Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I've already sent a message to hbz... but my experience since upgrading to 1.4 has been worse, like many here.

I'm having serious battery drain issues now. I'm using an unmodified (no patches) Sprint Pre, losing approximately 10-12% battery charge an hour even when not in active use. WiFi and Bluetooth turned off. Email polling is set to retrieve messages once an hour. Approximately an hour of moderate use (RadioTime playing, one or two incoming text messages, one email poll) drains power from full to about half, even a little less, now that I think of yesterday's use. On 1.3.5 I would charge during the day, but I never had drain problems this bad before the update.

My boyfriend has a Verizon Pre Plus, and he says his battery life has been better since 1.4, so I wonder if the carrier may have something to do with it?

-- edit - also, I've got the email notification light turned off now. No difference.
    Last edited by Grey_girl; 03/03/2010 at 12:26 PM. Reason: thought of something to add
    "actually might have just fixed it, seems as if the culprit was leaving the new option of wifi on all the time, now that I put it back to shut off while in sleep mode battery seems to have normalized again, also did a network and prl update and reboot to round things off lol so far so good, well what it was before 1.4"

Nope, not it. I never have my wifi on, and i just checked my wifi setting and it is off. It is something else causing the absurd battery drain.
    Quote Originally Posted by methos123 View Post
    "actually might have just fixed it, seems as if the culprit was leaving the new option of wifi on all the time, now that I put it back to shut off while in sleep mode battery seems to have normalized again, also did a network and prl update and reboot to round things off lol so far so good, well what it was before 1.4"

Nope, not it. I never have my wifi on, and i just checked my wifi setting and it is off. It is something else causing the absurd battery drain.
    Agreed. I don't use WiFi either and I am having crazy battery drains. Within 4 hours I was down to 40% battery with a few email alerts coming through, and sent 2 SMS messages.

I have sent a log file already, and I see other users are too. Hopefully this will get addressed. My battery life is on par with 1.0.3
    Have to agree. My drain is pretty insane!!

Ive had 3 full charges since the update and I'm dead within 5-6 hrs with moderate IM, email as they arrive, web use, wifi at home only with sleep setting. Was getting 10-12 hours before.

Maybe I need the doctor. I was never able to cleanly remove mytether(free) so I wonder if some background process is still running. dunno if that even matters.

Also have switcharoo running to change wallpaper every 3 hours. What kind of effect does that have on battery?
    Quote Originally Posted by giograves View Post
    Have to agree. My drain is pretty insane!!

Ive had 3 full charges since the update and I'm dead within 5-6 hrs with moderate IM, email as they arrive, web use, wifi at home only with sleep setting. Was getting 10-12 hours before.

Maybe I need the doctor. I was never able to cleanly remove mytether(free) so I wonder if some background process is still running. dunno if that even matters.

Also have switcharoo running to change wallpaper every 3 hours. What kind of effect does that have on battery?
    I would get rid of switcharoo for awhile and see if that helps, also try some trial nd error on some of your apps in general as sometimes (like with the case of that app that tracks police radar traps, speedtrap or something like that caused a massive drain because it had a leak and somehow ran in the background)

Also makes sure brightness all the way down, shut off led light, email as arrives, screen to 30sec than off, wifi off when in sleep mode, than do a prl and network update and reboot and see if that helps ...

Also i am curious if people are letting there batteries completely drain out and die, this is one no no i have learned the hardway, the more you let it completely die out the worse the battery seems to get, try and keep it charged at all times and try not to let it die to the point where you get the huge battery icon ...

Other things i have noticed since day 1, some programs like Nav cannot be let running in the background or it will completely wipe out the battery, same goes with heavy texting unfortunately all day long as i have found out that to be a major drainer as well ... lastly and this one is huge being in a low signal area, to the point of in and out coverage seems to really get the battery draining even within an area of wifi at this point (wasn't like that before which is a change since 1.3.5.1) usually before wifi saved my battery in a bad service area,

its alot better now that i changed the wifi option but i still have a feeling if i do some moderate usage during the day it won't last ... maybe i should also play with shutting down led notifications and see if that helps ...
    R.I.P Palm Centro (6.5.09)
    New Pre Owner (6.6.09)

Quote Originally Posted by Impulsebuyer View Post
    I would get rid of switcharoo for awhile and see if that helps, also try some trial nd error on some of your apps in general as sometimes (like with the case of that app that tracks police radar traps, speedtrap or something like that caused a massive drain because it had a leak and somehow ran in the background)

Also makes sure brightness all the way down, shut off led light, email as arrives, screen to 30sec than off, wifi off when in sleep mode, than do a prl and network update and reboot and see if that helps ...

Also i am curious if people are letting there batteries completely drain out and die, this is one no no i have learned the hardway, the more you let it completely die out the worse the battery seems to get, try and keep it charged at all times and try not to let it die to the point where you get the huge battery icon ...

Other things i have noticed since day 1, some programs like Nav cannot be let running in the background or it will completely wipe out the battery, same goes with heavy texting unfortunately all day long as i have found out that to be a major drainer as well ... lastly and this one is huge being in a low signal area, to the point of in and out coverage seems to really get the battery draining even within an area of wifi at this point (wasn't like that before which is a change since 1.3.5.1) usually before wifi saved my battery in a bad service area,

its alot better now that i changed the wifi option but i still have a feeling if i do some moderate usage during the day it won't last ... maybe i should also play with shutting down led notifications and see if that helps ...
    I have Switcharoo installed on my Pre, but I did turn it off a few days ago, and did a restart to make sure that app wasn't running and my battery drain didn't change at all.

Once I am 100% understanding the backup process of SMS, Call Logs, etc from my Pre I'm going to visit the Dr. to see if that will cure my battery drain issues.
    I had an amazing improvement in battery life when using wi-fi after upgrading to 1.4. Before when I left my phone alone with email set to as they arrive and getting a few texts phone would make it through an 18 hour day with about 25% left, after 1.4 upgrade after an 18 hour day I had 73% left!!! Before 1.4 there wasn't any noticeable difference in battery life for me when I enabled wi-fi or had it switched off.
    try suggestions on totallypalmed.com for better battery life. The email definitely affects battery life. I have noticed better performance after tweaking the settings.
    I noticed after the update, my Sprint Branded car charger wont seem to recognize the phone now? It was sometimes iffy to charge (got it off ebay), but now it wont even charge. My overall battery seems to be pretty good though since 1.4 but this is annoying. Anyone else?
    Any GPS enabled program will wipe out my battery faster than any of the three car chargers I have tried can replenish it. It is not a problem with the car, I have tested this in my brand new truck and my wife's sports car. It could be a problem with the chargers, but three bad ones? Unlikely. At best, it can almost hold the same charge it had when I started the app, just a slight drain. But eventually the GPS will suck the battery dry on anything but the house charger.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I would be happy to submit a log file if someone would tell me how to do it and who to submit it to. I am thinking of going back to 1.3.5.1. Today on a trip from Atlanta to NYC (1 hour and 45 minutes roughly) I turned my phone on Airplane mode ... do this all the time so I know I did it right ... it burned 13% of the battery in Airplane mode during the trip. Nothing turned on, no phone, no data, no wi-fi ... it was Airplane mode. Something is definitely wrong. So, if anyone can take a look at this ... happy to get some help. Otherwise, I may doctor myself back to 1.3.5.1 where I had very good battery life. If that doesn't work ... likely will throw it out the window!
    I am burning through battery like crazy as well! Maybe 10-12% an hour. I have no apps installed but PreWare, People of Wallyworld, and Guns of War. A few cosmetic patches and a theme. Basically the same stuff I had with 1.3.5.1. Horrible battery life. I don't use it for much email, both are set for manual. I don't leave my GPS on unless I need it. The phone is dimmed as low as it can go and its on 30 second sleep. No wifi, almost ever. I have day one battery life on a 1.4 system. Why oh why is it this bad for some of us but not for others? I remember when 1.3.5 came out almost everyone complained about battery issues. Now it's a 60-40 split it seems. I really hope they are working on 1.4.1 to include a separate app for the video cam!
    I also agree that battery life is worse with 1.4 - I do use push email via exchange and I know this kills the batter as it did on my Nokia E71. Still the Pre is an amazing smart phone and I will eagerly wait for the next patch which will hopefully work on the battery life.
    Danny Bluestone
    www.cyber-duck.co.uk
    My battery life is far worse. Have had the Pre since June 5, 2009 (yep, got it at the launch party!), and have generally had good battery life since the beginning. Since 1.4, with nothing else changed (and with blink notifications turned off), it's draining hella fast. Figured maybe an app wasn't 1.4-compliant and is draining battery as a background process, but can't identify which app is doing that. I suspect and hope that Palm will come out with a quick 0.0.1 update that fixes a small problem they've discovered!
    My battery life was/is completely horrendous after 1.4!!!!!

I now have set wifi to turn off when the screen is off and also updated the PRL and network settings. This seems to have improved battery drain marginally. But it was much better with 1.3.5.1. I recommend trying those 3 things.
    I've been seeing battery drains of 10%+ per hour since I updated on Saturday morning. Today I got my 20% battery remaining warning after less than 8 hours off my Touchstone, with only one 15-minute call, receiving half a dozen or so text messages and 15-20 emails, and a few minutes here and there of Web browsing. No photos, video or GPS. In fact, I've had to turn GPS and WiFi completely off to preserve battery life, something I haven't had to do since (I think) 1.2. Under 1.3.5.1 I usually made it back home from work with 30-40% battery remaining, but tonight I had to pull my car charger out of the glove compartment (for the first time in months) to keep my Pre from powering down during the drive.

I've sent a PM to HardBeatZ and received instructions on how to send a log file, but I'm a bit hesitant to do so without knowing what the (encrypted) file contains. I'd trust Palm with my personal information more than, say, Apple or Microsoft, but still...
    4 pre's, all about same or slightly worse battery life with 1.4

My Day: Begin 7 AM
    1. Pandora 20 minutes in teh AM while getting ready (WiFi)
    2. Push email on, probably receive 40+ emails a day (3g) = 2 accounts as items arrive (GMAIL)
    3. Intermittent-moderate web and facebook checking thruout the day
    4. 2 brief phone calls
    5. 20 SMS messages a day

Used to make it til 7 pm, now only to 5-6PM. Have Wi-fi sleep option turned on. Callpod's Fueltank DUO was my friend. I wore it out to the point the connectors broke. Gonna look at the Fueltank UNO now
    Well I was unaware of the the "sleep option" in the preferences of the wifi settings until this morning. Mine was turned on when in sleep mode. I turned it off, and will see if that helps any. I have been using the battery monitor app, and have been getting about 11.50% drain/hour with the phone being constantly checked....so it was not in sleep for very long, and no apps but the battery monitor on. I was at 32%/hour while preware was on!
    I bet you if you left your pre on the charger while using pandora that would help, also 20 sms messages a day is enough to drain as well especially if you are going back and forth with them, 1 sms for me even before 1.4 on and off day drained me out pretty good..

also hows your service area where you use the phone if it's low signal eben in wifi you will still see bigger loses

Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    4 pre's, all about same or slightly worse battery life with 1.4

My Day: Begin 7 AM
    1. Pandora 20 minutes in teh AM while getting ready (WiFi)
    2. Push email on, probably receive 40+ emails a day (3g) = 2 accounts as items arrive (GMAIL)
    3. Intermittent-moderate web and facebook checking thruout the day
    4. 2 brief phone calls
    5. 20 SMS messages a day

Used to make it til 7 pm, now only to 5-6PM. Have Wi-fi sleep option turned on. Callpod's Fueltank DUO was my friend. I wore it out to the point the connectors broke. Gonna look at the Fueltank UNO now
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpcroft View Post
    mine seems worse? Took the pre from my touchstone yhis morning so i know it was 100% installed 1.4 at about 8.30am followed by NFS free and Monopoly free. Been having a bit of a play with the games and video and already battery is down to 42%!!!
    all downloads done over wifi so i've lost nearly 60% in 2 hours :-(
    I got my phone brand new on Monday, did the update immediately. I have worked 12 plus hours Tuesday and Wednesday, and have been at around 40 percent battery life or better at the end of the day.