Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I'm planning on switching out the WebOS.tar in the WebOS Doctor kit from the Verizon one to the Sprint 1.4.. Any thoughts before I brick my phone?
    Last edited by TylerD004; 02/27/2010 at 10:22 AM.
    Why can't u just wait
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    This might work and its fun to take risks
    yea why
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I'm shocked no one has tried this.. With such ridiculous anticipation, I would have thought Verizon users would just do this until the proper webos Doctor is released..
    I know a while back someone did thus for 1.3.5 for Bell. I heard it worked well, but when I tried it, WebOSDoc got stuck at 3% for some reason...
    Don't worry about bricking, unless it's hardware your Pre can be unbricked.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/225743-fix-what-considered-bricked-pre-caj2008-rules.html

Screwed up a few times "messin around" and this fixes it every time. BTW, I say go for it.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    I've tried to install sprint 1.4 for bell but I keep getting an error "your device is not compatible with this version of webos doctor"
    how do you do this? I'll go do it right now?
    ORIGINAL HANDSPRING TREO USER! I ROCKED IT WITH PRIDE!!!
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    There's the enthusiasm I've been waiting for!

Ok, I tried it several times, but my WebOS Doctor got stuck at 3%..

To do it is quite simple:

1) Just download the WebOS Doctor for Sprint 1.4 and Verizon 1.3.5.1 from http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions

2) Extract Both

3) Copy the WebOS.tar from Sprint to Verizon using the same locations and overwrite

4) ZIP up the now edited Verizon folders to match the ZIP you downloaded previously

5) Rename the ZIP to JAR

6) If it works, enjoy 1.4 on Verizon before everyone else
    Last edited by TylerD004; 02/27/2010 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Now I can have a proper link (10 posts)
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    I can't launch the renamed zip. It's corrupted
    Last edited by neodoru; 02/27/2010 at 01:46 PM.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I would wait. I just got off of the phone with a VZW rep and his buddy that sits next to him has been bugging him all day about the update (b/c he has a pre+). He said it IS coming today but did not know when.

Just to go against my own post before you do... It's totally possible that his source is precentral
    How do you change it from a zip to a jar on vista?
    ORIGINAL HANDSPRING TREO USER! I ROCKED IT WITH PRIDE!!!
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    what archiver did you use? I have tried winrar, and some mac stuff but none works... all of them give me the same error java file corrupted
    yeah i've done it before with Bell.

It's all right. You get the OS just fine and dandy. The only thing that sucks is when the patch comes out you should re-doctor your phone to the official bell release.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE_LUVER View Post
    How do you change it from a zip to a jar on vista?
    Just rename it.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neodoru View Post
    what archiver did you use? I have tried winrar, and some mac stuff but none works... all of them give me the same error java file corrupted
    I used WinRAR.. you have to set the compression to "Store"

Also forgot to mention.. just in case you guys don't like some apps you can remove or replace them.. for example I like to Delete the Amazon App Store and Repace VZNav (which you have to pay for to use) with Sprint Nav (which is free and works better).. to do that just go in the Verizon.tar and delete the 2 files that say amazon in them and 2 files that say vznav in them and add the 2 sprint nav files from the Sprint.tar in 1.4 and voila.. no annoying Amazon Icon or process running for that matter and a FREE working NAV program..
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerD004 View Post
    I used WinRAR.. you have to set the compression to "Store"

Also forgot to mention.. just in case you guys don't like some apps you can remove or replace them.. for example I like to Delete the Amazon App Store and Repace VZNav (which you have to pay for to use) with Sprint Nav (which is free and works better).. to do that just go in the Verizon.tar and delete the 2 files that say amazon in them and 2 files that say vznav in them and add the 2 sprint nav files from the Sprint.tar in 1.4 and voila.. no annoying Amazon Icon or process running for that matter and a FREE working NAV program..
    thats awesome, didn't even think of the possibility to nab sprint's nav. Will need to look into/do this mod after verizon 1.4tar gets out.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjab View Post
    thats awesome, didn't even think of the possibility to nab sprint's nav. Will need to look into/do this mod after verizon 1.4tar gets out.
    No need.. THAT IS the procedure when 1.4 is out.. it doesn't matter what ver the WebOS or Verizon.tar.. SprintNav has it's own version of I believe 1.0.0 build 75 and it can be independantly dropped into any (Carrier).tar in any WebOS build..
    cool, I've never ran webosdoctor yet so this will be new for me. I assume you lose all homebrew/apps/settings/everything when running the doctor, and I'm guessing there is no other way to change the verizon.tar file than doctoring. Such a pain to reinstall everything, guess its worth it though.

going to give it a trial run with the 1.35 files

--on another note, I tried sticking sprints webos.tar into verizons webosdoctor.jar file, doctor is stuck at 3% for me as well
    Last edited by ninjab; 02/27/2010 at 04:20 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast