Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    So I got my Pre working again with the 1.4.0 WebOS and Rebel Simcard. I have 3g data working and I can receive calls etc. And so far I haven't noticed any problems with my method. All that I did was re-flashed the modem with an older firmware. I have the GSM UK version of the phone, but I suspect that this works for others also. Instructions for what I did:

- First I downloaded the older 1.3.5.2 WebOS doctor (the correct O2 version) since this was last version that worked for me.

- Then I unpacked it and located castleumtsfw.tar file by unpacking the webOS.tar under the resources folder.

- Next I copied the file into /tmp directory on my Pre using novacom.

- Then I connected to my phone using the novacom and entered the following command:

/usr/bin/PmModemUpdater -m -e </tmp/castleumtsfw.tar

After 2 nerwrecking minutes the process was done and I had mine 3g working again. So no need to flash the whole OS, it is enough just to flash the modem fw.

wish i'd waited.....this seems like a much easier method

nevermind i'll revert back to O2 fw after next webos update
    Quote Originally Posted by stevepoulter View Post
    wish i'd waited.....this seems like a much easier method

nevermind i'll revert back to O2 fw after next webos update
    Yes it took whole 5 minutes for me to do this once I got the idea Sorry I did not have it earlier...
    Excuse for the question, but, how I can connect to the pre to put the commands this?

- Then I connected to my phone using the novacom and entered the following command:

Quote Originally Posted by tacor View Post
    Excuse for the question, but, how I can connect to the pre to put the commands this?

Your Pre needs to be in developer mode and you need to have the novacom terminal client on your PC. Novacom is available from Palm developer site and you need to connect the phone via USB on your PC.

Or if you have WQI it has also a console which you can use to access the Pre, but I haven't tried that. Or if you have ssh server on your Pre then you can use ssh too. I am not sure about these other connection ways will they work or is the novacom connection needed somehow, but I guess no.

I guess it would be also possible to replace the castleumtsfw.tar in the WebOS Doctor and then use that to flash the whole thing. Maybe other know easier ways to connect your Pre, but for me the novacom was the easiest since I use it all the time while developing for Pre.
    would you sugest me a tutorial to connect the palm pre??

I have the manual of novaproxy and putty software.. but I dont know if this is the best!
    would you sugest me a tutorial to connect the palm pre??

I have the manual of novaproxy and putty software.. but I dont know if this is the best!
    I guess that installing WebOS quick install in Windows should install novacom also, but I really don't know since I am not a Windows user. Maybe the procedure described on following url should also work:
    Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals

If you were Linux user I could give a easy three step instructions to access the phone, but not for windows. Sorry
    What about this tutorial???

Type in the Konami code on your Pre (upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart) to access the Developer Mode application. A blue developer icon will pop up on the Pre
    Open the Developer Mode application on your Pre and enable the Developer Mode switch, resetting the device when prompted.
    Connect the Pre to your PC using a USB cable. Choose the option to "Just Charge". Windows should see a new device called Palm Novacom and automatically install the drivers for it. If you are asked to locate the drivers yourself, they are in C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc\novacom\x86 (for 32-bit Windows) or C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc\novacom\amd64 (for 64-bit Windows).
    If you installed Python with all the default choices, you can simply double-click the novaproxy.py file to start Novaproxy. Otherwise, bring up a command prompt window, cd to the location in which you extracted the zip file, then type python novaproxy.py to run the script.
    The script will execute and provide further instructions. If it tells you it's listening on a localhost port (usually 8023), everything is working. Be sure not to close this window.
    If the script does not work, or tells you there is a problem and the provided instructions don't help, join our IRC channel (irc.freenode.net #webos-internals) and feel free to ask for help.
    Run putty.exe
    In PuTTY's Host Name box, type localhost and select a connection type of RAW. In the Port box, type the port that Novaproxy says it's listening on (usually 8023).
    Click on Terminal in the treeview on the left, and under Line discipline options, set both Local echo and Local line editing to Force off.
    If you want to save these settings so you don't have to set them again later, click on Session in the left treeview, enter a name for your saved connection (such as "MyPre") in the Saved Sessions box, and click the Save button. The next time you want to connect, start Novaproxy, then launch PuTTY and double-click the saved connection.
    Click the big Open button. Novaproxy should indicate it is connecting, and PuTTY should show a root prompt that looks like this:
    root@castle:/#

Ive readed your tutorial, and its easiest. no??
    Last edited by tacor; 03/02/2010 at 04:19 PM. Reason: complete
    What about this tutorial???

Sounds fine to me.
    When I have a window with a prompt that says root@webos-device

now I enter the following command:

is it Correct??. (but I must have copied the file into /tmp directory on my Pre using novacom, right??

please forgive me, Im new user with the palm pre!.
    When I have a window with a prompt that says root@webos-device

now I enter the following command:

is it Correct??. (but I must have copied the file into /tmp directory on my Pre using novacom, right??

please forgive me, Im new user with the palm pre!.
    Yes you need to have copied that file into /tmp. At least WebOS quick install has a easy way of sending files to your phone or you can just copy it to your Pre in USB mode and then just use different path. Which I think is /media/internal/castleumtsfw.tar. Or move it manually to tmp from /media/internal to be on safe side. If you aren't familiar with linux the command would be: mv /media/internal/castleumtsfw.tar /tmp/
    Im trying too copy castleumtsfw.tar in my pre with webos quick install.. but can you say me the exactly root where I have to copy castleumtsfw.tar i my pre.. ???? soo i only ust copy this and put on the program... thanks
    Im trying too copy castleumtsfw.tar in my pre with webos quick install.. but can you say me the exactly root where I have to copy castleumtsfw.tar i my pre.. ???? soo i only ust copy this and put on the program... thanks
    Not sure if I follow what you want to know, but in WQI there is send file in the menu. For the file you select the castleumtsfw.tar and as a destination folder you would set: /tmp

Then on the novacom console you can check that the file is there by: ls /tmp/

And just in case I hope you have noticed that my instructions were for GMS Pre. The casteumtsfw.tar is for GMS Pre and the file name is different for none GSM Pre's, but if you took the correct doctor for you Pre then there should only be included the correct file for your device. But just making sure since I don't know what happens is somebody tries to flash with wrong modem fw.
    Brilliant solution, sconix! It worked for me great! Flashed my Brittish O2 Pre modem with the 1.3.5.2 firmware and the data icon is back! No more "SOS only"

My network is Vodafone Czech so I can't test the 3G (only in Prague, I don't live there) but the phone behaves exactly as on the older webOS release. Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by czechdev View Post
    Brilliant solution, sconix! It worked for me great! Flashed my Brittish O2 Pre modem with the 1.3.5.2 firmware and the data icon is back! No more "SOS only"

My network is Vodafone Czech so I can't test the 3G (only in Prague, I don't live there) but the phone behaves exactly as on the older webOS release. Thank you!
    Thanks, and I think it should work in every case at least I don't see any reason why it wouldn't. Now if some brave one would try replacing the modem tar file in WebOS Doctor image and see if it works that way too (I think it'll will). Then meta-doctor could be updated to include this "hack" until RSC comes up with working solution.
  15.    #175  
    Thanks, and I think it should work in every case at least I don't see any reason why it wouldn't. Now if some brave one would try replacing the modem tar file in WebOS Doctor image and see if it works that way too (I think it'll will). Then meta-doctor could be updated to include this "hack" until RSC comes up with working solution.
    Ive just tried putting putting the castleumtsfw.tar from 1.3.5.2 into the 1.4 Doctor and reflashing but it would only go to 1% and get stuck. Has the wr.tar file anything to do with it do you think?

Gx
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffinx View Post
    Ive just tried putting putting the castleumtsfw.tar from 1.3.5.2 into the 1.4 Doctor and reflashing but it would only go to 1% and get stuck. Has the wr.tar file anything to do with it do you think?

Gx
    I just looked into wr.tar and I don't think that it is stopping it from working. Since it looks like that it only holds files that are installed on the device after the initial flash. Since there is also the modem fw located in /usr/lib which those packages seem to install, but I am pretty sure that the one in webOS.tar is used when flashing the device. Any way even if it would use the one from those ipk's in wr.tar I don't think it would cause the flash process to stop at 1%. I think it most likely is because some other file in webOS.tar that stops the process. It can be as simple as check for md5sum of modem fw file or something else. To say for sure I would need to dig into those file more closely, but I am very busy currently since I am going on holiday day after tomorrow. And don't want to use my Pre as a testing ground before the trip now when I got it back to working.
  17.    #177  
    I just looked into wr.tar and I don't think that it is stopping it from working. Since it looks like that it only holds files that are installed on the device after the initial flash. Since there is also the modem fw located in /usr/lib which those packages seem to install, but I am pretty sure that the one in webOS.tar is used when flashing the device. Any way even if it would use the one from those ipk's in wr.tar I don't think it would cause the flash process to stop at 1%. I think it most likely is because some other file in webOS.tar that stops the process. It can be as simple as check for md5sum of modem fw file or something else. To say for sure I would need to dig into those file more closely, but I am very busy currently since I am going on holiday day after tomorrow. And don't want to use my Pre as a testing ground before the trip now when I got it back to working.
    Cool...enjoy your holiday and thanks again for the tip.

Gx
    Haven't tried it yet, but Sconix is a genius. Are we able to give out medals on this board? I'll be upgrading tomorrow morning.
    Just to add to the knowledge base here, my O2 Irelabd locked GSM Pre updated OTR to 1.4 and now alos will not work with the Rebel SIM on Vodafone IRL.

I have this minute put the SIM into my SIM only into a SE Satio and it works fine, so the SIM is all OK.

Based on the experiences of others here with mode switching on the RSC, I don't think I'll bother farting about with that as it seems not to produce any consistent results.

Can I ask, which WebDoctor version would be best to tackle the modem file switch for an Irish O2 Pre to work with the RSC?

Thanks
    A
    | Nullius in Verba|Treo 650 -> Treo 750V -> Treo Pro -> Pre -> Pre Plus |
    Quote Originally Posted by ascalon View Post
    Just to add to the knowledge base here, my O2 Irelabd locked GSM Pre updated OTR to 1.4 and now alos will not work with the Rebel SIM on Vodafone IRL.

I have this minute put the SIM into my SIM only into a SE Satio and it works fine, so the SIM is all OK.

Based on the experiences of others here with mode switching on the RSC, I don't think I'll bother farting about with that as it seems not to produce any consistent results.

Can I ask, which WebDoctor version would be best to tackle the modem file switch for an Irish O2 Pre to work with the RSC?

Thanks
    A
    sprint 1.2.1 or below
Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast