, let's order you a new phone." It came in in a day and I had it replaced just as fast.

No problems now with the new/refurb unit and I got a perfect looking Pre making up for the scratched screen and missing usb cover i lost.

I'll give Palm/Sprint points for standing up and replacing my Pre without any hassle. this was in Wyoming, Michigan.

Just thought I would share after lurking for some 9 months on these forums.
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PresPD View Post
    Well,

Before 1.4.1 came out, my Pre went nuts with the volume issue. I won't call it a bug, because I agree it's a combo of hardware and software. Hard=failure, soft=making it visual.

I finally took my Pre into a Sprint store with a tech, and they went through what was wrong and I explained. I doctored my phone and it didn't fix the issue and this was prior to knowing about the potential contact cleaning issue. They took off the back of the phone and saw my little paper shim on the battery and said, "Ohh, you have one of those. We've seen this alot, let's order you a new phone." It came in in a day and I had it replaced just as fast.

No problems now with the new/refurb unit and I got a perfect looking Pre making up for the scratched screen and missing usb cover i lost.

I'll give Palm/Sprint points for standing up and replacing my Pre without any hassle. this was in Wyoming, Michigan.

Just thought I would share after lurking for some 9 months on these forums.

Do you have TEP, or did they just replace it for free, no questions asked?
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spongamabob View Post
    I am having your unrelated problem as well. It really bugs me. I sometimes think my phone has turned off.

but about the other problem, I used to experience this alot right after the 1.4 update. But not even aweek later I somehow got it to stop. I've only seen it maybe 2 or 3 times since. And only for one second each time. I don't use my headphones anymore just in case I make it come back.
    I took mine in today and they said the replacement would be there tomorrow.
    What's happening with me now is my screen is waking up and I hear that ticking sound without the volume icon. This has been happening all morning. I updated the firmware as soon as I heard it was available, within a few hours.

Today is the first time that it's happening since the update. Sprint Pre from launch day. Anyone else?
    I started having this issue today randomly. I've searched different sites and got a bunch of different leads.

I tried luna restarting, rebooting, and even removing the battery. The issue remained.

Some people believe this issue has to do with the hardware. They believe its related to the head phone jack issue that we all no about. I tried cleaning the jack, but it didn't make the volume icon go away.

Other people believe that this issue is related to the volume rocker contacts. I removed the back cover and the volume rocker and cleaned the contacts as best i could. it didn't help at all.

Finally, i decided to go the sprint store. So i removed the 800 Mhz patch so that they won't tell me i voided my warranty. My phone restarted and when it came back on, the volume icon was gone. It appears to me that the 800 Mhz patch was causing this, but there it may just be a coincidence.

Does anyone without the over-clock patch have the volume rocker bug?

Update: the bug is back and ruining my life
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 04/10/2010 at 09:14 AM.
    Since the latest update this fixed it for me for awhile and the icon stopped popping up. Mine mostly popped up from pressure near the top earpiece area. As of yesterday it recently started becoming very sensitive to pressure and the screen just lights up like i tapped the power button. Only change I had made was a battery swap recently. Perhaps it agitated the earpiece area with a different pressure. Annoying but livable.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Just got the issue for the first time this morning...volume bars automatically go all the Way down and the icon just stays there....REALLY ANNOYING.
    Quote Originally Posted by jshamoon View Post
    Just got the issue for the first time this morning...volume bars automatically go all the Way down and the icon just stays there....REALLY ANNOYING.
    Mine started doing the same thing this weekend... restart the phone it goes away for about 5 minutes then the volume bar is back. I've had more problems with this phone then any other.
    it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was the 800mHz mod. Mine didn't start until I did that. I am going to doctor the phone and slowly add one thing after another with trial sessions in between it. This is my 2nd Pre with the same issue and both were overclocked.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    My Pre had the volume icon bug problem big time... to the point where it would go from full charge off the Touchstone at 8 am and die with 0% battery by 11am, all bc the screen was constantly waking up with the volume icon.

The firmware update took away the icon problem, but the hardware defect has only gotten worse. I hear the physical clicking sound frequently, sound in the ear-speaker cuts out during calls constantly (although keeping my finger over the headphone port seems to stop most of t his problem), and now I'm frequently getting no audio recording during videos.

Cleaning the headphone port with a QTip and alcohol fixes the problems for a day or so, then they return with a vengence.

This is ridiculous.... I'm thinking I'm going to exchange the phone (this one is my FOURTH Pre, although I went through the first three in the first week of owning it).

Can't wait for this contract to be up so I can ditch and switch. I love WebOS, but hate the build quality of this thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid AWD View Post
    it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was the 800mHz mod. Mine didn't start until I did that. I am going to doctor the phone and slowly add one thing after another with trial sessions in between it. This is my 2nd Pre with the same issue and both were overclocked.
    it has nothing to do with the kernel, its a hardware problem
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!