Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718 LastLast
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Could this be a static buildup problem caused by the Touchstone?
    IF YOU TAKE YOUR PHONE IN FOR "REPAIR" PLEASE ASK WHAT DID THEY DO EXACTLY!!!

It's only one qestion
    Well, I don't know how many people wanna try this. But when I was sticking the paperclip in there to see if I could make it go off, it hasn't gone off once since. This might not fix the problem for someones who has a much more serious problem, but for others that were just having the very annoying issue you can try just cleaning it out kinda thing. Worked for me so I don't know who all wants to try it. And for the "is this a problem caused by touchstone?" thing, it can't be because I don't have touchstone and yet still had the problem. Good luck to fixing the extremely annoying issue.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I've got the same issue since 1.4 and its driving me crazy. Sometimes it happens when I'm on a call and the person on the other side tells me I'm breaking up. Also whenever I close the slider the volume icon will pop up and go up and down on its own. Lame.
    hopefuly the update that's coming soon will fix this problem.
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    My phone is doing this as well. BIG PROBLEM. Now the icon comes up, I pusch power button on top and it goes away, then it comes back again. So much so, that it makes my backlight come back on time and time again- which significantly drains my battery. Today my phone died just before 3pm. NOT COOL.
    I took my phone in to a Sprint store today and they were able to fix it!

Apparently all they did was to clean out the headphone jack. The sales associate said he had seen this problem with Palm phones before the Pre. I suspect there is crud getting down there that is triggering the headphone detection sensor.

Also, a warning: I have Preware installed and I was told that I should webOS doctor before going in next time. They consider Preware an unauthorized modification to the phone and they would flag it in the system and not do any repairs.
    Quote Originally Posted by aethomps View Post
    Apparently all they did was to clean out the headphone jack. The sales associate said he had seen this problem with Palm phones before the Pre. I suspect there is crud getting down there that is triggering the headphone detection sensor.
    Based on my troubleshooting and trying to figure out the logical pattern as to why it is happening (mine started last night), this seems to make the most sense. I just responded to another thread that it seemed like the phone was reading that the headphones were being constantly jacked in and out.

Will get some compressed air and blow it out and see if that helps. But since I have just blown into his with my own breath a couple of times, the volume icon has not shown up with opening the slider or anything. Looks promising.
    I can confirm that cleaning out the head phone jack does seem to make a difference.

I was having a severe problem and ever since I did, I have had NO ISSUES!

Ill update in a few days to see if thats still the case.
    A few other people have mentioned cleaning the headphone jack. I tried it last night and I haven't had any problems with the volume indicator twitching since then. I thought I'd post the method I used in case anyone else wants to try it. I doubt this would damage your phone, but obviously you would be at your own risk.

1. Power down your phone and remove the battery. No idea if this is strictly necessary, but it seems like a good idea.

2. Cut most of the head off of a q-tip. Leave some cotton, but take enough off so that what remains is thin enough to fit in the jack.

3. Wet the q-tip with denatured alcohol. Squeeze out the excess moisture, leaving the q-tip damp, but not soaking wet.

4. Push the q-tip (carefully) into the jack and spin it around. Mine came out filthy. Repeat as necessary, but I would try not to get too much moisture in the jack. My second q-tip came out pretty clean so I quit there.

5. Wait for everything to dry out. Denatured alcohol evaporates pretty quickly, so I only waited about 20 min, but the longer the better.

6. Replace the battery, power on your phone, and hope that it worked.

A while back I had my phone stuck in headphone mode and when I took it to the Sprint store, this is what they did to fix it, except that they put the denatured alcohol onto a 3.5mm headphone plug (with the cord cut off--they told me they keep one like that just for this purpose) instead of a q-tip.

Before cleaing, I could push lightly on the front of my Pre near the top by the headphone jack and the volume indicator would go crazy (a real pain if I accidentally pressed it too hard against my face while talking to someone). After cleaning, I can still get it to jump around a bit, but I have to push a lot harder and sometimes I can't duplicate the issue at all (not that I'm complaining!). The important thing is that it never happens with normal use anymore so it doesn't cause me any problems.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Alcohol on the Qtip worked for me.

Dry the socket out carefully with a different Qtip.

So far so good!
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    The Q tip solution seems to be working.
    I just went in for repair they could fix the issue. They ordered my a replacement phone works fine with 1.4 no more issue.
    This music volume bug is affecting my conversations. I use a bluetooth headset, and for every time that thing freaks out on me, my bluetooth disconnects.

I also listen to my music using my stereo bluetooth headset. When that icon pops up, it totally turns my music off.
    Quote Originally Posted by callmeroger View Post
    This music volume bug is affecting my conversations. I use a bluetooth headset, and for every time that thing freaks out on me, my bluetooth disconnects.

I also listen to my music using my stereo bluetooth headset. When that icon pops up, it totally turns my music off.
    its a hardware defect....get urself a refurb
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    ya pretty annoying trying to talk on bt with this bug. This phone is brand new not gonna take it back for a 6th refurb. I'll just wait it out and try the / tio thing but it started the first day I got it after installing the update so doubt there was any dirt in there to begin with...
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Well the Q tip failed me. I'll try the phone replacement solution next.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Yep. Qtip worked for 3 hours. Then back to the same old problem.

I'll keep this phone and just count the days until I can dump my Pre. I've put up with little stuff like this for the past 9 months.... I'm sick of it. I've decided that if Palm goes away it will be no great loss.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    After 1.4, I started getting the volume icon bug every once in awhile. Now, it's happening constantly and is probably definitely responsible for my terrible battery life (phone usually needs to be charged by noon). I can just let the phone sit on a table and watch as the screen turns on and off with the volume icon. If it's in my pocket or hand, the problem gets about 100x worse. When I'm on a call, it's constantly popping up and I hear this really annoying clicking sound. I'm getting to the point where I really hate Palm. 1.4 caused SO MANY problems. ugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by slope72 View Post
    After 1.4, I started getting the volume icon bug every once in awhile. Now, it's happening constantly and is probably definitely responsible for my terrible battery life (phone usually needs to be charged by noon). I can just let the phone sit on a table and watch as the screen turns on and off with the volume icon. If it's in my pocket or hand, the problem gets about 100x worse. When I'm on a call, it's constantly popping up and I hear this really annoying clicking sound. I'm getting to the point where I really hate Palm. 1.4 caused SO MANY problems. ugh.

Have you not tried blowing out the headphone jack? After spending time trying to figure out the pattern of behavior, it always just seemed to me the phone was acting like the headphone was constantly being jacked in and out. I blew out the headphone jack with some compressed air, and 3 days later I haven't had it happen to me once.

Do you tend to keep your Pre in your pocket? I do especially now that I have a Phantomskinz cover on the screen. I figure it is getting dust and lint down inside. Give it a shot and see if that helps. Get some compressed air and blow the sucker out!