Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    My battery life has also improved. Lost about 18% last night over 8 hours of not using it, with Wi-Fi on the entire time. I'm going to try the Wi-Fi sleep setting tomorrow night and see if that further improves it. Battery life has come a LONG WAY since Day 1.
    IMO something happened with 1.4 and battery life in low signal areas. Before the update I was doing well, but now it's pulling 10% an hour (even when i force it to roam only it is pulling a lot more power than before the update).

When my phone is idle in a good signal area it is on par with 1.3.x and pulls about 2%/hr

No big deal since I keep my phone plugged into my computer with a USB cable to charge it back up.

Bluetooth is off, wifi is off, the screen is set to the dimmest it will go and that is set to turn off after 30 seconds.
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    My battery life has been absolutely horrible since 1.4. Right now I have been awake for about 2 hours and have used my phone very light compared to normal because yesterday it died very quick so i thought maybe i used it more than i realized. well as of right now with far less use than before i am sitting at 65%. usually i would have just maybe dropped below 80% with my usual use. something has gone horribly wrong for me and my pre since 1.4. what since is it to have a phone and be scared to death to use it because you get 20% an hour battery drain alreday doing almost nothing.
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fastamx79 View Post
    IMO something happened with 1.4 and battery life in low signal areas. Before the update I was doing well, but now it's pulling 10% an hour (even when i force it to roam only it is pulling a lot more power than before the update).

When my phone is idle in a good signal area it is on par with 1.3.x and pulls about 2%/hr

No big deal since I keep my phone plugged into my computer with a USB cable to charge it back up.

Bluetooth is off, wifi is off, the screen is set to the dimmest it will go and that is set to turn off after 30 seconds.
    sounds like fun, you have an awesome device but it is just sitting there crippled because of horrible battery life.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Battery life yesterday was pretty tough, again. It made it the whole day, but was well below where the same amount of normal use would have put me prior to 1.4. So, last night I used WebOS Doctor to try and fix things. No problems with the Doctor, but arguably my battery life is even worse than what it was before the WebOS Doctor. This morning I unplugged from the wall at 740am ... by 940am roughly 25% was consumed. I don't have WIFI on, don't have GPS on, and my gmail and exchange accounts sync once an hour. I'm really frustrated as my phone's battery has been very good, very stable up to the point of the 1.4 upgrade. It makes no sense to me. I suppose I need to give it a couple of days, but if this does not resolve itself ... will have to explore other options, which disappoints me as I really do like WebOS / Pre.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    One other question, does anyone have advice on sync schedules? I see conflicting reports of whether it is better to grab email "once an hour" versus "as items arrive". What is the thought behind one or the other? Advice?
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    I've read these sort of reports each time we have an update ("its better", "its worse") but I've never really noticed much of any change at all. However, with 1.4 I'm certainly seeing a huge drain myself. I let it ride a few days (with several reboots to make sure I am not in a bad state) and its for real.

The phone sits on the touchstone all evening at home. When I go to bed, I pull it from the touchstone and put it in airplane mode. I'm at 100% at this point. This has been my ritual since launch day last June. 7 hours later I wake up and its at 83%. Prior to 1.4 I would only lose 2 or 3 percent TOPS! Now I'm losing upwards of 17% and all the phone radios are OFF!

Something changed big time - for me anyway.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
    I've read these sort of reports each time we have an update ("its better", "its worse") but I've never really noticed much of any change at all. However, with 1.4 I'm certainly seeing a huge drain myself. I let it ride a few days (with several reboots to make sure I am not in a bad state) and its for real.

The phone sits on the touchstone all evening at home. When I go to bed, I pull it from the touchstone and put it in airplane mode. I'm at 100% at this point. This has been my ritual since launch day last June. 7 hours later I wake up and its at 83%. Prior to 1.4 I would only lose 2 or 3 percent TOPS! Now I'm losing upwards of 17% and all the phone radios are OFF!

Something changed big time - for me anyway.
    Same situation for me.
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    I was wondering if maybe the video camera could be pulled out and installed on 1.3.5.1 so i can get my mobile hotspot and battery life back that 1.4 robbed from me, cause once again my pre is about to make me throw it through a window. (not really i love the thing!) Oh and how do you get to set your avatar picture?
    Hmm I thought everybody would be so happy about the battery life, it turned
    out that there are quite a few complaints.

My battery life has increased a lot since I upgraded to 1.4.

I used to get about 10-11 hours under normal usage (emails set to "as items arrive", text msg, internet), now I get 24 hours!

Also, I overclocked it to 600mhz yesterday, I'll see how it goes.
    The battery still shows 69% left after 14 hours since the overclocking.
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicedog View Post
    Hmm I thought everybody would be so happy about the battery life, it turned
    out that there are quite a few complaints.

My battery life has increased a lot since I upgraded to 1.4.

I used to get about 10-11 hours under normal usage (emails set to "as items arrive", text msg, internet), now I get 24 hours!

Also, I overclocked it to 600mhz yesterday, I'll see how it goes.
    The battery still shows 69% left after 14 hours since the overclocking.
    That is absolutely insane. there is no way, if i used the phone like you say even before 1.4 it would be on the charger before 1pm easily. when you say as items arrive, and text message, and internet, do you mean like 1 text message and maybe check out 1 mobile site like p|c for like 5 seconds???
    i agree to the battery charge drain cycle. normally after the update the first few charges the battery will be lower. using another battery also helps
    (switch around)
    can anyone explain why?
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I am having the same problems. I am noticing that the email program is my biggest consumer of power. It is even consuming more than streaming radio. Go figure.
    I have been making sure I keep my cards closed. It has helped.
    I doctored my pre shortly after 1.4 (my falt) and was hoping that I would see the improved battery life but instead all Iv noticed is whats been said above, the screen off in pocket battery will last forever but the second I pull it out and look up a website of check email Im down to 50% before i know what happened.

currently today off the charger at 6:30 moderate use and listening to music for an hour and Im at 54% witch is not bad for me normally but still shouldn't have to ration my battery because Im in school from 7 to 10 (after school drama show week) and last night I got home with only 14% I have looked up 4 pages in the web browser so far but it still seams like when I use the phone it dies much to fast.

600mhz on 1.3.5.last one I was getting amazing battery life, like a full day (6 hourswith 2 hours of music in it) and still getting home with 70% left
    My battery life is way better with 1.4. I feel like Palm somehow sent me an extended battery with the update. The update took long enough for this to be a reality. They must have found a way to swap out the battery during an update
    On 1.3.5 I would take it off the charger at about 10pm. I keep GPS off. At 8:30 AM it would still be at 100%, at that point I turn data off until after I get to work and get my early morning work done, then data goes back on and I don't do much but IM/SMS with the occasional website. After 1.4 I'm down to 97% when the alarm goes off in the morning and the battery "seems" to be dropping faster. However, I have noticed that it seems to be dropping at a more regular pace rather than staying at 100 for a long time and then suddenly dropping. I'm assuming that the accuracy has just been improved, versus any actual change to battery life.
    so is the 600 mhz gud for battry life
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinn35 View Post
    That is absolutely insane. there is no way, if i used the phone like you say even before 1.4 it would be on the charger before 1pm easily. when you say as items arrive, and text message, and internet, do you mean like 1 text message and maybe check out 1 mobile site like p|c for like 5 seconds???
    No, it's not insane. And I'm telling the truth. I'm extremely happy with webos 1.4. I thought everybody was excited like me until I saw this discussion. I have over 100 emails(maybe more) per day (corporate and personal), 20 text messages, I browse some hot deal website once a while, maybe 10 times a day, and it's definitely not less than 1 second .

My phone used to be dead the next morning I woke up. Today it still showed 69% after 14 hours as I mentioned in my previous post.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I had 100% at 10:00 pm and at 6:00 am 8 hours later it was still at 100%. No I did not have it on a charger...
    Palm Pre OS 1.4.5 500/1000 MHz--Provider:Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwill View Post
    I had 100% at 10:00 pm and at 6:00 am 8 hours later it was still at 100%. No I did not have it on a charger...
    Wow... *as he looks at his battery meter*....
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast