Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 341
  1. #221  
    the OP or mod should rename this thread as the Volume icon hardware defect..or something like that
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  2. #222  
    We must have different books here to define bug. Just to rehash the subject one more time, and then I'm done with it. The gracious support team at Palm wants me to try a reload of the OS. I figure, what the heck, I'll give it a shot.

    But as far as the bug, this is the definition from Wikipedia after using the goodness that is google search.

    A software bug is the common term used to describe an error, flaw, mistake, failure, or fault in a computer program or system that produces an incorrect or unexpected result, or causes it to behave in unintended ways.


    So as I read that, first, since this didn't appear before 1.4, I would say that this is a flaw or fault in a computer program or system. Check mark #1; and the second part that it produces an unexpected result; check mark #2. We have a bug (as it could be fixed for us via code).

    At the same time, we know that this is a hardware issue that causes the unintended flaw.

    Here is to hoping that a reload via webos doctor will not fix it and I can get a replacement. The only bummer with that is I'm sure that Sprint will try to make me use the insurance program since I did drop my Pre last October and a cracked screen would have resulted had it not been for the screen protector.
  3. #223  
    Quote Originally Posted by GolpherZX View Post
    We must have different books here to define bug. Just to rehash the subject one more time, and then I'm done with it. The gracious support team at Palm wants me to try a reload of the OS. I figure, what the heck, I'll give it a shot.

    But as far as the bug, this is the definition from Wikipedia after using the goodness that is google search.





    So as I read that, first, since this didn't appear before 1.4, I would say that this is a flaw or fault in a computer program or system. Check mark #1; and the second part that it produces an unexpected result; check mark #2. We have a bug (as it could be fixed for us via code).

    At the same time, we know that this is a hardware issue that causes the unintended flaw.

    Here is to hoping that a reload via webos doctor will not fix it and I can get a replacement. The only bummer with that is I'm sure that Sprint will try to make me use the insurance program since I did drop my Pre last October and a cracked screen would have resulted had it not been for the screen protector.
    Don't waste your time reloading it wont help. Honestly try and plug some headphones in the jack a couple of times until you notice it stops popping up. I was getting the volume bar constantly after updating to 1.4. I did this trick and it has been gone since. Give it a shot it might work for you.
  4. #224  
    I agree with you that I don't see a fresh install working. Just need to do what the tech support guy recommended (I've got a decent idea of how the systems work). I use the headphones moderately (depending on the noise in the office) and have had the well documented issue with the headset as well here and there. Then this shows up.

    I'm also curious to see if a fresh install will help out the battery, that and I want to have an excuse to remove the corporate email from the phone as well (they would wipe it regardless).
  5. BDoG76's Avatar
    Posts
    132 Posts
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    #225  
    I have never plugged the headphones in and have the problem...
  6. msb
    msb is offline
    msb's Avatar
    Posts
    109 Posts
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    #226  
    Quote Originally Posted by GolpherZX View Post
    But as far as the bug, this is the definition from Wikipedia after using the goodness that is google search.
    A software bug is the common term used to describe an error, flaw, mistake, failure, or fault in a computer program or system that produces an incorrect or unexpected result, or causes it to behave in unintended ways.
    So as I read that, first, since this didn't appear before 1.4, I would say that this is a flaw or fault in a computer program or system. Check mark #1; and the second part that it produces an unexpected result; check mark #2. We have a bug (as it could be fixed for us via code).
    Well, feel free to call it what you want. But I would argue that the result is exactly as expected:
    When the phone goes into headset mode -> show the volume icon.
    When the phone goes out of headset mode -> show the volume icon.
    I'll give another desktop computer analogy: Say you coded a program to popup a window whenever your ethernet cable was plugged/unplugged and you gain/lose network connectivity. Now, say the cable or port is faulty and it causes the connection to break and you rapidly gain/lose network connectivity. Now, each time this happens, the popup appears... repeatedly.
    Now, would you call this software bug?

    I also challenge the assertion that could be "fixed" by code. No amount of code changes will fix your faulty hardware. The only change they could make is to stop showing the volume icon when you enter/leave headset mode. That isn't a fix and the hardware problem would still exists.
  7. BDoG76's Avatar
    Posts
    132 Posts
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    #227  
    so why did the problem not come to light until the latest update?
  8. Olidie's Avatar
    Posts
    385 Posts
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    #228  
    I used to have this volume problem. It has been recommended to uninstall "no alert during call" patch, if you have it installed. This solved the volume issue for me.
  9. msb
    msb is offline
    msb's Avatar
    Posts
    109 Posts
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    #229  
    Quote Originally Posted by BDoG76 View Post
    so why did the problem not come to light until the latest update?
    The problem always existed (a faulty headset sensor causing the phone to rapidly go in and out of headset mode) - I experienced it before 1.4 as an annoying "clicking" sound that I couldn't pinpoint the cause of. However, with 1.4, a new feature was added that displays the volume icon whenever the phone goes in/out of headset mode. It works beautifully for phones that don't have the hardware defect, but for phones that do have the defect (like mine), it's a nightmare.

    Bottom line, though, is that it's a hardware issue that you should get a replacement to fix it.
  10. #230  
    Quote Originally Posted by MSB View Post
    The problem always existed (a faulty headset sensor causing the phone to rapidly go in and out of headset mode) - I experienced it before 1.4 as an annoying "clicking" sound that I couldn't pinpoint the cause of. However, with 1.4, a new feature was added that displays the volume icon whenever the phone goes in/out of headset mode. It works beautifully for phones that don't have the hardware defect, but for phones that do have the defect (like mine), it's a nightmare.

    Bottom line, though, is that it's a hardware issue that you should get a replacement to fix it.
    exactly
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  11. #231  
    Just an update and confirmation that it's a hardware problem -

    Got my replacement Pre yesterday and updated to 1.4. No problems whatsoever... the phone is back to rockin status for me.
  12. msb
    msb is offline
    msb's Avatar
    Posts
    109 Posts
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    #232  
    What I am interested in, though, is how fragile the headphone jack/sensor is?

    I use the headset port daily - multiple times a day, really. (Technically, I'm not using a headset, but rather I plug my phone into my car radio using a standard audio plug.)

    So, is it considered *normal wear and tear* to plug in a head set 3-4 times a day? Or is that considered "excessive"? I think even a casual observer would say that's not excessive... especially for a phone that touts it's multimedia technology.

    So... for the folks that are/aren't having this problem. How often to you plug something in to the headset jack?
  13. PabloRobles's Avatar
    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    #233  
    Has someone been able to get a replacement for a Sprint PRE without using the insurance? I mean... how do I get them to acknowledge it is a factory defect to avoid paying the $100 fee. My PRE is in perfect physical and cosmetic condition.

    I didn't had the issue before 1.4, now it won't let me finish hearing even one song or podcast using the PRE speaker. It's been a while since I used my iPod nano... except for jogging... I now listen to music and podcasts constantly on the PRE. This is a major issue for me since upgrading to WebOS 1.4
  14. #234  
    Quote Originally Posted by BDoG76 View Post
    so why did the problem not come to light until the latest update?
    Because the volume bug is a visual representation of the headset jack hardware problem. Palm has had hardware problems with headset jacks as far back as I can remember on their older phones. Your just not seeing it because 1.4 introduced the volume bar icon to pop up when ever you connect a bluetooth device or even attaching a headset. But since it's a hardware problem your phone thinks that something is being plugged in everytime the volume bar appears.
  15. #235  
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloRobles View Post
    Has someone been able to get a replacement for a Sprint PRE without using the insurance? I mean... how do I get them to acknowledge it is a factory defect to avoid paying the $100 fee. My PRE is in perfect physical and cosmetic condition.

    I didn't had the issue before 1.4, now it won't let me finish hearing even one song or podcast using the PRE speaker. It's been a while since I used my iPod nano... except for jogging... I now listen to music and podcasts constantly on the PRE. This is a major issue for me since upgrading to WebOS 1.4
    Welllll... when I went in for a replacement, and I do have TEP insurance... I wasn't charged a single dime.

    When I turned it in, and I told the rep the list of problems arising with the volume icon bug, he gave me a receipt for the repair, which lists the issue that needs repair - and he put down "speakerphone failure"... although that's not the problem. Maybe the issues I listed were way above his head, or maybe the software the reps use give them pre-listed issues that need repair, and he had to choose one. Either way, when he took it back to the tech, he came out two seconds later and told me they need to order a replacement. I don't know if maybe he put speakerphone failure just to fasttrack the replacement process and skip the repair attempt... or he just didn't know what to put. Whatever the case, I got my replacement in 3 business days with no charge... hope that helps?
  16. #236  
    Quote Originally Posted by jack.shiot View Post
    Welllll... when I went in for a replacement, and I do have TEP insurance... I wasn't charged a single dime.

    When I turned it in, and I told the rep the list of problems arising with the volume icon bug, he gave me a receipt for the repair, which lists the issue that needs repair - and he put down "speakerphone failure"... although that's not the problem. Maybe the issues I listed were way above his head, or maybe the software the reps use give them pre-listed issues that need repair, and he had to choose one. Either way, when he took it back to the tech, he came out two seconds later and told me they need to order a replacement. I don't know if maybe he put speakerphone failure just to fasttrack the replacement process and skip the repair attempt... or he just didn't know what to put. Whatever the case, I got my replacement in 3 business days with no charge... hope that helps?
    The reason you didn't get charged is because part of that 7 dollars you pay every month goes to sprint repair. It's like 3 dollars for the sprint repair and 4 to the actual insurance.
  17. #237  
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloRobles View Post
    Has someone been able to get a replacement for a Sprint PRE without using the insurance? I mean... how do I get them to acknowledge it is a factory defect to avoid paying the $100 fee. My PRE is in perfect physical and cosmetic condition.

    I didn't had the issue before 1.4, now it won't let me finish hearing even one song or podcast using the PRE speaker. It's been a while since I used my iPod nano... except for jogging... I now listen to music and podcasts constantly on the PRE. This is a major issue for me since upgrading to WebOS 1.4
    ur not gonna pay 100 dollars...thats only if u go in and u have a cracked screen and u have to pay the deductible...if u go in and tell them about the volume icon popping up and u dont have insurance...i think ull be paying around 35 or so dollars...that i remember
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  18. #238  
    Quote Originally Posted by MSB View Post
    What I am interested in, though, is how fragile the headphone jack/sensor is?

    I use the headset port daily - multiple times a day, really. (Technically, I'm not using a headset, but rather I plug my phone into my car radio using a standard audio plug.)

    So, is it considered *normal wear and tear* to plug in a head set 3-4 times a day? Or is that considered "excessive"? I think even a casual observer would say that's not excessive... especially for a phone that touts it's multimedia technology.

    So... for the folks that are/aren't having this problem. How often to you plug something in to the headset jack?
    If we get that answer I would like to know as well. In my work environment I have several meetings that I need to attend (bring the phone with me for escalations) and when I'm at my desk I'm in a noisy environment so I use the headphones to help keep my noise to something I want to listen to. So I too am using it 4+ times a day.

    Can't wait to see what my visit to the Sprint store says as I do have a small crack in the screen from a drop 6 months ago. Thanks all!
  19. #239  
    It didn't come to light until 1.4. So a change in the software resulted in the faulty dll that triggers the sw to put out the icon bug.

    The easy work-around is for Palm to remove that new feature (showing volume icon when headphone plug is inserted or removed).

    Getting a refurb probably isn't going to help much. Eventually, the bug will show up again until there is a redesign of the hw which has not happened.

    In 1.3.5.1, I never saw this issue. Also, now that the bug was accidentally introduced in 1.4 (even though it apparently existed in 1.3.5.1), it has yet to have any real adverse effects to my Pre (other than being annoying).

    If you have the "stuck headset mode," then yes, that has adverse effects to the phone (only speaker phone or BT works). That warrants a return (which will end up in a refurb replacing your current Pre). The stuck headset mode is NOT happening on my Pre so I'm ok in that respect.

    However, my Pre is still a new Pre (after going through two refurbs which both had defects), I'd rather wait to see how Palm will handle this in a software update.

    I'd be satisfied to see them remove this feature from within WebOS. Yes, it blankets the bug but again, the bug is just an annoyance that is really not having adverse effects to my Pre.

    To each their own.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  20. #240  
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    The reason you didn't get charged is because part of that 7 dollars you pay every month goes to sprint repair. It's like 3 dollars for the sprint repair and 4 to the actual insurance.
    Yeah, I know... just relating my experience. My understanding is that if it's a user-caused problem, you pay. If it's a hardware malfunction, you don't. That's part of my point in listing the cause the rep wrote down...

Posting Permissions