Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    I used it for one day, but 3 times, connection went away and the phone switched to sos mode(check sim). One time switching to Airplane mode and back was enough, but the other times I had to restart.

Do others experience the same problems?
    Quote Originally Posted by mark-dj View Post
    Hi, I've been following this thread with keen interest - I use RSC and it's stopped working for me too. I downgraded to 1.3.5.2 yesterday using webOS Doctor, but got fed up with the update icon not going away so tried the Sprint ROM method...I managed to flash ok, but it kept asking for the SIM pin every five seconds. Anyway, I updated OTA to 1.4.0 and it still kept on doing it, so I want to try reflashing the Sprint before I admit defeat and go back to 1.3.5.2...my question is, however: with WOSD, what am I doing wrong? Any version I try just will not get the 'next' button un-greyed (the final 'next' after the Novoterm Install and just before the actual re-flash)...I can't get it to work on either my iMac or my PowerBook, but it worked fine yesterday. Any ideas?

Thanks to all who have posted suggestions by the way, it's been a great help.
    It happened the same thing several times in a PC with Windows XP.

The solution:
    - With the task manager you must canceled the two processes, WOSD and novoterm.
    - Quit battery´s pre.
    - Conect your pre to pc and you must see a big battery with "?" inside in your pre.
    - Hold down "volume up" and at the same time put on the battery in the pre.
    - Now you must see a big usb simbol in your pre.
    - Now you must get free the "volume up" button.
    - Beging the process with WOSD.

- Good luck.
    Perhaps someone need this official link to downgrade webos version

Palm Support : Revert your phone to a previous version of webOS
    It happened the same thing several times in a PC with Windows XP.

The solution:
    - With the task manager you must canceled the two processes, WOSD and novoterm.
    - Quit battery´s pre.
    - Conect your pre to pc and you must see a big battery with "?" inside in your pre.
    - Hold down "volume up" and at the same time put on the battery in the pre.
    - Now you must see a big usb simbol in your pre.
    - Now you must get free the "volume up" button.
    - Beging the process with WOSD.

- Good luck.
    Thanks for the swift reply, I'd been fiddling in Windows so missed it...I've just just clicked 'Erase Apps and Settings'! No bother, if that doesn't work, your method should, so I'm feeling a bit more relieved.
    Quote Originally Posted by c_man View Post
    RSC stands for Rebel SIM Card - this is what most of us on this thread are using: Palm Unlock Sim

I notice their stance has changed from:

"Not compatiable with WebOS 1.4"
    to
    "Note Palm Pre firmware 1.4 Not Supported yet for 3G but our R&D Team are working on this."
    My research has shown this issue dates back to Telcel GSM WebOS version 1.2.5. If the folks at RSC had listened to me when I championed them to the cause after Telcel WebOS 1.2.5 was released, we would not have this problem with WebOS 1.4.0 and RSC.

RebelSIM card's response after testing my Telcel Pre with my AT&T SIM for a week: " The Palm Pre hardware is no different between GSM versions. It must be a problem with the 128k SIM's, there is nothing wrong with the RebelSIM card. It allows use of 'ALL' UK and EU SIM's in the Palm Pre hardware.".

We already knew the communication boards (hardware) are different in the EU and the NA GSM Pre's. Since the release of 1.4.0, RSC now has a much larger case sample to examine, which might seem like good news to them, but it's definately bad news for all of us!

Thanks,
    Barry
    Good info Baz thanks. Regarding the "bad news for us", do you mean because we're likely to have to spend again with Rebel to get a version that works with 1.4?
    Quote Originally Posted by c_man View Post
    Nice, good work, may I ask where you got 'working' APN details from? Were they contained in the carrier database previously posted somewhere on this forum?
    I reckon its worth a shot for everyone still getting SOS Only / Phone Offline to try entering APN settings manually...
    The APN settings is only the APN name and username/pass which my carrier describe on their support website. I just type it in the Phone properties application card as manual settings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stocko View Post
    Good info Baz thanks. Regarding the "bad news for us", do you mean because we're likely to have to spend again with Rebel to get a version that works with 1.4?
    No, I am not saying that at all.

What I am saying the bad news for us (us being anyone with a Locked GSM Pre using a RSC who's suffering SOS/No Service after installing WebOS 1.4.0) is that this problem could have been researched more diligently by the RSC team when it was brought to their attention with WebOS 1.2.5 for the Telcel GSM Palm Pre, instead of offering a response after testing my locked Telcel Palm Pre for a week stating "that it had nothing to do with the RSC", brushing it off as "a problem with some 128k SIM cards"!

Believe me, I do feel the pain all of you have been suffering. I have much more than the cost of a RebelSIM card and a locked Palm Pre invested in this. I spent hundreds of $$$ for express International shipping of my Pre and it's non-authorized carrier SIM to RSC for examination back in early January, plus after RSC responded telling us that it was a "SIM card problem, not a problem with the RSC" I purchased a boatload of various SIM cards trying to get past the problem.

Though I must confess here, I never flashed my Pre with the Sprint 1.04 WebOS doctor. That appears to be the workaround for the modem initialization problem, and had I done so, I might have had my Telcel GSM Palm Pre working on AT&T with 3G. Furthest image I went back to was the EU 1.1.3 WebOS Doctor.

Thanks,
    Barry
  9.    #149  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Seems to me the simplest way to get to 1.4.x would be to use a meta-doctored 1.4 file with the modem initialization disabled in the Make file.
    Barry,
    Have you made any progress on this? Are you in a position to create the new 1.4 .jar file with the GSM 1.4 doctor?

Gx
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffinx View Post
    Barry,
    Have you made any progress on this? Are you in a position to create the new 1.4 .jar file with the GSM 1.4 doctor?

Gx
    If anyone can point me in the right direction of what to change I have the 1.4 and 1.3.5 here ready to do the necessary and test?
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    I was actually tempted to use this 'downtime' as a window to send my Pre back to O2 repairs for the annoyance known as Oreo Effect. But.....

Quote Originally Posted by paulhelyerpre View Post
    If anyone can point me in the right direction of what to change I have the 1.4 and 1.3.5 here ready to do the necessary and test?
    I should be able to/am willing to help out if more 'hands on deck' are needed.
    Just let me know.
    Hello guys, i'm using a Movistar Pre with a rebel simcard in Norway.

My company is Chess that use the net of Netcom.

I have the symbol R(roaming), i can call the people but i can receive calls, any idea?

It is working for 14 hours
    Quote Originally Posted by alberperez View Post
    Hello guys, i'm using a Movistar Pre with a rebel simcard in Norway.

My company is Chess that use the net of Netcom.

I have the symbol R(roaming), i can call the people but i can receive calls, any idea?

It is working for 14 hours
    Currently the rebel simcard and 1.4.0 are not playing well together. The 3G is not working with this combination. So no data connection and to be able to receive calls you have to disable usage of 3G networks from phone preferences. When network type is set to 2G only then at least I am able to make and receive calls.
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    Currently the rebel simcard and 1.4.0 are not playing well together. The 3G is not working with this combination. So no data connection and to be able to receive calls you have to disable usage of 3G networks from phone preferences. When network type is set to 2G only then at least I am able to make and receive calls.
    thank you very much, right now i can receive calls.

My regards
    The RSC behaves really weird. When I updated my phone to 1.4.0, it showed the "R" icon but worked normally (the Czech Vodafone doesn't offer 3G). After some time, the data service stopped working and now it doesn't even connect to the network - SOS only. Restarting or manually selecting the network doesn't help. I think I'll try the 1.0.4 or the Telcel reflash guide...
    Having spent the afternoon looking at the 1.3.5 and 1.4 webos doctors looking for some differences in the Modem settings I have come to the conclusion that I have no idea what I am looking for *sigh*
    Is this an option, putting the 1.4 tar files in 1.3.5 or am I misunderstanding it?

http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...cel-pre-d.html
    I have working 3g now with 1.4.0 What I did was re-flashed the modem with fw from 1.3.5.2. So far everything seems working. I do some more tests and post instructions if this really works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rosenberger View Post
    Confirmed working workaround for the Rebel incompatibility with O2 Locked Pre's and WebOS 1.4.0:
    Get this file:
    Here is my log:
    10:00 Doctored a O2Locked GSM to Sprint 1.0.4 with activation disabled.
    (With This OS you can enable WiFi to login to your Profile. If WiFi is enabled, and you are logged into your router, reboot, because the Back gesture will not work)
    10:30 Got SOS only, but after toggeling 'Auto network, and re-selecting my carrier, it can back to 'vodafone NL'
    10:33 Started Downloading OTA update to 1.4.0 (150 Mb) using WiFi (now skipping 1.3.5.1)
    10:58 Installing WebOS 1.4.0 (Sprint)
    11:15 Booting..... This takes forever....
    11:19 Booted.... Finally Works like a baby, no problems anymore.
    11:21 I can confirm this is a working workaround for at least KPN and VodaFone NL, hope others are reporting soon in this thread.
    Hi guys,

I have been reading this thread very carefully and doing my research before I tried anything.

I am currently running an O2 locked pre with a Vodafone UK sim through a RSC (current status coming up...)

Up until the Webos 1.4.0 update the pre was working perfectly - all phone functions working as they should.

AFTER the Webos update (1.4.0) the Vodafone UK sim continued to work (with the RSC MODE 1) but no 3G/G just 'Roaming' - I did nothing to make it work it just worked - NO SOS problems/requests for network code. So all phone functions were working except DATA. I could make/accept calls, send texts/MMS and browse the internet through WIFI (not Vodafone network).

The only problems I was having was the fact when someone tried to call me it would take a while to connect or sometimes say I was out of network area - even through I had good signal. I tested this by calling myself off another phone. But calls would come through more often than not. Also sometimes SMS's would take 15 mins (approx) to get to my phone. So apart from these little problems and no DATA all functions were working post Webos 1.4.0. - these issues could be network issues and coincidental.

NOW....

I had a pre working through 'roaming' with webos 1.4.0 but the crucial thing was the fact I had no data away from WIFI - something I use all the time. I could not live like this was so after reading and reading and reading I decided to use the Sprint firmware method used by Richard.

1) I flashed to Sprint 1.0.4 - no problems first time

2) Used O2 sim card to log into Palm account - again no problems

3) After phone was running on O2 switched it off and inserted Vodafone UK sim with RSC

(Vodafone UK sim worked as it did pre 1.4.0 - all phone functions)

4) OTA updated to Sprint 1.4.0 through WIFI even though I had Vodafone 3G (only because it is quicker)

5) +++RESULT+++ - phone has its original working functions as per pre O2 1.4.0 firmware with the benefits of the 1.4.0 firmware (i.e. video recording)

I am now starting the process to remove the Sprint Apps.

NOTE: App cat working perfectly - all pre functions working perfectly.

I would say I am back but I never really lost anything apart from DATA...so I really should say I am DATA BACK.

Thanks for all the help guys
    So I got my Pre working again with the 1.4.0 WebOS and Rebel Simcard. I have 3g data working and I can receive calls etc. And so far I haven't noticed any problems with my method. All that I did was re-flashed the modem with an older firmware. I have the GSM UK version of the phone, but I suspect that this works for others also. Instructions for what I did:

- First I downloaded the older 1.3.5.2 WebOS doctor (the correct O2 version) since this was last version that worked for me.

- Then I unpacked it and located castleumtsfw.tar file by unpacking the webOS.tar under the resources folder.

- Next I copied the file into /tmp directory on my Pre using novacom.

- Then I connected to my phone using the novacom and entered the following command:

/usr/bin/PmModemUpdater -m -e </tmp/castleumtsfw.tar

After 2 nerwrecking minutes the process was done and I had mine 3g working again. So no need to flash the whole OS, it is enough just to flash the modem fw.
    Last edited by sconix; 03/02/2010 at 02:43 PM.
Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast