Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718 LastLast
    Someone just make a 'headphone jack disable' patch plz!

Palm obviously doesn't care about 1.4 bugs, and I'm about to throw this thing to the wall, get an android, and never look back!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazz View Post
    Someone just make a 'headphone jack disable' patch plz!

Palm obviously doesn't care about 1.4 bugs, and I'm about to throw this thing to the wall, get an android, and never look back!
    its a hardware defect not a bug....
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

What's so hard about just blowing into the headphone jack? If you keep it in your pocket for any length of time you are going to get lint and dust down in there. I didn't even use compressed air at the time - didn't have any nearby. Just blew into it myself. And did fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    but maybe someone can figure out how to disable that piece of hardware. Especially if you never useit anyway. It wouldn't be a big loss.
    Software has something to do with it. I have 2 phones that didn't do this before the 1.4 update. I agree an on/off switch/patch for the headphone jack would be nice. Phones are useless the way the are now...
    Quote Originally Posted by Beechnut View Post
    Alcohol on the Qtip worked for me.

Dry the socket out carefully with a different Qtip.

So far so good!
    The point of using alcohol is that it evaporates quickly and doesn't leave a residue. There's no reason to dry the socket out.

I'd wager that the "air in a can" would also work well.

The headphone jack has a spring-loaded mechanical switch which moves when headphones are inserted. A similar mechanism has been used for decades on all sorts of devices to shut off the main speakers when headphones are inserted. The small / modern one Palm uses apparently gets jammed in the "nearly contacting" position (probably because it has such a short distance to travel to begin with), so minor flexing of the case can create and break the contact. So all of these "miracle cures" work by just mechanically freeing the switch up.

Personally, I've had good luck by inserting and removing a regular headphone plug a couple of times. Other similar foreign objects being inserted - with or without cleaning products - likely will have a similar effect.

As with many things, though, that female connector is really only designed for one kind of male connector. Lots of other things might fit in the hole, but the likelihood of problems is indirectly proportional to the similarity of the foreign object to the intended connector. Ie, less-similar connectors are more likely to cause problems.
    I too had this problem and have fixed it to an extent by using a combination of alcohol, cotton buds and compressed air.

I've now got it to the point where the only thing that triggers it is gently squeezing the top half of the phone.

I know I could return it for repair under warranty but I don't really want to have to go through all of that right now. What I think could fix this problems for the majority of users affected by it is to change the code that triggers the change from headphones to phone speaker in such a way as to debounce the switch.

So basically the headphones mode should only be enabled if the headphones switch is triggered constantly for say 1 second, and disabled as soon as the switch is released (I've never had a problem with it cutting out when actually using headphones).

Maybe Palm could implement this in a future update (feel free to pass this on to Palm if you have a contact for them, I'll try and find an email address and send it to them myself later) or maybe a patch (pretty please :-) pay-day was last week for me so donations would be forthcoming).

Thoughts anyone?
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    This problem just hit my phone this weekend! I was good for a while after the 1.4 update but now this Volume bug is getting annoying!
    Blowing into the phonejack hole works and cleaning it with a Qtip.
    Now it is starting to happen to me when I am on a phone call, the volume drops out.
    Palm needs to address this issue.
    Definitely a patch is needed!
    Last edited by ssmokybear; 03/29/2010 at 12:22 PM.
    no patch needed...its a hardware issue...get urself a refurb like i did almost a month ago and havent seen the problem since
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

I agree that this is a hardware issue, but certainly induced by a SW change. Nobody, and I mean nobody, was complaining about this pre-1.4 Something in the code changed to exasperate the problem.
    I thought I was all alone in the world with this bug. Now I found this Outreach Group for disillusioned Pre owners. I got the 1.4 update and everything was fine. Then I got the 'Volume Button' bug. Open a card and the icon appeared and the volume bars slowly descended as did the volume. The volume icon would then stay on, thus preventing me from accessing other programmes with put having to drag the entire bar upwards.

I then removed the battery (nothing) Doctored the 'phone TWICE nothing and then Doctored it one more time - success!! It was like new again !!But low and behold, twenty four hours later, I picked up the 'phone and the icon re-appeared and the volume slowly vanished.. The phone is currently off now. But Palm have to address this soon as it's putting people off buying this product now that they have more than just the Iphone to compete with
    no patch needed...its a hardware issue...get urself a refurb like i did almost a month ago and havent seen the problem since
    I did TWICE with 2 different phone. no problem with 4 replacements UNTIL 1.4 was added. Its software my friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmokybear View Post
    I did TWICE with 2 different phone. no problem with 4 replacements UNTIL 1.4 was added. Its software my friend.
    yes "my friend" 1.4 added the ability to show the volume icon when a headset was connected...for people that have a defective headset jack like I did with my launch day pre it would go crazy after 1.4...now with my refurb I got for free it doesn't come up..only when I connect a headset on it...so the 1.4 added the feature but for people that have defective headset jacks are going to experience this popping up randomly without you touching the phone...so my friend its a hardware defect
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

I fully agree that it's a hardware problem made more obvious by the changes in 1.4.

I would like nothing more than to get a refurb or a new one but I really don't want to have to manage without it for the week or two it will take if I have to send it to Palm and wait for them to check it and send me a replacement. Does the replacement work like that in the UK?

Tomorrow I'll try and convince my local O2 store to either give me a new one there and then in the shop or to order a refurb in to the store so I can do a straight swap with minimal downtime. I've read a few horror stories about repairs in the UK, I'll report on how well this approach works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dushku2309 View Post
    I then removed the battery (nothing) Doctored the 'phone TWICE nothing and then Doctored it one more time - success!! It was like new again !!But low and behold, twenty four hours later, I picked up the 'phone and the icon re-appeared and the volume slowly vanished.. The phone is currently off now. But Palm have to address this soon as it's putting people off buying this product now that they have more than just the Iphone to compete with
    The majority consensus in this thread is that no amount of doctoring, re-loading or re-booting will fix this. The most likely culprit is a flaky headphone jack. You can try blowing some air into it, or inserting something to try and clear it ... but most likely you will need a new phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmokybear View Post
    Software has something to do with it. I have 2 phones that didn't do this before the 1.4 update. I agree an on/off switch/patch for the headphone jack would be nice. Phones are useless the way the are now...
    +1 I've got two Pre phones both are exhibiting the volume level spastics after unlocking and/or pressing the center button below the gesture area. All this after 1.4. Still, I will read through this post and try out some of the ideas.
    ok this just happened now...and it happened when I put my phone on the ts with the slider closed...i then picked it up pressed a bit on the to left side where the volume icons are and it went crazy....and it only happens when I have the phone with the slider closed
    +1 on the slider closed bit. It seems that only when my slider is closed do I get this problem.
    WebOS 1.4.1. addresses this issue. Updating to this version should resolve the problem. Please report back if 1.4.1. does not resolve the issue for you.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    thank god!!!