Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
    This worked for me too.

O2 in Ireland with a Vodafone SIM via a Rebel SIM card.

Only hassle was I could not get Novacom to move the file. No matter where I put it it just could not find the castleumtsfw.tar file.

So I used WebOSQuickInstal instead and it worked fine.

Sucks to you Palm/02!

A
    | Nullius in Verba|Treo 650 -> Treo 750V -> Treo Pro -> Pre -> Pre Plus |
    I got another working method, but looks like it does the same as 1.3.5.2 modem downgrade (Sconix method).

method:
    1: download org. webOS doctor 1.3.5.2 O2 UK (to downgrade modem)
    2: run webOS doctor and reboot in USB mode before choosing language (battery unplug)
    3: compile a meta doctor of 1.4.0 sprint with, no modem (optional: no activation, no upload deamon, wifi on, first use on.)
    4: run the compiled meta doctor 1.4.0 sprint
    5: reboot device and working for me \o/
    Last edited by runebune; 03/09/2010 at 07:42 AM.
    I'm on Virgin Mobile in the UK.
    Sconix method worked for me too, but only after including the -o parameter and setting the Pre into Aeroplane mode before down-dating the modem software.
    All my tweaks etc needed reinstalling manually afterwards but now everything works properly (phew!). Thanks again to Sconix.
    Quote Originally Posted by c_man View Post
    In my Device Info, I have:
    VERSION: Palm WebOS 1.4.0
    CONFIGURATION: Sprint 2.3
    ...same as yourself?
    Yes
    Has anyone noticed the phone not picking up signal as good as before following the 1.4 update and applying Sconix's fix? I have pretty poor coverage in my neighbourhood and before the update the phone switched to 2G when reception was weak, now it seems to stay on 3G and drop the signal instead, forcing me to turn off/on phone radio or sometimes worse, reboot the device before it is able to pick up signal again.
    Finally I can write down my success story. I have a O2 UK Pre and T-Mobile Netherlands SIM with Rebel II. After the upgrade I was in Roaming mode an unable to write APN settings. A few days into this situation I drove to Germany and the Phone went into SOS-only mode. After returning home it stayed in that mode, so I started searching the forum for possible solutions.
    The first thing I did was use my old Sony-Ericsson telephone to reset the Rebel card, as was posted in this thread. That worked for me and I was back in the roaming mode at least.
    The day after I tried Richards solution. Unfortunately after going through the 2-hour trial I had a Sprint OS that asked for SIM-unlock every 10 secondes without any possibility to change any preferences at all. So I flashed to 1.3.5.2 EU version. The next day it had automatically upgraded to 1.4.0 OTA while charging.
    Today I tried the sconix method and only got it working with the -f flag instead of -o -m -e. So now I am not in Roaming modus anymore, but back to regular T-Mobile NL. Only thing left to do now is edit the database with the APN settings.
    Very odd that seemingly each person has another set of flags that needs to be used with the PMModemUpdater tool.
    Oh, I used WebOS Quick Install on Windows 7.

Cheers
    Dear guys, I need help! I am using O2 Pre with Rebel Sim II.

Here’s the saga of my Pre…

1.Upgraded to 1.4, the phone showed “Phone offline” (instead of Roaming);
    2.Sent the file castleumtsfw.tar to /tmp using WQI
    3.Typed the command “PmModemUpdater -m -e </tmp/castleumtsfw.tar”
    4.Phone restarted but still showed “Phone offline”
    5.Doctored to 1.3.5.2, when the phone restarts, it keeps loading at the start up screen and cannot load to select language for activation.
    6.then here is a message “your phone is experiencing an error that cannot be resolved”

Did I brick my Pre? What should I do now?
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoMisty View Post
    Finally I can write down my success story. I have a O2 UK Pre and T-Mobile Netherlands SIM with Rebel II. After the upgrade I was in Roaming mode an unable to write APN settings. A few days into this situation I drove to Germany and the Phone went into SOS-only mode. After returning home it stayed in that mode, so I started searching the forum for possible solutions.
    The first thing I did was use my old Sony-Ericsson telephone to reset the Rebel card, as was posted in this thread. That worked for me and I was back in the roaming mode at least.
    The day after I tried Richards solution. Unfortunately after going through the 2-hour trial I had a Sprint OS that asked for SIM-unlock every 10 secondes without any possibility to change any preferences at all. So I flashed to 1.3.5.2 EU version. The next day it had automatically upgraded to 1.4.0 OTA while charging.
    Today I tried the sconix method and only got it working with the -f flag instead of -o -m -e. So now I am not in Roaming modus anymore, but back to regular T-Mobile NL. Only thing left to do now is edit the database with the APN settings.
    Very odd that seemingly each person has another set of flags that needs to be used with the PMModemUpdater tool.
    Oh, I used WebOS Quick Install on Windows 7.

Cheers
    Big thanks to Sconix and GeoMisty and Others. I downgraded my Pre many times (in novaterm, novacom, quckinstall with many combinations of parameters) without positive effect. I had the same problem discribed by Enrconc in #271,#274. Problem was resolved today in WebOS Quick Install, with parameter only -f, WinXP. I'm in ERA network in Poland.
    Last edited by slawlang; 03/11/2010 at 03:48 AM.
    has anyone experienced issues with SMS text after downgrading their GSM pre (mine is a movistar spain) to the modified sprint 1.0.2 and then upgrading to sprint 1.4? I did this last night, and now I noticed one of the changes is that the text app shows the number of characters being typed. I cannot type more than 20 characters. The app simply will not allow this. Any idea why this could be? TIA.
    Last edited by silva; 03/11/2010 at 11:22 AM.
    I bought an O2 UK Pre off ebay with a profile already set up on it and when i updated to 1.4 it went into sos only so i looked for solutions. I was told i had to do a partial erase and set up a new profile then downgrade but when i did the partial erase and tried to set up a new profile it got stuck on the language selection and now it wont work.Can someone help?
    Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    has anyone experienced issues with SMS text after downgrading their GSM pre (mine is a movistar spain) to the modified sprint 1.0.2 and then upgrading to sprint 1.4? I did this last night, and now I noticed one of the changes is that the text app shows the number of characters being typed. I cannot type more than 20 characters. The app simply will not allow this. Any idea why this could be? TIA.

Hello silva, there is another way to get rebel working and no bug with 1.4 in your pre. Look here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...ml#post2289253

Hola silva, hay otra forma de tener la rebel trabajando sin fallos en la pre con la 1.4. Mira el enlace.

Además te añado que en todopocketpc en la sección de webos tengo posteado el método en spanish. A mi me va sin problemas. Dale un vistazo y si no lo encuentras te mando el enlace.
    I read that too, but I figured it would be easier to just use the Spring WebOS. Thanks though.
    Hi guys,

I have been reading this thread since webos 1.4 launch. First of all I thank you all for your contribution and assistance.

I will really appreciate if anyone could please help me - MY ISSUE IS LITTLE WEIRD

I using RSC with Vodafone UK. I never received any webos 1.4 update until yesterday. I was actually thankful after reading these issues. I didn't accept to update it yesterday but somehow it updated itself automatically when I was asleep.

For me, Its shows VodafoneUK network (so no SOS). Its also showing 3G and its well connecting to 3g. The only problem I'm facing is the roaming(R) sign. I didn't have any issues which was certain. My 3G is working, network is Vodafone but just the roaming sign is always on.

CAN ANYONE OF YOU PLEASE SUGGEST ME WHAT SHALL I DO? Do I follow any procedure or anything else you would recommend.
    I will be really obliged.

I know you are busy but a little help can bring peace to my mind. Many Thanks
  14.    #294  
    Quote Originally Posted by Invincible View Post
    Hi guys,

I have been reading this thread since webos 1.4 launch. First of all I thank you all for your contribution and assistance.

I will really appreciate if anyone could please help me - MY ISSUE IS LITTLE WEIRD

I using RSC with Vodafone UK. I never received any webos 1.4 update until yesterday. I was actually thankful after reading these issues. I didn't accept to update it yesterday but somehow it updated itself automatically when I was asleep.

For me, Its shows VodafoneUK network (so no SOS). Its also showing 3G and its well connecting to 3g. The only problem I'm facing is the roaming(R) sign. I didn't have any issues which was certain. My 3G is working, network is Vodafone but just the roaming sign is always on.

CAN ANYONE OF YOU PLEASE SUGGEST ME WHAT SHALL I DO? Do I follow any procedure or anything else you would recommend.
    I will be really obliged.

I know you are busy but a little help can bring peace to my mind. Many Thanks
    If everything is working and you can live with an R at the top of the screen then you should have no problem. You aren't paying roaming charges if that's what you are worried about.

Gx
    Yesterday, glorious day..!!!
    My Pre (GSM from O2 UK) working 100% with webOS 1.4.0 and modem FirmWare 132 with Claro in CHILE (unlocked with RSC2).
    After two weeks of trying (and error after error) I finally got it.

Many thanks to PreCentral community to share generously their knowledge and experiences, and particularly in this issue and in this thread to Sconix (#160), GeoMisty (#286) and slawlang (#288) .

Here is a resume of what I got with an Ubuntu 9.10 system, after opening a terminal window (previously I did the same as sconix method):

enrconc@enrconc-desktop:~$ novacom -t open tty://
    root@palm-webos-device:/# cp /media/internal/castleumtsfw.tar /tmp
    root@palm-webos-device:/# PmModemUpdater -f </tmp/castleumtsfw.tar
    $ Modem is powered-on
    Warning! Please make sure you have a healthy battery or using a power supply before you do your update
    Warning! You can potentially trashed your modem firmware if system lost the power in the middle of updating firmware
    Warning! To Stop it now, ctrl+c

PmModemUpdater Version 5.2.0.8 Dec. 2009 @Palm Inc
    $ Resetting the modem before flashing.....
    $ Probing modem.............
    * Modem Firmware Info *
    * COMP DATE = Jan 29 201018:56:2101/29/2010
    * REL DATE = 01/29/2010
    * HW VERSION = 100D00E1
    * MOB MODEL = BA
    * RADIO TYPE = UMTS
    * DEVICE TYPE = CASTLE
    * EX BUILD ID = CU0.5.27(241)
    $ EVT3 or later device found, no need to config charging!
    $ Finished detecting Modem!
    $ Packge FW Version (132) | Modem FW Version(241)
    $ Firmware update from (241) to (132) is forced!
    $ Reconnecting to modem.......
    $ Flashing done!Please wait while resetting the modem..... 01
    -----------------------------------------------------
    $ Firmware Flashing Time: 3 Minutes: 3 Seconds
    $ Writing PALM Standard NV Items completed!
    $ NV restore Success!
    $ Enable handshaking in ROM Enable handshaking in ROM
    $ Please wait while restoring TIL/WAN.....
    $ Your device is ready for use.

AFTER THAT, some mode changes from Mode 1 to Mode 3 to Mode 1 of RSC in a non smart phone (Sony Ericsson w610) made possible to succeed.
    Last edited by enrconc; 03/13/2010 at 02:28 PM. Reason: wrong RSC in title... (must be RSC)
    Thanks very much for replying. So, shall I leave it intact? Having 'R' will in anyway affect the services? Does it affect the battery? Thanks in advance.
    There is another problem... Maybe it is only in my Pre. After downgrading i had 3G about 2 days and then there is no 3G. GSM works without mistakes. I did downgrading 2 times and after 2 days 3g disappear. My downgrade was described in #288. Have You this problem..?
    Many thanks to Sconix for the solution. I'm using an Irish O2 Pre on Vodafone with RSC.

I had to use the -f option. I assume that's 'force', didn't get a change to read the man page.

Working perfectly and 1.4 GUI is much faster :-) Much nicer solution than doctoring the phone.

Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by ascalon View Post

Only hassle was I could not get Novacom to move the file. No matter where I put it it just could not find the castleumtsfw.tar file.
    If you copy the file to the USB partition as normal, then, when you shell onto the phone, you can reach this partition via /media/internal
    Quote Originally Posted by tomoqv View Post
    Has anyone noticed the phone not picking up signal as good as before following the 1.4 update and applying Sconix's fix? I have pretty poor coverage in my neighbourhood and before the update the phone switched to 2G when reception was weak, now it seems to stay on 3G and drop the signal instead, forcing me to turn off/on phone radio or sometimes worse, reboot the device before it is able to pick up signal again.
    Does anybody know if 2G and 3G modem settings are in the same file on the Pre? I am almost certain now that I have only 3G. Changing the phone settings to 2G gives me SOS only. Extremely annoying as the 2G signal strength is much better than the 3G dito in my neighbourhood. Did the update followed by Sconix's fix kill 2G for anybody else?