Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1318192021222324252627 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    I can confirm that. Once you get another sim on a signal (off SOS Only), the 1st card will work again.
    I've had this kind of behaviour where a roaming O2 PAYG sim would result in SOS Only for no apparent reason. Rebooting with a T-Mob sim inserted (not roaming), and then rebooting once again with the O2 PAYG corrected this behaviour.
    At least, if that's what you mean...
    Thanks Guys!

In the end I just bought a new Rebel Sim Card and followed Richard's instructions and it worked 1st time perfectly!
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    To all those Windows users my second try in giving comprehensive guide for installing the modem firmware.

- First locate the correct castle modem firmware file from the previous working WebOS Doctor. Example: For GMS version of Pre it is castleumtsfw.tar that is located in resources/webOS.tar file. (You need to unpack the Doctor file with winzip and then untar the webOS.tar).

- Then connect your Pre with USB cable to your PC (it is also a good idea to reboot your Pre before starting this process).

- Then copy the castle***fw.tar into root of your Pre USB drive (Pre needs to be in USB mode).

- After file is copied disconnect and connect your Pre again to get out of the USB mode.

- Then unzip the novaterm application somewhere and open command line and run the novaterm command from the unzipped directory.

- Now you should be connected to your Pre. First move the file into /tmp by executing:
    mv /media/internal/castle***fw.tar /tmp

- Then start the modem updater by executing:
    PmModemUpdater -m -e </tmp/castle***fw.tar

- Just sit back and wait couple minutes for the flashing procedure to finish. After the process is done reboot your Pre and hope for the best.

And of course replace the castle***fw.tar with the correct file name (it depends on the version of your Pre is it GSM or CDMA).

Links to novaterm for windows:
    32-bit: http://tkgeisel.com/stuff/novaterm-1.zip
    64-bit: http://vocshop.com/stuff/novaterm64.zip

Now if someone can test this and verify it works and maybe fill in the not so clear parts. I don't have Windows so I can not verify this process.

I tested this process twice in Linux and it worked but cannot test this on Windows! So do this on your own risk.

EDIT: it looks like the modem fw file needs to be away from the USB dir so I added moving it to the /tmp dir.
    Hi. I have tried this 100 times and I keep getting this from novaterm: /bin/sh:mv/media/internal/castleumts.tar/tmp: Not found. What I am doing wrong? I think perhaps I am not sending the file correctly to the Root directory? Desperate! need help...Thanks!
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Hopefully someone here has alternative links like rapidshare other than the zshare and megauploads, i have been trying to download from these sites without luck..\\

Anyone out there.. please!

thanks

bR
    Can someone post a webos doctor for o2 UK with wifi enabled so i can create my palm pre profile after when i flashed my phone... Many thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon Mich View Post
    Hi. I have tried this 100 times and I keep getting this from novaterm: /bin/sh:mv/media/internal/castleumts.tar/tmp: Not found. What I am doing wrong? I think perhaps I am not sending the file correctly to the Root directory? Desperate! need help...Thanks!
    Try putting spaces between the command and the directories:

mv /media/internal/castleumts.tar /tmp

not

mv/media/internal/castleumts.tar/tmp
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon Mich View Post
    I could not for the life of me use the Novacom app to place the file on the Pre, so I used WebOSQuickInstall instead, much easier and then the procedure works fine after that.

A
    | Nullius in Verba|Treo 650 -> Treo 750V -> Treo Pro -> Pre -> Pre Plus |
    Hi everyone.
    I am running Windows XP Pro and the O2 umts version of the Palm.
    I tried to re flash the modem without success using novacmd and aborted .
    Now I cannot recover at all with any method I have seen. I am trying using novacom to access the palm device and WebOSQuickInstall to move files.
    The webOSDoctor fails at 58% and I can see from the palm log that Palm WEBOSDoctor cannot flash the modem. I have tried versions 1.3.5.2 and 1.4.0
    I always have to start with an attempt at WebOSDoctor because the phone is only the novacom boot type and showing the USB icon when 1st pugged in. After that I use novacom.
    When I use the -f option I can seen that there is no modem to start with. If I repeat it there is still no modem being updated. Options like -m just go round in circles. Commands like PmLinuxModemCmd do not seem to exist.
    PmModemUpdater -v gives 'phone state unknown' and is unable to open the ports to the modem to probe it.
    I have also seen 'modem in download mode' show for some methods.
    I regularly see sh:/sbin/start: not found and similar as if the system lacks commands it needs.

It looks as if the modem cannot be flashed in its current state and does not report back. Does anyone have an idea how to break the modem out of its current condition so i can try to flash it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rosenberger View Post
    This is a complete guide how to get your GSM O2 Locked Pre running on O2 webOS 1.4.1
    while you are now stuck with Sprint webOS 1.4.0

There are several ways to do this. Sconix did some good investigation, and i adopted a lot of the solutions he described. This works for me, i used this method on 3 Pre's with success.

If you find errors in this description or you miss something, please PM me, and i will add it.

ISSUE:
    O2 Palm Pre's Locked to O2 with Rebel or another Unlock card, and running Sprint webOS 1.4.0
    Palm apperantly refuses to upgrade Sprint webOS 1.4.0 to webOS 1.4.1 if it is running on O2 Pre's

ASSUMPTION:
    You have trouble getting to webOS 1.4.1 because you are running Sprint webOS on a O2 locked device with a rebel unlockcard, or an other unlock card.

NOTE: In my case, a booting Pre locks-up my USB host. Thus, preventing the need to boot your PC, disconnect your Pre, if it is booting. Your mileage may vary...
    Also make sure you have a fully charged battery.

Step-By-Step workaround:

1) Backup your data, using the backup application, AND backup your USB drive.
    If you modified the APN database, it is an good idea to backup that too.
    -Did i mention to BACKUP ALL YOUR DATA?? And, Don't forget to Backup!

2) Download O2 webOS Doctor version 1.3.5.2 HERE or HERE:

3) Install the lastest Java version from here: LINK

3a) For Mac OS X, once you've installed Java 1.6, run /Application/Utilities/Java/Java Preferences. Then click and drag Jave SE 6 to top of both list, and exit the program. This will set Java 1.6 as the default version to use. (Thanks Pack21)

4) Remove battery from the Pre, re-insert it, and while pressing the volume UP button, insert the Micro USB cable which is already connected to your computer.
    If done correctly, you see a huge USB icon on your Pre.

5) Execute the webOS Doctor 1.3.5.2. JAR file. Press a few times on the right boxes, and NEXT to flash.

Now, if all works ok, you should have a perfect running O2 PRE, you can login your profile, and download your backup etc. If you get 'SOS only' put your SIM in a different phone, and manually select a different provider. This will reset your SIM key's, and enable 3G again.
    Without 3G, your Pre will NOT get past language selection.

You should now have your Pre running, with O2 webOS 1.3.5.2

Now the next step:

6) Put your pre in developer mode: type webos20090606 launch the appearing icon, and enable it. Reboot.

7) Now on the Pre, enable WiFi, and force to update to OS 1.4.x using the update application in the launcher.

While downloading/updating to webOS 1.4.x: (this takes an half hour or more):

8) Download the modem firmware here: LINK Rapidshare

9) Download WebOSQuickInstall here: LINK PreCentral

Save the files in the same directory as you saved the WebOSDoctor 1.3.5.2 file.

10) If the update is completed, you will notice some strange GSM behaviour. In my case i see the provider 2 times and a roaming icon in the top bar. Leave it as it is, and concentrate:

11) Connect your Pre to your PC using the USB cable, put the Pre in 'Just Charge' mode.

12) Launch WebOsQuickInstall.jar Hit the menu 'Tools' and Linux Commandline.
    If you receive an error, or 'Please connect your device' after selecting Linux Commandline, Power down, and reboot your PC.

13) If you receive 'root@palm-webos-device:' Close the Linux commandline.

14) In WebOS Quick install, press Tools, Send File. Select the castleumtsfw.tar file, and
    type in the destination folder window: /tmp

15) Now hit the menu 'Tools' and Linux Commandline.
    type in the following command: PmModemUpdater -f </tmp/castleumtsfw.tar
    This will take a while. You wil observe 'Phone offline' in the upper status bar. Just wait.
    I did this on 3 Pre's. The procedure takes 4 minutes without ANY response from the terminal, nor Pre.

16) Now, start the phone application, and open the preferences. Disable 'Network Auto-Select', and choose a different operator than your SIM is designed for. Wait a few seconds, and re-enable 'Network Auto-Select'.

If all went ok, you are back in business.

Now you probably want to disable the Push of Palms auto update, which renders your GSM unusable again.
    Enter the following lines in the Linux Commandline of WebOS Quick Install:

mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod -x /usr/bin/UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /
    killall UpdateDaemon

Now disable the developer mode by typing webos20090606 launch the appearing icon, and disable it. Reboot.

**DONE**
    Hi Richard - this is my first post as I just bought a Pre locked to O2 uk and am using Rebel Sim. RSC and Pre seemed to work fine for a day until I got the message that an ungrade to 1.4.1 was 'imminent'. I therefore chose to upgrade to 1.4.1 over WiFi (instead of via my data package). I had all the problems highlighted in this thread i.e. SOS only, no data, SIM appearing to 'die'. Last night, I followed your instructions in post #422 to the letter. I got all the way to point 16 - everything up to that point worked as per your post - but once I set the phone to re-enable auto connect to my network (Orange) the 'R' appeared again and my phone would not connect, and showed 'SOS only'. I have since 'reset' the SIM by placing in my old blackberry. I then put it back into the Pre with the RSC, and calls, texts etc work fine, but no data, and R still there. I was going to just roll back to 1.3.5.2 and use your instructions to lock it there (as I don't plan on buying too many apps in the short term, but would just prefer to have a working phone) - however, before I do was just wondering if you had come across this in your testing and if there is something else that I should do? appreciate your advice.
    Anyone who has been struggling with the question 'How to make the Palm Pre work again after the unfortunate firmware update, while using Debian Linux (not Ubuntu)', please read on:

1/ I've obviously tried to use quite a lot from extremely useful instructions from the threads in this post but it was sconix's guidelines which (when tweaked by myself) helped to solve the problem in my wife's phone (I use Nokia N900, which is much easier to tweak but obviously not as nice aesthetic-wise);

2/ You have to install all the necessary ingredients as to root into your Palm Pre but novacom is persistent to fail to install, so here is a link to find out the reasons why (Ubuntu differs from Debian in that respect), as well as a solution to the problem: Debian Palm Novacom Package ę Linux Sand Garden

3/ Then, more or less, follow sconix's instructions, so:

novacom put file:///tmp/castleumtsfw.tar <castleumtsfw.tar (issued in the directory with the file to be copied into Palm Pre)

novacom open tty:// (that logs you as root into Palm Pre)

PmModemUpdater <tmp/castleumtsfw.tar -f (tried with -m -e but did not work, only had 'No Service' afterwards, so decided to force (-f) the down-date)

Well, hopefully anyone with Debian Squeeze/Sid can find the above useful. It is just unfortunate (for users like myself) that the Palm Pre users have either MS Windows (of any sort), Mac or Ubuntu Linux as their OSs. I have nothing against other OSs, just trying to preserve the status quo ;-)
    Hi i have a palm pre on 1.4 locked to o2. I am aware that i can still use my phone with rebel sim but only wen it is in 2g mode? ive been reading forums all week and have come to the conclusion that i need to either flash my phone and install a earlier version or just download the base band. Is there anychance of a dummies guide to downgrading the baseband or a video as i would really like to get the phone up and running. Thanks in advance
    @ akz_g.... use this method TO THE LETTER and it will work fine. I know because i did it last week after being in the same predicament as you. When you've done it and it works, go back to page 22 and make sure you thank Richard Rosenberger for writing this excellent guide for newbies like us.

This is a complete guide how to get your GSM O2 Locked Pre running on O2 webOS 1.4.1

There are several ways to do this. Sconix did some good investigation, and i adopted a lot of the solutions he described. This works for me, i used this method on 3 Pre's with success.

If you find errors in this description or you miss something, please PM me, and i will add it.

ISSUE:
    O2 Palm Pre's Locked to O2 with Rebel or another Unlock card, and running Sprint webOS 1.4.0
    Palm apperantly refuses to upgrade Sprint webOS 1.4.0 to webOS 1.4.1 if it is running on O2 Pre's

ASSUMPTION:
    You have trouble getting to webOS 1.4.1 because you are running Sprint webOS on a O2 locked device with a rebel unlockcard, or an other unlock card.

NOTE: In my case, a booting Pre locks-up my USB host. Thus, preventing the need to boot your PC, disconnect your Pre, if it is booting. Your mileage may vary...

Step-By-Step workaround:

3a) For Mac OS X, once you've installed Java 1.6, run /Application/Utilities/Java/Java Preferences. Then click and drag Jave SE 6 to top of both list, and exit the program. This will set Java 1.6 as the default version to use. (Thanks Pack21)

4) Remove battery from the Pre, re-insert it, and while pressing the volume UP button, insert the Micro USB cable which is already connected to your computer.

5) Execute the webOS Doctor 1.3.5.2. JAR file. Press a few times on the right boxes, and NEXT to flash.

Now, if all works ok, you should have a perfect running O2 PRE, you can login your profile, and download your backup etc. If you get 'SOS only' put your SIM in a different phone, and manually select a different provider. This will reset your SIM key's, and enable 3G again.

Now the next step:

6) Put your pre in developer mode: type webos20090606 launch the appearing icon, and enable it. Reboot.

7) Now on the Pre, enable WiFi, and force to update to OS 1.4.x using the update application in the launcher.

10) If the update is completed, you will notice some strange GSM behaviour. In my case i see the provider 2 times and a roaming icon in the top bar. Leave it as it is, and concentrate:

11) Connect your Pre to your PC using the USB cable, put the Pre in 'Just Charge' mode.

If you receive an error, or 'Please connect your device' after selecting Linux Commandline, Power down, and reboot your PC.

14) In WebOS Quick install, press Tools, Send File. Select the castleumtsfw.tar file, and

This will take a while. You wil observe 'Phone offline' in the upper status bar. Just wait.
    I did this on 3 Pre's. The procedure takes 4 minutes without ANY response from the terminal, nor Pre.

16) Now, start the phone application, and open the preferences. Disable 'Network Auto-Select', and choose a different operator than your SIM is designed for. Wait a few seconds, and re-enable 'Network Auto-Select'.

Now you probably want to disable the Push of Palms auto update, which renders your GSM unusable again.

mount -o remount,rw /
    mount -o remount,ro /
    killall UpdateDaemon

This will disable the Auto update, and also the manual update.

Now disable the developer mode by typing webos20090606 launch the appearing icon, and disable it. Reboot.

**DONE**

If you want to enable Palms Auto update at a later stage, type the following commands:

mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod +x /usr/bin/UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /

and reboot. Now the auto-update works again, and also the manual update.
    It's a pitty but you won't need Rebel anymore.

The Pre is unlocked, it's not an IMEI method but still this is a permanent unlock.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...41#post2380141
    Finally they fixed Firefox to open new tabs next to the active tab LOL!
    thanks rik95 and thanks richard! i think i am confident that i will be able to do all of this. Just need to no what softwears i need to download to my pc and also how to put my pre into developer mode? Also after i have completed all the steps what firmware will i be running and will i be able to use my t-mobile sim via rebel with 3g?

maxrfon what is the point in commenting when u do not share anything!
    Quote Originally Posted by akz_g View Post
    thanks rik95 and thanks richard! i think i am confident that i will be able to do all of this. Just need to no what softwears i need to download to my pc and also how to put my pre into developer mode? Also after i have completed all the steps what firmware will i be running and will i be able to use my t-mobile sim via rebel with 3g?

maxrfon what is the point in commenting when u do not share anything!
    put your phone in developer mode by simply typing: webos20090606 when you've typed it in on the home screen a symbol will jump up saying developer mode. tap it, and activate it. You'll probably need to restart the phone for it to be activated.

Download the 1.3.5.2 modem firmware here:RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

download the latest 02 firmware (1.4.1) from here: http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/pre/p...p100ueu-wr.jar

and download the webos quick install from the direct link provided in Richard Rosenberger's message (I quoted it all above to your last message)

Put all downloads in a single file, follow Richard's steps, take your time and keep a cool head if you've not done anything like this before. If you follow the steps EXACTLY you'll have a palm pre on 1.4.1 firmware, with 1.3.5.2 modem firmware which works perfectly with rebel sim

ISSUE:

ASSUMPTION:

Step-By-Step workaround:

Now the next step:

mount -o remount,rw /
    mount -o remount,ro /
    killall UpdateDaemon

This will disable the Auto update, and also the manual update.

**DONE**

If you want to enable Palms Auto update at a later stage, type the following commands:

mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod +x /usr/bin/UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /

and reboot. Now the auto-update works again, and also the manual update.
    hi guys, do you have any other links for step 2? zShare download always halts while the megaupload link is only for part 1. I accidentally updated my Pre. Yesterday it was not loading however after using webOS doctor I think it also updated my webOS to 1.4 so now my rebel sim card is useless. It just keeps on asking me to place the APN settings for my phone.
    Good News!
    You may soon be able to kiss your RSC and that PIA castle***fw.tar stuff goodbye:

Palm Pre Unlocker, Unlock Palm Pre Network & SIM locks

Well i am in the progress now. I bought 5 unlock credits, and got a download with instructions, but although the email referres to the "Your Login details to enter in the client SW are above" I did not see, nor receive the login details. Also an "order retreival" did not show up the login details. I have opened a support ticket, and keep you guys posted.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Hi all
    Has anyone got any ideas how to get at the ?destryed? modem if PmModemUpdater and WebOSDoctor cannot get at the modem any more? See my post 449.
  18.    #458  
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsfire View Post
    Hi all
    Has anyone got any ideas how to get at the ?destryed? modem if PmModemUpdater and WebOSDoctor cannot get at the modem any more? See my post 449.
    Sounds like the modem has become corrupt if its failing to flash...Palm warranty probably your only solution.

Gx
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Seems you can unlock your Pre for £ 25.00.
    Palm Pre Unlocker, Unlock Palm Pre Network & SIM locks
    I bought the kit and still have not been able to get it work. You need to be very comfortable with the developer tools... if you are not regularly hacking the Pre, this solution is not for you. The SIM solution is really much simpler.
    I bought a Pre second hand off ebay and a Rebel SIM with the hope of unlocking it. The listing said it was locked to O2, but it worked first time on 3 with the Rebel SIM. I thought it might be an earlier firmware but it is definitely saying 1.4.0 in the Info section. There is no flash app though, and no paid apps on the store. If I check for updates it says there are none, although I thought the firmware was up to 1.4.1 by now. It is definitely not a Sprint firmware as it says Worldready 1.2

Can anyone tell me what I should do to upgrade to 1.4.1 or to see paid apps in the store? Is it even worth my while doing this, since all other things seem to be working nicely, and I am happy with what I have bought. I just would like to know how risky the procedure would be.

And I am in Northern Ireland so we should have an official app store as far as I am aware.
    Last edited by windywoo; 04/16/2010 at 01:46 PM.