Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I don't think it is an illusion that the phone app is loading faster.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by freeridstylee View Post
    "Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity."

-Albert Einstein
    That's cool.
    iPhone trick.
    totally realize it, and totally love it.

and totally wonder why you did the SMH smiley? i'm pretty sure most people realize it.
    if anyone thinks it's all an illusion, here is proof it isn't.

requirements

you had previously used epocrates

now load epocrates on 1.4, notice how the database compile doesn't even last the blik of an eye now? You hardly see it

on 1.3.5.1 epocrates went.

hit icon, stare at screen 2 sec, comile database 10 sec or so (with progress bar)

now with 1.4 and same epocrates

tap, launch splash 2-3 sec, flash database scree, your in

it's three fold faster loading that app.

I guess epocrates dosent know about placebos in there database

a hyuck a hyuck a hyuck.
    I'm on verizon so no 1.4 yet for me. I've done some timing so I can objectively compare speed when I finally get the upgrade.
    Pixi+
    Most Apps: 4s
    Dialer: ~1.5s
    Epocrates: 14s
    Moving opening inbox in email: ~1s
    Moving back from inbox to email accounts: ~.5s
    Times are probably good to half a second or so, just using a second hand to time.

Looking forward to hopefully not just getting a placebo effect.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Anything that makes the phone feel faster is good in my book. I just don't like delays. Create the perception that the delay is gone and I'm happy. This is a pretty old trick.

EDIT: On second though if you are getting early feedback the phone is, in fact, more responsive. Even if it might not be faster. I have more issue with slow responsiveness than slow "fastness."
    Last edited by miata; 02/27/2010 at 02:47 PM.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    if anyone thinks it's all an illusion, here is proof it isn't.

requirements

you had previously used epocrates

now load epocrates on 1.4, notice how the database compile doesn't even last the blik of an eye now? You hardly see it

on 1.3.5.1 epocrates went.

hit icon, stare at screen 2 sec, comile database 10 sec or so (with progress bar)

now with 1.4 and same epocrates

tap, launch splash 2-3 sec, flash database scree, your in

it's three fold faster loading that app.

I guess epocrates dosent know about placebos in there database

a hyuck a hyuck a hyuck.
    Windy:

Read what i highlighted in your very own post.
    That's the time i was talking about. -And you admitted it yourself.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    For those old enough, just think back to your C64 days when it took 10 minutes to load up a game.
    The phone app definitely loads faster, I really like (just an observation)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Windy:

You skipped this part:

comile database 10 sec or so (with progress bar)
    Which is instantaneous in 1.4.

I just checked it myself and it does load quicker.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Windy:

no no, your missing what I'm saying. To use epocrates you must open the app, then the two sec, then a comile database function happens (ir used to) that takes ten sec or so.

1.4 removes that ten sec, so now the app opens and is usable in two or thre seconds, instead of 13
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    no no, your missing what I'm saying. To use epocrates you must open the app, then the two sec, then a comile database function happens (ir used to) that takes ten sec or so.

1.4 removes that ten sec, so now the app opens and is usable in two or thre seconds, instead of 13
    Well, that's good.
    I still have the same delay with other things from the launcher, but okay.
    I believe you and Mr. Arrow.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Epocrates does open much faster. That and the phone app are the only ones that truly seem to open faster for me though.
    dbd, are you the red not smiley face?

Quote Originally Posted by jephdood View Post
    For those old enough, just think back to your C64 days when it took 10 minutes to load up a game.
    Yeah just go to load up a single game. Waiting for that damn cassette drive when something wasn't on a floppy. Then after all that time its just one game or program loaded and it had no multitasking!
    i like the animation. some programs such as "memos" have a custom splash while loading. its pretty cool
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I was reading precentral at 3am Eastern time when the update confirmations started coming in. I decided not to update until reading posted results because of being burned before.
    After several hours of researching, I'm ready to take the plunge. But first, here are my current 1.3.5.2 averages for the following apps (my phone has never been modified, patched, overclocked, and the only game I have is Solitaire):
    Memos 8 sec
    Music 3s
    Email 4s
    Photos 4
    Goog Calndr Sarch 6 sec to open & 35 sec to 2 minutes to return a result
    Utube 7 sec to first clickable image link
    Classic 39 seconds
    Calculator 3 sec
    Date & time 4 sec
    Sprint Nav 5 sec
    Calendar 2.5 sec
    Contacts 3.5 sec
    App catalog 8 sec to get search cursor & 24s to first visible app icon

I'll post 1.4 comparisons after I update this weekend.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    The 3D games are loading much faster than before. Assasin's Creed use to take between 20 and 30 seconds to get the the intro cut scene and it's now around 11 seconds. Sorry I can't give exact numbers for 1.3.5.1 since I never actually timed it but my sense of time is fairly accurate give or take a few seconds (skillz left over from working at a TV station).
    I like the feedback that the Pre accepted my command and is working on it, but for me the new animation actually reminds me of how sluggish and unresponsive it can be. I find myself counting the pulses until it loads. Before with the long pause before the app opened, I had no way of gauging the passage of time.

I'd like to see a patch or app that allows configuration of the splash card animation. For me, I would set the glowing pulse to be more subtle and slower-just enough to let me know that it hasn't crashed. Other animation options could be to have the whole card fade in, just the icon fading in, gradual zooming of the icon, tweaking glow color, timing, size, or spinning/flying, rotating icons, etc.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12