Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 121718192021222324252627 LastLast
    Hi,

I flashed my modem using SCONIX method. I have a working 1.4.0 with 3G. Now how should I upgrade to 1.4.1?

Can you please guide me with an easy step by step method to upgrade to a working 1.4.1

Many Thanks in advance.
    This is a complete guide how to get your GSM O2 Locked Pre running on O2 webOS 1.4.1
    while you are now stuck with Sprint webOS 1.4.0

There are several ways to do this. Sconix did some good investigation, and i adopted a lot of the solutions he described. This works for me, i used this method on 3 Pre's with success.

If you find errors in this description or you miss something, please PM me, and i will add it.

ISSUE:
    O2 Palm Pre's Locked to O2 with Rebel or another Unlock card, and running Sprint webOS 1.4.0
    Palm apperantly refuses to upgrade Sprint webOS 1.4.0 to webOS 1.4.1 if it is running on O2 Pre's

ASSUMPTION:
    You have trouble getting to webOS 1.4.1 because you are running Sprint webOS on a O2 locked device with a rebel unlockcard, or an other unlock card.

NOTE: In my case, a booting Pre locks-up my USB host. Thus, preventing the need to boot your PC, disconnect your Pre, if it is booting. Your mileage may vary...
    Also make sure you have a fully charged battery.

Step-By-Step workaround:

1) Backup your data, using the backup application, AND backup your USB drive.
    If you modified the APN database, it is an good idea to backup that too.
    -Did i mention to BACKUP ALL YOUR DATA?? And, Don't forget to Backup!

2) Download O2 webOS Doctor version 1.3.5.2 HERE or HERE:

3) Install the lastest Java version from here: LINK

3a) For Mac OS X, once you've installed Java 1.6, run /Application/Utilities/Java/Java Preferences. Then click and drag Jave SE 6 to top of both list, and exit the program. This will set Java 1.6 as the default version to use. (Thanks Pack21)

4) Remove battery from the Pre, re-insert it, and while pressing the volume UP button, insert the Micro USB cable which is already connected to your computer.
    If done correctly, you see a huge USB icon on your Pre.

5) Execute the webOS Doctor 1.3.5.2. JAR file. Press a few times on the right boxes, and NEXT to flash.

Now, if all works ok, you should have a perfect running O2 PRE, you can login your profile, and download your backup etc. If you get 'SOS only' put your SIM in a different phone, and manually select a different provider. This will reset your SIM key's, and enable 3G again.
    Without 3G, your Pre will NOT get past language selection.

You should now have your Pre running, with O2 webOS 1.3.5.2

Now the next step:

6) Put your pre in developer mode: type webos20090606 launch the appearing icon, and enable it. Reboot.

7) Now on the Pre, enable WiFi, and force to update to OS 1.4.x using the update application in the launcher.

While downloading/updating to webOS 1.4.x: (this takes an half hour or more):

8) Download the modem firmware here: LINK Rapidshare

9) Download WebOSQuickInstall here: LINK PreCentral

Save the files in the same directory as you saved the WebOSDoctor 1.3.5.2 file.

10) If the update is completed, you will notice some strange GSM behaviour. In my case i see the provider 2 times and a roaming icon in the top bar. Leave it as it is, and concentrate:

11) Connect your Pre to your PC using the USB cable, put the Pre in 'Just Charge' mode.

12) Launch WebOsQuickInstall.jar Hit the menu 'Tools' and Linux Commandline.
    If you receive an error, or 'Please connect your device' after selecting Linux Commandline, Power down, and reboot your PC.

13) If you receive 'root@palm-webos-device:' Close the Linux commandline.

14) In WebOS Quick install, press Tools, Send File. Select the castleumtsfw.tar file, and
    type in the destination folder window: /tmp

15) Now hit the menu 'Tools' and Linux Commandline.
    type in the following command: PmModemUpdater -f </tmp/castleumtsfw.tar
    This will take a while. You wil observe 'Phone offline' in the upper status bar. Just wait.
    I did this on 3 Pre's. The procedure takes 4 minutes without ANY response from the terminal, nor Pre.

16) Now, start the phone application, and open the preferences. Disable 'Network Auto-Select', and choose a different operator than your SIM is designed for. Wait a few seconds, and re-enable 'Network Auto-Select'.

If all went ok, you are back in business.

Now you probably want to disable the Push of Palms auto update, which renders your GSM unusable again.
    Enter the following lines in the Linux Commandline of WebOS Quick Install:

mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod -x /usr/bin/UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /
    killall UpdateDaemon

This will disable the Auto update, and also the manual update.

Now disable the developer mode by typing webos20090606 launch the appearing icon, and disable it. Reboot.

**DONE**

If you want to enable Palms Auto update at a later stage, type the following commands:

mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod +x /usr/bin/UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /

and reboot. Now the auto-update works again, and also the manual update.
    Last edited by Richard Rosenberger; 04/13/2010 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Typo's, URL corrected, additions and corrections.
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing!
    Hi Richard

I tried installing the 1.3.5.2 webOS Doctor but I still get SOS Only, I've tried resetting SIM keys and using an O2 sim card without a rebel sim and it still says SOS Only

Please Help!
    Quote Originally Posted by dazpinto View Post
    Hi Richard

I tried installing the 1.3.5.2 webOS Doctor but I still get SOS Only, I've tried resetting SIM keys and using an O2 sim card without a rebel sim and it still says SOS Only

Please Help!
    Try again, use different phones, with, or without the RSC.
    You MUST get your Sim straight. Or, borrow a card just to start your Pre, and login to your profile. if that works, you can reset the key's with the Pre.

Richard
    I tried this and was able to flash to the 1.3.5.2 but when powering up, I select the language and get the message that says to call my network provider and have my sim activated.. So I powered down, reseated the sim and now get "Enter Unlock Code". I am using a rebel sim and attempting to get this UK phone to work on AT&T in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rosenberger View Post
    This is a complete guide how to get your GSM O2 Locked Pre running on O2 webOS 1.4.1
    while you are now stuck with Sprint webOS 1.4.0

There are several ways to do this. Sconix did some good investigation, and i adopted a lot of the solutions he described. This works for me, i used this method on 3 Pre's with success.

If you find errors in this description or you miss something, please PM me, and i will add it.

ISSUE:
    O2 Palm Pre's Locked to O2 with Rebel or another Unlock card, and running Sprint webOS 1.4.0
    Palm apperantly refuses to upgrade Sprint webOS 1.4.0 to webOS 1.4.1 if it is running on O2 Pre's

ASSUMPTION:
    You have trouble getting to webOS 1.4.1 because you are running Sprint webOS on a O2 locked device with a rebel unlockcard, or an other unlock card.

NOTE: In my case, a booting Pre locks-up my USB host. Thus, preventing the need to boot your PC, disconnect your Pre, if it is booting. Your mileage may vary...
    Also make sure you have a fully charged battery.

Step-By-Step workaround:

1) Backup your data, using the backup application, AND backup your USB drive.
    If you modified the APN database, it is an good idea to backup that too.
    -Did i mention to BACKUP ALL YOUR DATA?? And, Don't forget to Backup!

2) Download O2 webOS Doctor version 1.3.5.2 here or here:

3) Install the lastest Java version from here: LINK

4) Remove battery from the Pre, re-insert it, and while pressing the volume UP button, insert the Micro USB cable which is already connected to your computer.
    If done correctly, you see a huge USB icon on your Pre.

5) Execute the webOS Doctor 1.3.5.2. JAR file. Press a few times on the right boxes, and NEXT to flash.

Now, if all works ok, you should have a perfect running O2 PRE, you can login your profile, and download your backup etc. If you get 'SOS only' put your SIM in a different phone, and manually select a different provider. This will reset your SIM key's, and enable 3G again.
    Without 3G, your Pre will NOT get past language selection.

You should now have your Pre running, with O2 webOS 1.3.5.2

Now the next step:

6) Put your pre in developer mode: type webos20090606 launch the appearing icon, and enable it. Reboot.

7) Now on the Pre, enable WiFi, and force to update to OS 1.4.x using the update application in the launcher.

While downloading/updating to webOS 1.4.x: (this takes an half hour or more):

8) Download the modem firmware here: LINK Rapidshare

9) Download WebOSQuickInstall here: LINK PreCentral

Save the files in the same directory as you saved the WebOSDoctor 1.3.5.2 file.

10) If the update is completed, you will notice some strange GSM behaviour. In my case i see the provider 2 times and a roaming icon in the top bar. Leave it as it is, and concentrate:

11) Connect your Pre to your PC using the USB cable, put the Pre in 'Just Charge' mode.

If you receive an error, or 'Please connect your device' after selecting Linux Commandline, Power down, and reboot your PC.

13) If you receive 'root@palm-webos-device:' Close the Linux commandline.

14) In WebOS Quick install, press Tools, Send File. Select the castleumtsfw.tar file, and
    type in the destination folder window: /tmp

15) Now hit the menu 'Tools' and Linux Commandline.
    type in the following command: PmModemUpdater -f </tmp/castleumtsfw.tar
    This will take a while. You wil observe 'Phone offline' in the upper status bar. Just wait.
    I did this on 3 Pre's. The procedure takes 4 minutes without ANY response from the terminal, nor Pre.

16) Now, start the phone application, and open the preferences. Disable 'Network Auto-Select', and choose a different operator than your SIM is designed for. Wait a few seconds, and re-enable 'Network Auto-Select'.

If all went ok, you are back in business.

Now you probably want to disable the Push of Palms auto update, which renders your GSM unusable again.
    Enter the following lines in the Linux Commandline of WebOS Quick Install:

mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod -x /usr/bin/UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /
    killall UpdateDaemon

Now disable the developer mode by typing webos20090606 launch the appearing icon, and disable it. Reboot.

**DONE**
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Richard,

the download links of step two do not show in Chrome?
    hey guys, I formatted my phone and it asked me to select language and after selecting lang ...... it keeps on showing setting language ........... plz help
    Quote Originally Posted by Sjengie View Post
    Richard,

the download links of step two do not show in Chrome?
    Corrected...
    Quote Originally Posted by arif1490 View Post
    hey guys, I formatted my phone and it asked me to select language and after selecting lang ...... it keeps on showing setting language ........... plz help
    Your Pre can't get data or network access.....
    Get your SIM to work with 3G, or borrow a working SIM

see at step 5:
    Now, if all works ok, you should have a perfect running O2 PRE, you can login your profile, and
    download your backup etc. If you get 'SOS only' put your SIM in a different phone, and manually select a different provider. This will reset your SIM key's, and enable 3G again. Without 3G, your Pre will NOT get past language selection.
    thanx for the reply

its asking for palm profile ............ what is it ?

plz help me ......
    Quote Originally Posted by arif1490 View Post
    thanx for the reply

its asking for palm profile ............ what is it ?

plz help me ......
    Read the documentation. Create a new profile if this is new to you. Otherwise, log in to the profile you created earlier.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Richard,

before giving it a try, what about if my provider is not listed in the OS 1352 carriernetworksettings dbase?

Can I add it manually without risking it will not accept?

I had similar issues before when upgrading O2 1.4 and eventually had to switch to Sprint OS
    Last edited by Sjengie; 04/05/2010 at 04:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lesfen View Post
    I tried this and was able to flash to the 1.3.5.2 but when powering up, I select the language and get the message that says to call my network provider and have my sim activated.. So I powered down, reseated the sim and now get "Enter Unlock Code". I am using a rebel sim and attempting to get this UK phone to work on AT&T in the US.
    I spent two months banging my head against the wall trying to get the Rebel Sim II card to work with all different types of AT&T SIM cards in a Locked Palm Pre device. Never succeeded. Finally gave up and sold the device to someone who could use it in it's locked condition. I don't know if RSC will ever work with an AT&T SIM card in a locked Palm Pre!

I purchased an unlocked Movistar Palm Pre and it has worked perfect with an AT&T SIM card right out of the box (NO RSC NEEDED). No fuss , no muss. Sans 3G of course, but with the AT&T Palm Pre Plus coming right around the corner I can live with EDGE a short while.

If you or anyone has been able to get the RSC to work with an AT&T SIM card in any locked Palm Pre, I'd sure like to read about it!

Thanks,
    TTB
    Read the documentation. Create a new profile if this is new to you. Otherwise, log in to the profile you created earlier.
    I dont know about the old profile, so I tried creating anew one

but its says

Sign-In Failed

you need to be connected to your wireless service provider's network to sign-in.When you are in a location with service, please try again.

what does this actually mean ?
    Well Richard Rosenberger, you've done it again! Many thanks for that perfect guide!! now up and running on 1.4.0 with rebel sim, 3G etc all working.

Am I ok to update to 1.4.1 using the same method now, or should I just kill all updates and wait for something more substantial?

Hello Richard

Thanks for the tutorial....but i cant launch the WebOsQuickinstall.....its says to setup new webosdoctor...nothing appeans....and i cant open tools...i reboot pc and nothing...maby is the usb charge of palm.

help me

EDIT 1:

Palm Friends help the noobs

to launch the Quickinstall is need this....lol

For Mac OS X, once you've installed Java 1.6, run /Application/Utilities/Java/Java Preferences. Then click and drag Jave SE 6 to top of both list, and exit the program. This will set Java 1.6 as the default version to use.

now it works.

EDIT 2:

I LOVE RICHARD ROSENBERG

Every things works......

i have a palm pre by 1 day, a movistar with RSC in a network PTG with WebOS 1.4.1 and 3G like a charme.

thanks Richard for the great tutorial.
    Last edited by pack21; 04/07/2010 at 06:02 PM.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    thx Richard

I have succesfully switched to O2 UK 1.4.1
    I managed to register my CC details and made my first purchase thru the (UK?) apps store !

However there is one app i really would like to buy (Ultralingua dictionary) but it seems to be US limited only for now :-(

Let's see what the future will bring us.
    The paid apps are a pain in the **** because on the Irish Pres the prices are all in Sterling!

Sort it out Palm!

A
    | Nullius in Verba|Treo 650 -> Treo 750V -> Treo Pro -> Pre -> Pre Plus |
  19.    #439  
    Quote Originally Posted by ascalon View Post
    The paid apps are a pain in the **** because on the Irish Pres the prices are all in Sterling!

Sort it out Palm!

A
    Im in Ireland and prices are

Gx
    plz help me @richard mate