Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 LastLast
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    ok... So I tried the "plug in the headphones" thing and now I don't see the volume icon bug. But I started listening to pandora and the slightest movement causes the headphones to go out. And if I gently pinch the top right corner of the pre the headphones also go out. THIS IS A BRAND NE W PRE!!! *** man...if it's not one problem it's another... Very frustrating. If I take back this one they're just gonna give me ANOTHER refurb... Grrrrr....
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I have only used the headsets once since I got the Pre in June (I used them in about August) and never since 1.4 and I am still getting the volume icon. It is random and comes on when a phone call is ended, the slider opened, and sporadically from other programs opening/closing. Why is this only a headset issue?
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    ya I never used the headphones either... But try plugging them in and taking them out. I haven't seen the problem since I did this. But... I did this and it just revealed another problem for me...
    Seems to me the volume icon showing up could be a symptom with more than one root cause.

In my case, after upgrading to 1.4, I noticed the volume icon showing up apparently randomly while I was playing PreJeweled (which does involve pressure on the screen). I have never had this problem before and I rarely use the headphones. I didn't notice that the problem occured when pressing any particular area of the screen - there are no game pieces up by the headphone jack, though.

I rebooted the phone and have not yet had the problem again - haven't had much of a chance to exhibit it though so far today.
    Has anyone else had this bug occur during a phone call?

For example, when you are on the phone, listening to the earpiece, the sound cuts out and the pre thinks headphones have been plugged in.

Super annoying.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    yes. And when on my bt, don't know if it has to do with this bug butbt drops and goes into regular phone mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by aethomps View Post
    Has anyone else had this bug occur during a phone call?

For example, when you are on the phone, listening to the earpiece, the sound cuts out and the pre thinks headphones have been plugged in.

Super annoying.
    Yes, on a wired headset phone conversation. The party you are talking to will say you keep cutting out. Even if you have good service. Its the jack I believe. Mine has been doing this only since the 1.4 update. I have the original pre I got new in June 09.
    mine started after 1.4
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Just to followup, my Asurion replacement Pre has not exhibited the volume notification icon randomly at all.. And the headset jack is working properly, for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNY View Post
    Just to followup, my Asurion replacement Pre has not exhibited the volume notification icon randomly at all.. And the headset jack is working properly, for now.
    Same here... on a Sprint replacement/refurb. No problems yet... (knock on wood)
    Yes, I have the bug and do not have Preware installed.
    I'm not at all convinced it's related to the headset jack. I've never used my headset jack and get this problem.
    I use my headset all the time, that being said i did not have this issue till after the 1.4 update.

Too bad we can find the string of code that is causing the issue and patch it.
    I use and have used my headset almost daily since getting the phone in June. Only since 1.4 have I had any issues with the volume indicators popping up. Yesterday it was so bad that in about 6 hours my phone burned through a fully charged battery. My guess is that while in my pocket, the volume indicators kept popping up all day which was enough to drain the battery?

In general Im not happy with the audio/headphone/BT issues with the phone. The jack constantly cuts out and distorts music. I have gone through 3 of the Altec Lansing backbeat BT headsets because of connectivity issues 1.4 has only made things worse on that front.
    Quote Originally Posted by jack.shiot View Post
    Same here... on a Sprint replacement/refurb. No problems yet... (knock on wood)
    I am using an Asurion replacement and it's been having the problem since downloading v1.4 and draining my battery in less than 6 hrs.
    Quote Originally Posted by buttonflyguy View Post
    I'm not at all convinced it's related to the headset jack. I've never used my headset jack and get this problem.
    I'm positive it's the jack. Regardless if you have ever used it. I use mine all the time and when I installed 1.4 I started getting the volume bar. I almost took it into sprint but decided to try plugging in some headphones and then removing them a couple of times. Since I did that I haven't had the bug since, and this was two days after 1.4.
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    It didn't come to light until 1.4. So a change in the software resulted in the faulty dll that triggers the sw to put out the icon bug.

The easy work-around is for Palm to remove that new feature (showing volume icon when headphone plug is inserted or removed).

Getting a refurb probably isn't going to help much. Eventually, the bug will show up again until there is a redesign of the hw which has not happened.

In 1.3.5.1, I never saw this issue. Also, now that the bug was accidentally introduced in 1.4 (even though it apparently existed in 1.3.5.1), it has yet to have any real adverse effects to my Pre (other than being annoying).

If you have the "stuck headset mode," then yes, that has adverse effects to the phone (only speaker phone or BT works). That warrants a return (which will end up in a refurb replacing your current Pre). The stuck headset mode is NOT happening on my Pre so I'm ok in that respect.

However, my Pre is still a new Pre (after going through two refurbs which both had defects), I'd rather wait to see how Palm will handle this in a software update.

I'd be satisfied to see them remove this feature from within WebOS. Yes, it blankets the bug but again, the bug is just an annoyance that is really not having adverse effects to my Pre.

To each their own.
    If what you're saying is true...then somebody could write a patch that disables the volume icon, right?
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    In addition to appearing at the bottom of the screen, my volume button is also stuck either in up or down volume. Started in down volume and no matter what I did it would not go up (even went into the sounds and ringtone app and when I slid the volume up it would slide itself down!) Then all of a sudden it is the opposite! The actual hardware buttons don't seem to do anything!

This just started TODAY
    is there a way to disable the jack temporarily? Like a preware app or tweak? I tried getting a refurb from sprint but they sent me a POS phone w/ more problems and I just sent it back. Everything else w/ my pre is perfy, just this stupid annoying issue.
    I've now been running 1.4 w/patches on my replacement Pre for a couple weeks with no recurrence of the problem. My vote is firmly in the hardware problem category.