Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152021222324252627 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pauljh View Post
    OK...thanks for the advice..am still a bit new to this - so would appreciate if you can tell me how I can either check the current install or re-doctor to 1.4.1 ? (as checking for updates now just tells me I am on fully up to date, despite being on 1.4.0) Is there a doctor available to download and upgrade to 1.4.1 at this point?
    ..realised after I posted this that I'm sure 'how' to do this has been asked and posted many times before (apologies!)...so I did some reading and have figured it out...my only problem now is I want to try to repair my pre on 1.4.0 to see if this works before upgrading to 1.4.1 - but I cannot find a link to 1.4.0 anywhere (all old links seem to be dead) - does anyone know where I can find webos 1.4.0 for O2 ? thanks...
    Richard and Tomi, just to give you an update on my status:
    I was right in that my RSC got damaged. Probably due to inserting in and out a zillion times to get keys reset. Believe it or not but the guy I bought it from send me a new rebel.
    This worked like a charm, but after trying out some apps I'm back to 'SOS only'. I don't get the 'check SIM' anymore and do have access to my SIM numbers. I will drive to Zaltbommel later (to get a pre for my girl) but would like to use nextgen now since I just need my phone. Is this a good idea, since nextgen support is not reachable by phone it would emply there might be issue to?
    Palm Pre baseband downgrade Tool how to Guide for Web OS 1.4/1.4.1

You can use this Tool Free if you have a rebel simcard II and can downgrade the Baseband of the 1.4/1.4.1 Palm Pre Web OS and then have full 3G and network renewal functions enabled once again like it was on the 1.3.5 firmware.

Another option this software supplies you with is if you want to block out future auto updates of the Palm Web OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    I have no idea what the current status is on the unlock situation. Haven't spoken to Max for a while.
    Worst situation is you could buy a locked QWERTY for EUR 280, unlock client for GBP 20, and you can't get it to work. But you're going to Richard @Zaltbommel, right?
    What's the problem then?
    Going to Richard is the problem. I'm working in Den Haag, he is available during buss hours in ZB.
    I'm up for your(any) suggestion to get my phone working and a phone (working) for my girl....
    Is the client working?
    Side note:
    I'm struggling for almost 6 weeks now (non stop) where I had already 1 broken USB cable and broken RSC. I will have to draw the line somewhere, I'm only so patient...
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpre_user View Post
    on twitter for rebelsims

FREE Update Automatic Baseband Downgrade Application Releasing This Week For all Palm Pre Users To Use the Latest 1.4.1 Firmware Easier
    17 minutes ago via web on twitter

if you have a RSC then hold tight as this new application will make is much easier to do a baseband downgrade
    I am in Ireland with a Pre with RSC II. I had been successfully using this with a Vodafone sim with WebOS 1.3.5.2, having to rewind it after a couple of auto updates, but it updated yesterday and wouldn't log into my Palm Profile so after some searching, it looks like my profile updated to 1.4. I WebOS doctored back to 1.3.5.2 but have lost my profile.

I have been trying the RSC solution as above but I keep getting a 'Failed' notification on restarting the modem, over and over and over. What WebOS should I be running to run the RSC Baseband downgrade?

You can use this Tool Free if you have a rebel simcard II and can downgrade the Baseband of the 1.4/1.4.1 Palm Pre Web OS and then have full 3G and network renewal functions enabled once again like it was on the 1.3.5 firmware.

Another option this software supplies you with is if you want to block out future auto updates of the Palm Web OS.
    Interesting you instruct your users not to connect the Pre to the Phone. How is that possible? I know you meant PC, however reading your blog brings back bad memories of the Telcel Palm Pre I sent off to you in January 2010 at my expense along with a AT&T SIM card, a Telcel SIM card (both had voice and data services added which were tested functional in other devices), and a Rebel SIM Card II.

After a week or 10 days of testing, you sent my Telcel Palm Pre, along with the AT&T SIM card, the Telcel SIM card, and a couple of RSC's back to me with an explanation that you could not get the Rebel SIM Card to work as an unlock solution for AT&T adding there is nothing wrong with the Rebel SIM card, it must be a problem with those North American 128K SIM cards.

Now you have the nerve to promote your product on this site with the tag lines: Palm Pre AT&T Unlock. Based on the experiences of myself and others who've attempted to use your product to unlock a Telcel pre on that carriers network, your claims constitute false advertising.

The information contained in this posting is based on the real life experiences of myself, and several members here who have done business with your company. We have had direct communications with your company, it's support staff and Adnan. All of this has been well documented in other threads.

Furthermore, the statements made in this post are documented by actual email from you and Adnan, to members of the community here and posted as received in other threads here.

Before I finish, it's important that I make something very clear. This thread posting expresses my own personal opinions, one that's also shared by several other members of this community and doesn't represent the positions, or opinions of PreCentral.net, or of AT&T.
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 04/22/2010 at 10:28 AM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  7.    #487  
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsfire View Post
    Hi everyone.
    I am running Windows XP Pro and the O2 umts version of the Palm.
    I tried to re flash the modem without success using novacmd and aborted .
    Now I cannot recover at all with any method I have seen. I am trying using novacom to access the palm device and WebOSQuickInstall to move files.
    The webOSDoctor fails at 58% and I can see from the palm log that Palm WEBOSDoctor cannot flash the modem. I have tried versions 1.3.5.2 and 1.4.0
    I always have to start with an attempt at WebOSDoctor because the phone is only the novacom boot type and showing the USB icon when 1st pugged in. After that I use novacom.
    When I use the -f option I can seen that there is no modem to start with. If I repeat it there is still no modem being updated. Options like -m just go round in circles. Commands like PmLinuxModemCmd do not seem to exist.
    PmModemUpdater -v gives 'phone state unknown' and is unable to open the ports to the modem to probe it.
    I have also seen 'modem in download mode' show for some methods.
    I regularly see sh:/sbin/start: not found and similar as if the system lacks commands it needs.

It looks as if the modem cannot be flashed in its current state and does not report back. Does anyone have an idea how to break the modem out of its current condition so i can try to flash it again.

Im having the same problem now after unlocking with NextGenServer. Im not sure if the two are related but the phone modem wont respond in any fashion to PmModemUpdater and the phone reports Phone Offline. I haven't yet tried a doctor but suspect it wont work as in your case above.

Did you find a solution to your original issue?

Gx
  8.    #488  
    Did you?
    Use your SIM before with an RSC?
    Then unlocked your Pre?
    Inserted your SIM without the RSC?
    Getting a Phone Offline message?
    Use your SIM before with an RSC?
    Yes
    Then unlocked your Pre?
    Yes
    Inserted your SIM without the RSC?
    Yes
    Getting a Phone Offline message
    Yes after trying PmModemUpdater

Gx
  9.    #489  
    Dumb question, did you reset your network codes? Richard's mentioned it a couple of times.
    Well the phone fails a doctor now so its going back to Palm for repair.

PS Anyone who says you cant brick your Pre, YOU CAN with PmModemUpdater.

Gx
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffinx View Post
    Well the phone fails a doctor now so its going back to Palm for repair.

PS Anyone who says you cant brick your Pre, YOU CAN with PmModemUpdater.

Gx
    i agree, i've got a PmModemUpdater "bricked" pre too
    Hi again after ages.
    Pre not sorted but I have one idea. If anyone could get me a modified webOSdoctor with the modem bit removed it might put something into the phone later in the process that would allow the normal webOSdoctor to run successfully and flash the modem. I got my phone on ebay so sending to palm is not an option. I'm not a Linux user so altering the doctor myself will be difficult.
    I was given a 1.1.3 webOSdoctor which seemed to run ok. However it still gave phone offline. Subsequent checks using novacom and PmModemUpdater showed modem not there and impossible to flash. A 1.4.1 WebOSDoctor attempt later failed at the modem flashing step. Presumably the old WebOSDoctor does not check the success of its modem activites. Net result is I am almost sure I have a brick.
    Knowing what I have tried, if you do intend to get Rebel working with 1.4.1 then use novacom which is stable and keeps the comms working throughout the process. (my problems started when one of the other tools failed part way through the flash process).

I found this tool a little bit unreliable. It wouldn't get the whole way through flashing the firmware on Vista Business 32bit. This lead to a bit of panic as I just got my Pre back from repair and thought I had bricked it. It still booted but gave me a phone offline message so it wasn't too disastrous.

The tool was handy though because it contains the firmware in a file called a.tar. I decided to use Linux as some people had found it more reliable. I had to use webos doctor to get the phone into developer mode. It would fail at the 64% mark which was the stage for flashing modem firmware. It had done it's job though and I used WebOS Quickinstall to copy the a.tar to the /tmp folder on the phone. I then used the novacom terminal and the pmmodermupdater command from earlier in this thread and all is working like a charm. 1.4.1 on 3 network.

*edit* Spoke too soon. Now it's looking for a network code after I rebooted.
    Last edited by windywoo; 05/20/2010 at 02:09 AM.
    Just unlock the damn thing.
    Well I spent money on this Rebel SIM so I wanted to exhaust that option before spending any more.

Changed the Rebel back to mode 1 and I am flying.
    I was having trouble getting any data to work on my Pre.
    Its a UK O2 pre with a UK Orange sim.
    Running 1.4.1 with rebel 2.
    I had actioned the baseband downgrade noted above the get back upto 3G. Which I tested and was working fine.

I started to play around with some patches, then much later (when I'd left the reach of my wifi) noticed that I could no longer get any data connection.

So today I looked at the CarrierNetworkSettings.db3 file and found that Orange UK was already there, yet I still couldn't manually update the apn settings, getting error 'unable to write settings'.

Last resort was to webosdoctor back to 1.3, in doing that I had removed all of the patches put on earlier, then I noticed my phone had the 3G icon again. Data connection was working fine.

Had the patches caused this to happen?
    @tomi666 - I doctored by RebelSIM'ed O2 Pre using Sprint's 1.4 Doctor (using meta-doctor) and the phone's working great except that I can't update to newer firmwares.

So should I go for unlocking using nextgenserver's code straightaway or should I doctor again using O2 1.4.1 meta-doctored firmware with phone reflashing disabled, and then unlock the phone???

Please help me out here...I'm slightly confused on this one...
    Bought my Pre GSM from UK and tried using Rebel sim cause I didn't want to lose warranty.
    Had problem with 3G after upgrading to WebOS 1.4.1
    Had problem with the baseband downgrade installation so I decided to do phone unlock instead, after getting horrible support from Rebelsim.
    I would suggest everyone to ditch the idea of using Rebelsim and go phone unlock instead. Save you all the trouble and money on the useless Rebelsim.
    @tomi666
    Thanks for your help! I've got an unlocked Pre! Woohoo! Now lets just hope there's no weird things happening again via the updates...crossing fingers that this is permanent..

@ALFY
    While I agree with you (and now even more after unlocking), I think RebelSIM deserves some credit for letting us early adopters from other markets/carriers to be able to sample, love, and use the Pre while somebody worked on unlocking it...
    not sure...but a possibility maybe to buy an O2 sim pack off eBay UK and ask the seller to register for you..that way you'll have an O2 number and be an O2 customer I guess that O2 will then be able to support...
  20.    #500  
    Lots of users can confirm this unlock will survive all doctoring/updating/resetting/whatevering.
    On a point of information, the NextGen Unlock wont survive a repair where the main PCB board is replaced.

Just got my previously unlocked Pre back from repair (after 3 months) and its locked again. They also seem to have changed the IMEI which probably explains the relock.

Gx