Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415161718 LastLast
    Deeply puzzling thread.

My backstory: For several months now, I've had intermittent headphone jack problems. (Sorry I'm not linking to the relevant thread[s], but it's predominant enough that you can find it pretty easily.) Basically, the phone will, on occasion, switch over to the headphones, even when they're not plugged in.

Then I upgraded to 1.4, and saw this volume icon freakout bug. All I could think was, at last, a visual representation to what I've been experiencing.

I don't think this is wholly hardware. The phone recently got jammed into headset mode. I ran through the audio diagnostic and sound came out of all the right places. After completing the diagnostic, sound still came out of the headsets. The ONLY test that failed was the unplug the headset test. Yes, that would be a hardware issue, but clearly there's a software element in deciding which speaker gets the audio stream.

I think what's happening here is that a lot more people have headphone jack problems than realized it. It's just the issues were so minor that, without a visual cue, users would have remained unaware of the problem.
    Wow, and I was afraid I was the only one with this problem. Glad to see it's not just my phone. But also sad to see there's no fix for it either. Since 1.4 I've got this crazy volume issue and my battery life is terrible. I'm gonna try to get some stats with the BatteryMonitor program, but this thing is probably going back to Sprint for a replacement, although from other reports on here that's not as sure-fire of a fix as I thought it would be.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    I have this issue only it happens when I'm on the phone too...phone randomly switches to headset and back and I can't hear what the other person is saying
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I too now have this bug after 1.4. Never had any issues with this before and haven't used my headset jack since well before 1.4. In addition to the icon appearing and the volume jumping all over the place, I also hear a clicking sound whenever the volume icon pops up. It sounds like it's coming from behind the volume rocker.
    I love my Pre but this problem is driving me nuts. It started with 1.4 so even if there is a hardware issue the software is what I hate. The worst thing is that the display keeps coming on with the volume icon when I haven't touched the on button, I suspect it's doing this in my pocket when I can't see it as the battery life has gone out the window.

I've never used the head phone jack but I do have a touchstone back.
    Update on mine:

Got a new Refurb phone from Sprint w/ 1.35 and no icon thingy worked perfect. Then installed 1.4, Bam same prob as the old phone.
    For those seeing the volume bug, try blowing in the headphone jack. There may be dust in there setting off the headphone sensor.
    ok im having this issue, i plug my headset to hear music and when i do the volume icon appears with only 3 bars loaded so me thinking my sound is low when i press my volume button on the side it changes the volume icon from the music icon to bell icon and thats set all the way high. this also happens when i first turn on my bluetooth headset same thing. so is there a fix for this yet?
    I've done the blowing thing, no change. The jack looks very clean to me. I've also now have had it happen while making a call, that makes the phone completely useless.
    Guessing there's still no fix for this? It's killing me honestly. So annoying trying to do anything from play a game or talk on the phone. Not to mention sometimes my phone will be sitting on the table and will light up with the volume icon going crazy when I never touced it. Only been since 1.4. There has got to be a fix coming soon..
    Quote Originally Posted by tazboy951 View Post
    Guessing there's still no fix for this? It's killing me honestly. So annoying trying to do anything from play a game or talk on the phone. Not to mention sometimes my phone will be sitting on the table and will light up with the volume icon going crazy when I never touced it. Only been since 1.4. There has got to be a fix coming soon..
    the fix that worked for me was getting a refurb...after i got it havent seen this problem since
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Didn't need a refurb. The sprint tech fixed it on site...
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
    Quote Originally Posted by notaphonegeek View Post
    yeah sprint tech tried to fix it but i still kept on getting the problem so he ordered a new one for me
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by notaphonegeek View Post
    Did you happen to ask him what did he do to fix it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeinrich View Post
    I think what's happening here is that a lot more people have headphone jack problems than realized it. It's just the issues were so minor that, without a visual cue, users would have remained unaware of the problem.
    BINGO! This is a flaky headphone jack, apparently a pretty widespread problem. It became worse in 1.4 when the volume icon began popping up every time it detects a change in the audio output. The software is only a problem if you have the flaky hardware (the headphone jack).
    Well I've only had my phone since Jan and it's brand new. I've never used the headset once I don't see why the hardware would be the problem. Either way they should come up with a patch that reverts the volume pop up back to the previous webos versions. Would easily fix the problem if it could be done.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    My headphone jack works fine, no crackling or cutting out when using headphones or a headphone cable hooked to a stereo. It doesn't cut in and out when talking on the phone. I just have the constant popping up of the volume icon every time I wake up the phone. It's really annoying because I have to wait for it to go away to be able to use any icons at the bottom of the screen like attach in the messaging app or reply in the email app.

Although I did just do an experiment where I pushed on the headphone jack and the phone turned on and the spazzing volume icon came up. I don't think it's bad hardware. I think it's oversensitive software.
    Well, I stuck a paperclip really lightly in the hole just to see if it was the hardware at all and it does pop up when it is stuck in there. Like I said I think a patch needs to be done to revert that part of the software to a previous version.
    Calling it out early, but I may have fixed my phone. I was thinking this may be static build up, specially since I could make the phone come on with the music icon every time by cleaning it with a micro cleaning cloth.

I've taken an anti-static bag that a hard drive came in and cut a rectangular piece the size of the phone, cut holes for the camera, touchstone contacts etc and then placed it inside the back-cover. I have the smallest (almost unnoticeable) bit of material sticking out from under the cover just by the headphone jack (since that's the point of concern) . I know it seems like stupid idea, but my phone has been perfect for a 1.5 days now. It was driving me nuts, but now I'm loving my pre again.

Bonus is I've only used a third of my battery charge today, instead of having to do an interday charge.

Another thought is I have a Zagg Invisible Shield on the phone, wondering if that's a factor.
    got my phone back from repair after I took it back last week because this bug was irritating me too much and i haven't had the problem since (I'm on O2 in the UK).

the repair report says:

Mandatory repair for every palm pre repair
    Camera connection cable

don't know why "Mandatory repair for every palm pre repair" is listed three times