1.    #1  
    I updated my Sprint Pre this AM and left my Wife's at 1.3.5.1 for the purpose of some informal speed testing of loading apps.

I tested:
    Camera
    Calendar
    Messaging
    Email

I found that in each test, 1.3.5.1 loaded a fraction faster, as in almost un-noticable. However, not having them side by side, the app load animation sure makes 1.4 seem tons faster. Nice touch w/ the animation though. I assume most people will think its much faster.
    Last edited by MilenkoD; 02/27/2010 at 10:03 AM.
    I like the new load screen for the simple fact that before sometimes I'd click on an app and with a blank screen while loading I'd sometimes wonder whether my click registered. Saves some extra clicks I suppose.

Interesting to hear of a side by side loading comparison though.
    nice to know a video would have been nice
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    as gabbott said, I feel the new load screen lends a feeling of responsiveness to the Pre, regardless of any gains in speed, which I for one appreciate.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    nice to know a video would have been nice
    LOL...I was thinking about that too.....almost ran upstairs to grab my work phone BB Curve just for that purpose.

Like I said...it was an un-scientific test. For the most part, it seemed equal but the animation is a nice polished touch.
    at first 1.4 was faster but the more I use it the slower it gets. So something's leaking memory.
    one scenario where it is faster, is if you tap the wrong app icon. there are times when i tap the wrong app and know it, but its usually too late. now, when the card comes up and flashes the icon, you can quickly swipe it away, instead of pressing button or swiping to card view and then swiping card away.
    To me it seems 10 to 20% faster after playing with it for 36 hours now.
    Slightly better battery life as well.
    i don't know if the actual speed of webOS is faster, but the perceived speed of loading and moving around has increased.

i definitely like the new app loading mechanism. The extra feedback is a nice touch. I don't need every app to load instantly, but i do need to know something is happening.
    Phone feels faster overall. However, for me, the startup card feels slower that just having the app appear.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I agree, my phone app feels much more responsive.

Need to figure out how to correct a bad password on YouTube login for the video.
    David E Thurman
    Downstate Illinois ARPH Representative/Coordinator

david.e.thurman@gmail.com
    (309) 222-5211 (mobile - text)
    @aussierescueil (twitter)
    www.aussierescueil.com (blog)

"Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in." Mark Twain
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Mine feels quite a fair amount slower actually... Hopefully it's just post-install stress, and it'll get better but I'm quite disappointed at the moment.
    I have timed epocrates on the 1.3.5 and on 1.4

it now loads the app AND databases in 3.f sec

that used to take ten or more

this seems to be the database loading mostly.

prior to 1.4 it would show a splash screen with blue progress bar.

1.4 loads so fast there is no progress bar.

I am very impressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by dthurman View Post
    I agree, my phone app feels much more responsive.

Need to figure out how to correct a bad password on YouTube login for the video.
    Remove the youtube account and re-add it. That's what I had to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by dthurman View Post
    I Need to figure out how to correct a bad password on YouTube login for the video.
    + juan

I keep getting an upload error.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    I updated my Sprint Pre this AM and left my Wife's at 1.3.5.1 for the purpose of some informal speed testing of loading apps.

I tested:
    Camera
    Calendar
    Messaging
    Email

I found that in each test, 1.3.5.1 loaded a fraction faster, as in almost un-noticable. However, not having them side by side, the app load animation sure makes 1.4 seem tons faster. Nice touch w/ the animation though. I assume most people will think its much faster.

I did the exact same comparison with slightly different results.

Camera - opened faster in 1.4 (slightly)
    Calendar - same
    Mesaging - slight edge to 1.4
    Phone - opened exactly the same but phone functions were considerably faster in 1.4 and much better organized.
    Email - same

Yes, the animation takes the 'waiting' feeling away for the second or so. But then again, we are only talking about 1 to 2 seconds here so I could really care less either way. Comparison was done out of curiosity as I already thing the Pre is performing well, even before 1.4. Hoping the lagging / mini-pauses go away though.
    The speed difference is definitely real, and frequently significant.

Native WebOS applications are written using HTML and Javascript and the Javascript performance in 1.4 has been dramatically improved, which translates into faster performance across the board. Some benchmarks that used to take over 40 seconds to complete now finish in 25.

Compare the App Catalog between 1.3.5.1 and 1.4 for instance. Moving from one screen to the next (or back to a list of applications after viewing application details) is wildly more responsive than it was before. This doesn't have anything to do with a so-called placebo effect from the new card launch behavior. This is an example of the real performance improvement that I am seeing in every application. Animation is smoother in Paratrooper and Mazer and the web browser renders pages more rapidly than before.

I am very impressed with 1.4. Palm really nailed it.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    When I tested the difference on two pres, 1.4 was much faster with every application, and the same with the web brower. However, 1.4 actually loaded the page much faster on both wifi and 3G. When I loaded google maps, the difference was 29 seconds! Some of the other apps had large differences as well, but average (by estimate) was 4 or 5 seconds.
    That is a whole new world of fast.
    Reaffirming my faith in Palm.