Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stanis3k View Post
    how do you change the prl?

step by step would be appreciated, thanks!
    open dialer

touch sprint in upper left corner

open preferences

scroll to bottom

hit update prl
    what if you're on verizon with a pre plus? there is no option to update prl? Does this not apply to verizon?
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grate88 View Post
    open dialer

touch sprint in upper left corner

open preferences

scroll to bottom

hit update prl
    ok thanks lets see if this helps with the battery life
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    To update your PRL on Verizon, go to dialer and dial *228. Make the call and select option 2 which update your roaming capability.
    OK, so I inadvertantly tested this.........though I don't recall doing it in the first place.

Took my Pre off the touchstone this morning at 4am-ish, drove my mom to the hospital, came back home and crashed for a bit, left the phone on my table, not charging. Somehow the Facebook app I plan on getting rid of got turned on (I probably started it last night and forgot about it). Phone just binged at me, checked to see what it was, "no internet connection". Battery was at 10%, barely. Almost 7pm now, so figure I got 15 hours with EVDO firing off however often the FB app updates when running. Not too shabby.
    Quote Originally Posted by stanis3k View Post
    ok thanks lets see if this helps with the battery life
    Not too sure if this step fixes it, or if it was a combo of PRL update with the "backup" restart, but I can more than confirm this fixed my issues. My battery life is now the best I've ever seen it in an area with a poor signal... I work at a radio station cluster with 7 stations so my signal is always jacked up and working in Production my phone is always going from Sprint to Roam (Alltel - Divested area).

Hopefully this works for you.

Like i've mentioned before I think the PRL with 1.4 is a bad PRL and caused phones to scan for signals regardless if it needed to or not. 60659 fixed that issue, and 60660 added EVDO data to many areas that didn't have EVDO roaming.

--edit--

My phone has now been off the charger almost 12 hours and I am down to 40% in a very bad signal area. Couldn't even get this with 1.3.5.x when my phone was doing its best.

Very impressed with the battery improvements made to 1.4
    Last edited by fastamx79; 03/05/2010 at 06:29 PM. Reason: a few additions
    after the 1.4 update my battery life is freaking great from before. I'm now running abot 4% with normaal use from like 10% before! Love this Pre! Soon as the wifes instinct breaks will get her one!
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Battery life is F'ING RAD.
    I use my phone moderate-heavy use all day, and before 1.4 I would be down to about 25% by late evening. After 1.4, I'm at about 40-50% in the late evening!
    Battery life is much better after 1.4 update. I am using a Pre Plus from VZW.
    Palm V - BlackBerry 8700 - iPhone 3G - Pre Plus
    Apps I like: Backgrounds, 5000 Quotes, Dealert
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    i tried doctoring straight to 1.4 by doing the volume up boot.. so far its a bit better. also fixed some issues i was having after updating prewar and package manager.
    ok with gps and wifi on and after charing on the touchstone im @ 2.66 dph
    I noticed an immediate drop in battery life after 1.4 also. So I switched the Wifi sleep setting from its default setting to When Phone Sleeps: "Turn Wi-fi Off". After making this change, the battery life improved dramatically...perhaps to even better than pre-1.4. Try this...
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    As I suggested in a prior post, I reverted to 1.3.5.1 earlier in the week and got my battery life back to normal. Well, yesterday, my phone "found" 1.4 in the update process (it must check periodically) and wanted me to update. So, I decided what the heck. I was hoping maybe it would be okay and if not I would doc back to 1.3.5.1 again.

I updated to 1.4 late yesterday afternoon. Went into back up to restore my profile / apps and put things back. No problems with the restore. Battery life? Well, it started sucking again. I decided that maybe this is like something I had experienced before with Windows Mobile. Wanted to find the root cause. So I deleted all of my downloaded apps ... thinking maybe it is one of them causing the glitch. Then I did a trial. I was watching the Oscars and had my phone sitting next to me idle for an hour ... battery went from 44% down to 30%. Still nothing. I was pretty teed off.

Sitting there staring at the 30% remaining indicator I noticed that the "EV" seemed to be illuminating ... as if the phone was doing something ... pretty constantly. But I had nothing open. The only remaining apps on my phone that did anything were my exchange and gmail accounts (set to grab email hourly). Wifi was off, GPS was off, so what was causing the burn?

I started by deleting the gmail account. Rebooted, threw it on the charger overnight. Put in airplane mode to charge.

This morning I took the phone off the charger 100% charged. Gmail still not on it. Only exchange (which checked immediately upon turning on). From 730am to 830am the battery indicator did not move. Still 100% an hour later. Good news.

So, I have loaded gmail back on (and I only sync the email, not the calendar or contacts as all of that is on my exchange). At 9:38am my battery registered 97% (after setting things up and a reboot). 1 hour later at 1035am I was 96%.

Did I find the culprit? My suspicion is that something got screwed up in the gmail settings or something in the backup. Regardless of how many times I WebOS'd the device ... I was going to end up at the same place by restoring with the backup.

I'll keep you posted on how this bears out over the day.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    I noticed an immediate drop in battery life after 1.4 also. So I switched the Wifi sleep setting from its default setting to When Phone Sleeps: "Turn Wi-fi Off". After making this change, the battery life improved dramatically...perhaps to even better than pre-1.4. Try this...
    I did this too, and it seemed to solve my problem. The next day I changed it back to "Keep Wi-Fi On" and battery life has still been good for me.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    So much for my theory in above post. At 1135am my battery said 94%. I thought maybe it was working. By Noon my battery said 83%! A drain of 11% in 25 minutes. I took a log that I intend to send along.

For now, I have just decided to do a full erase and start from a blank 1.4, establish a new profile on a new email, and see what happens.
    my battery life has sucked since 1.4
    it's beyond the day that I downloaded the update and my battery life is still worse. i blame the update
    My phone made it from around 1 AM to 9:30 PM yesterday and was still @ 30% battery. Light usage though...texting all day, a couple calls, a little browsing, checked preware for updates a few times.

I must be in the minority because my battery life has been fantastic since 1.4
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    OK, so I inadvertantly tested this.........though I don't recall doing it in the first place.

Took my Pre off the touchstone this morning at 4am-ish, drove my mom to the hospital, came back home and crashed for a bit, left the phone on my table, not charging. Somehow the Facebook app I plan on getting rid of got turned on (I probably started it last night and forgot about it). Phone just binged at me, checked to see what it was, "no internet connection". Battery was at 10%, barely. Almost 7pm now, so figure I got 15 hours with EVDO firing off however often the FB app updates when running. Not too shabby.
    Does anyone know why the EVDO/3G symbol has stopped appearing on my top bar? I didn't install anything that should have affected that. Does it mean that I'm not connecting to the EVDO/3G network? Web pages seem to be just as fast as when I saw the EVDO symbol. I would like the comfort of knowing how it is connecting.

When I noticed that it wasn't showing up, I tried to install the patch that lets me decide between 2G and 3G, but that install fails...

Any thoughts?
    Updating the PRL and rebooting seems to have drastically improved my battery life. This should be everyone's first try.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I started completely over with 1.4 earlier (did the full erase of apps, settings, etc. from the phone in the "info" application). No restore from the Palm backup site; created a new account on yahoo email (old one was on gmail); will have to download my apps later (I only had a handful of free apps on my device anyway). Thus far all I have done:

1. Connected phone to my laptop in USB mode and copied some pictures and wallpapers to the PRE. Also copied about 6 CDs worth of songs.
    2. Added my ringtone back by copying the file from my laptop.
    3. Setup my exchange account with work. And it is pinging on the "one hour" interval.

So far, in exactly 2 hours time, my battery has lost 3% going from 73% to 70% between 220pm and 420pm when I just looked at it. Email has been checked a couple of times and I had one phone call (it was a wrong number).

That is about what I expect in terms of "idle time" given my setup. A vast improvement over some of the crazy burn rates I have been seeing.

Next on the list is to setup gmail account and monitor. Then if no problems, will be on to facebook and monitor performance.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast